Water for strays in winter?

Old November 22nd 05, 06:23 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Water for strays in winter?

I am brainstorming how to assist my stray during the holidays season
when we would gone for about 10 days.

A friend is willing to come every 1-2 days and put out dry food just
outside the door.

However, I can't figure out what to do about water if the temperatures
are below freezing?
Old November 22nd 05, 07:02 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Ajanta wrote:
I am brainstorming how to assist my stray during the holidays season
when we would gone for about 10 days.

A friend is willing to come every 1-2 days and put out dry food just
outside the door.

However, I can't figure out what to do about water if the temperatures
are below freezing?

don't worry, if it's below freezing there won't be any cat to even feed

Old November 22nd 05, 07:05 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Ajanta wrote:
I am brainstorming how to assist my stray during the holidays season
when we would gone for about 10 days.

A friend is willing to come every 1-2 days and put out dry food just
outside the door.

However, I can't figure out what to do about water if the temperatures
are below freezing?

There are heating elements you can plug in and put into the water dish
for just this reason.
Search any feed supply store, pet store or the Drs. Smith and Foster
website and you should be able to find one.
-L.

Old November 22nd 05, 07:09 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

whitershadeofpale wrote:

don't worry, if it's below freezing there won't be any cat to even feed

just messing! I don't know how cold a cat can stand it, I figure
freezing is peaking.

do you know where the stray goes when it leaves each day?

If it hangs around, maybe there's a place where she can get warm,
I picked up a huge sturdy carboard box today...(Ill mail it to
you...lol)

You can live it in too if you need to

Old November 22nd 05, 07:47 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 18:23:44 GMT, Ajanta wrote:

I am brainstorming how to assist my stray during the holidays season
when we would gone for about 10 days.

A friend is willing to come every 1-2 days and put out dry food just
outside the door.

However, I can't figure out what to do about water if the temperatures
are below freezing?

As always, I can see that a person can not get any help on this
newsgroup, only sarcastic remarks from a bunch of people who think
their **** is better than everyone elses.

So, here is some actual help.
I am a farmer and have barn cats, so I know all about this.

You can buy heated pet bowls at pet stores and farm supply stores.
They are around $20. It's a bowl with a cord on it. Just plug it in
and fill with water. The heating element is built into the bowl.
They draw about 40 watts so they wont run your electric bill way up.
I recommend the larger ones intended for dogs, rather than the smaller
cat ones, especially if there is more than one cat. The bigger ones
dont get tipped...

You should provide shelter for the cats. Use a dog house, wooden box,
even a cardboard box (but cardboard dont last long). Better yet, if
you have a shed or garage, put a cat door on it. Cats do not need to
live in a heated house. They grow fur according to the weather if
they live outdoors. You DO NOT want to toss an indoor cat outdoors in
winter because they did not grow a winter coat, but if they live
outdoors all the time, they do just fine as long as they have shelter
food and water.

It's nice to put old blankets or any clothing in their shelters. Be
sure to point the entrance of the shelter to the south-east. The
winds from the north and west are the ones that are the strongest and
coldest. Farmers always point their livestock shelters to the
south-east too.

On the most severe days of winter, I like to put an old heating pad
under the blankets. Plug it in, and turn it on low. I used to cage
the cats and bring them in the house during the severe cold, but found
that they quickly adapt to the heat and then they find it difficult to
to allergies, which is why I caged them to keep them confined to one
part of the house. But I now find it's better they just stay
outdoors. One advantage for barn cats, they have livestock to keep
them warm, and often find them sitting on the backs of cattle and
horses.

Thanks for caring for the strays.

This message out to give all the goodie-goodie flamers something to
flame..... My plonk button is ready !!!!

Old November 22nd 05, 08:16 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Ajanta" wrote in message
I am brainstorming how to assist my stray during the holidays season
when we would gone for about 10 days.

A friend is willing to come every 1-2 days and put out dry food just
outside the door.

However, I can't figure out what to do about water if the temperatures
are below freezing?

Try a heated water bowl- some are thermostatically controlled to go on only
when the temp drops below 40F. http://tinyurl.com/8wltb

Just remember, heated water evaporates much more quickly in cold temps, so
be sure to get a large bowl- at least 1- 1.5 gallon.

Phil

Old November 22nd 05, 08:33 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Tom Smith wrote:

You can buy heated pet bowls at pet stores and farm supply stores.
They are around $20. It's a bowl with a cord on it. Just plug it in
and fill with water. The heating element is built into the bowl.
They draw about 40 watts so they wont run your electric bill way up.
I recommend the larger ones intended for dogs, rather than the smaller
cat ones, especially if there is more than one cat. The bigger ones
dont get tipped...

This sounds like a great idea, and much safer than the bowls with
exposed heating elements. I wonder if there are any battery-powered
ones for places without electrical outlets?

Old November 22nd 05, 08:41 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Tom has a good point. Where does the cat go at night? If it doesn't get
below freezing for long periods then the water should thaw enough for them
to get a drink during the day. We have chickens and put out a big water and
it melts some most days if the temp doesn't stay below freezing 24/7. Not
sure where you are at.

Also as long as they have been outdoor cats they have figured out a place to
sleep that is protected. I too would advise more than a cardboard box. If
the wind normally blows from one direction I would definitely put it
somewhere away from the direct wind.

Old November 22nd 05, 09:43 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote in message
outdoors. One advantage for barn cats, they have livestock to keep
them warm, and often find them sitting on the backs of cattle and
horses.

I've love to see a picture or two of that.

Old November 22nd 05, 09:53 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I don't have pictures.. but I've seen it in my Dad's barn.. cutest thing
too..

--
Will~

"... so that's how liberty ends, in a round of applause."

Queen Amidala, The revenge of the Syth.

[REPOST] Defeated Yowie Cat anecdotes 11 September 8th 05 11:27 PM
Moscow Winter Stormin Mormon Cat anecdotes 2 January 20th 05 07:32 AM
Water for outdoor cats KellyH Cat health & behaviour 10 December 20th 04 08:13 PM
Trick to make cat drink more water Ablang Cats - misc 28 July 8th 04 12:36 PM
Cat upsetting water mahlon Cats - misc 18 December 24th 03 04:50 AM