My Poor Frightened Kitties!

Old May 2nd 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default My Poor Frightened Kitties!

Man, what a mess we have here! They are "improving" our subdivision by
laying new drainage pipes - they say we're more liable to flood now that
they have torn down all the woods surrounding our neighborhood in order to
build a bunch of cookie-cutter houses,* even though we haven't flooded in
this area in the last 100 years!

The noise of the construction machines right outside my windows is
unbelievable! My girls are frightened to death and, except for Bandit who
isn't afraid of anything, are all hiding under beds. There are pictures
taken from my front door...

http://www.possibleplaces.com/Construction/

Purrs please that they will take less than the estimated 3 months doing
this!

* Another side effect is that it has destroyed the habitat of numerous wild
animals including some rare species of herons!!!

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 2nd 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
Man, what a mess we have here! They are "improving" our subdivision
by laying new drainage pipes - they say we're more liable to flood
now that they have torn down all the woods surrounding our
neighborhood in order to build a bunch of cookie-cutter houses,* even
though we haven't flooded in this area in the last 100 years!

The noise of the construction machines right outside my windows is
unbelievable! My girls are frightened to death and, except for
Bandit who isn't afraid of anything, are all hiding under beds.
There are pictures taken from my front door...

http://www.possibleplaces.com/Construction/

Purrs please that they will take less than the estimated 3 months
doing this!

* Another side effect is that it has destroyed the habitat of
numerous wild animals including some rare species of herons!!!

Poor you! Lots of purrs for peace asap.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old May 2nd 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Oh dear, it is going to be noisy and dusty for you. I feel for you. Many
years ago, the
road next to the office building where I worked was being widened. We felt
the vibrations
and the power went off several times. It seems to take forever before they
finished. The
widened road is a lot nicer though.

Winnie

CatNipped

Old May 2nd 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
Man, what a mess we have here! They are "improving" our subdivision
by laying new drainage pipes - they say we're more liable to flood
now that they have torn down all the woods surrounding our
neighborhood in order to build a bunch of cookie-cutter houses,* even
though we haven't flooded in this area in the last 100 years!

The noise of the construction machines right outside my windows is
unbelievable! My girls are frightened to death and, except for
Bandit who isn't afraid of anything, are all hiding under beds. There are
pictures taken from my front door...

http://www.possibleplaces.com/Construction/

Purrs please that they will take less than the estimated 3 months
doing this!

* Another side effect is that it has destroyed the habitat of
numerous wild animals including some rare species of herons!!!

{{{{{Lori & Ben, Bandit, Demi, Jessie & Samazon}}}}}

I can definately sympathise with you on that - not too long after we moved
into our "house in the country", just outside of city limits (one block, to
be exact), the 80 acre wheat field behind us was sold and a subdivision went
up. Houses on lots 1/3 the size of ours, selling for triple the cost of ours
(with none of the charm and history), and, next thing we know, city is
annexing our section! When they put in the sewer & water for the
subdivision, they tore up our road, used a backhoe with jackhammer extension
to dig deep into the bedrock, and they started at 6am, which shook our house
(I'm surprised it's still standing), and though the never blocked our
driveway, they did block the street just south of our driveway, with a
six-foot tall pile (used to fill the hole as the laid the pipes) of gravel
that was mostly hidden from the southbound traffic by the hill we live on.
They did have the proverbial "road closed to through traffic" at the bottom
of the hill north of us, but there was enough room for those of us that
lived between the sign and the actual blockage to go around. Jeff got a
kick of whipping around that sign when someone was behind us, and driving
normal speed up the hill, as if the road were not blocked at all, and then
whipping into our driveway at the last possible second, only to leave the
driver behind us to slam on their breaks or hit a mountain of gravel. I'm
sure these drivers cursed us for doing that - but it was funny . Even
funnier is one morning, leaving for work, seeing a bumper-shaped impression
in the pile of gravel someone had made during the night. After that,
though, they did put a marker-with-flashing-yellow-light between our
driveway and the mountain-o-gravel, but that partially block our across the
street neighbor (the rental house) driveway, so they moved it to the *top*
of the mountain..

Old May 2nd 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Tue, 2 May 2006 10:14:28 -0500, "CatNipped"
yodeled:

Man, what a mess we have here! They are "improving" our subdivision by
laying new drainage pipes - they say we're more liable to flood now that
they have torn down all the woods surrounding our neighborhood in order to
build a bunch of cookie-cutter houses,* even though we haven't flooded in
this area in the last 100 years!

The noise of the construction machines right outside my windows is
unbelievable! My girls are frightened to death and, except for Bandit who
isn't afraid of anything, are all hiding under beds. There are pictures
taken from my front door...

http://www.possibleplaces.com/Construction/

Purrs please that they will take less than the estimated 3 months doing
this!

* Another side effect is that it has destroyed the habitat of numerous wild
animals including some rare species of herons!!!

Hisspits to them. Purrs for Lori and her gang. It's one thing or
another, isn't it?

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old May 2nd 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Three months! That is outrageous!

((((((((CatNipped and kitties)))))))))

Joy

Old May 2nd 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Ha! Looks like what our front yard is going to look like pretty soon. They
are putting in a 4 foot sidewalk in front of our yard all along the
subdivision. And while we don't mind, actually think it's a good idea, I am
not looking forward to the work. I'm sure it will look very nice once it's
done, but the mess while it's being done is not something I am waiting for.
Our house is pretty well insulated and I'm sure the noise will be minimal,
but if they use those digging machines and such I'm not sure how Lily will
react. Purrs and prayers that your work doesn't take too long to do.
Lily & her mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come

Old May 2nd 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default My Poor Frightened Kitties! YIKES!!!!!

I didn't know they made 'em that big!!!! The bulldozer out front detached
the scoop and attached a jackhammer that, I swear, is as big as my Honda
Accord! When they started using it to break up the cement drainage pipes
under my sidewalk, my whole house started shaking to the point where things
were falling off of shelves.

Jessie must have thought that Sammy finally got big enough to start moving
the earth as she walked (OK, she is close to that point), because Sammy came
pelting into my office with Jessie hot on her heels. 7.5 pound Jessie
proceeded to beat the crap out of 18 pound Sammy - Jessie was seriously
trying to hurt Sammy, fur was literally flying!

The only thing I could think to do was grab my glass of diet coke off my
desk and throw it on the two of them. Jessie shot out of my room and back
up the stairs to go back to cowering under a bed in the cats' bedroom. As
soon as Jessie let Sammy up, Sammy climbed up the front of me and down the
back of me before shooting out of my office to go back to cowering under my
bed.

For a while I just sat here in my office, dazed, covered in blood and diet
coke, wondering how I was going to get the sticky cats out from under the
beds to a) see if either of them were hurt (neither are) and b) clean the
diet coke off of them (still haven't figured that one out yet, I think I'll
just let them lick it off).

As soon as I take a shower in iodine I'm off to PetsMart to pick up some
Felliway.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 2nd 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:

The noise of the construction machines right outside my windows is
unbelievable! My girls are frightened to death and, except for
Bandit who isn't afraid of anything, are all hiding under beds.

If it really does take 3 months, I'll bet the kitties will get used to
the noise. It's new now, and they don't know what it means, so they're
scared. But soon they'll start to see that just because there's a scary
noise out there, doesn't mean anything bad is going to happen to them.
At least, I hope that's what happens! My cats tend to adjust to ongoing
noises that scare them at first - even Licky.

Purrs that they do get used to it. And purrs for *you* not to develop
stress and headaches from the racket!

Joyce