fel-o-vax 4 or 5

Old March 6th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default fel-o-vax 4 or 5

Hi everyone; just a quick question. In your opinion, is it better to use
fel-o-vax 4 or 5? I have heard there is more risk of disease with 5 but
would like to get my cats vaccinated with the leukeamia vaccine as well. As
they are all up for yearly boosters soon, I am considering whether upping
them to the 5 might be better.

Old March 6th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"meee" wrote in message
Hi everyone; just a quick question. In your opinion, is it better to use
fel-o-vax 4 or 5?

Neither- too many antigens to give a cat at one time. Also, the side
effects of the Chlamydia psittaci vaccine are more severe than the disease
itself- which is easily treatable and rather uncommon..

If your cats had the FVRCP kitten series and one year booster, they don't
need to be vaccinated for distemper again. If your cats are indoor only,
they don't need the FeLV vaccine, either. The only vaccine I might consider
giving an adult cat is the Ultranasal FHV/FCV every 3 or 4 years. I would
vaccinate the cats against rabies only if required by law- and then I would
only use the non-adjuvanted Merial Purevax vaccine.

Old March 6th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Phil P." wrote in message

"meee" wrote in message
Hi everyone; just a quick question. In your opinion, is it better to use
fel-o-vax 4 or 5?

Neither- too many antigens to give a cat at one time. Also, the side
effects of the Chlamydia psittaci vaccine are more severe than the disease
itself- which is easily treatable and rather uncommon..

If your cats had the FVRCP kitten series and one year booster, they don't
need to be vaccinated for distemper again. If your cats are indoor only,
they don't need the FeLV vaccine, either. The only vaccine I might
consider
giving an adult cat is the Ultranasal FHV/FCV every 3 or 4 years. I would
vaccinate the cats against rabies only if required by law- and then I
would
only use the non-adjuvanted Merial Purevax vaccine.

Thankyou Phil! I am in Australia, so vaccinating cats is rare as we don't
have rabies and other things you have there. All my cats are indoors only,
however one of my girls is an ex-stray, although perfectly healthy in
appearance, I worry sometimes that she may have one of those 'lurker'
diseases that might rear it's ugly head. I haven't had her vaccinated yet,
and my vert has been pushing me to do it, and to vaccinate her 4 month old
kittens( who were born here, are indoors only, but I haven't had vaccinated
yet), but I thought I'd do some research and ask around a bit first. I
really don't want to give them something unless I am 100% positive it will
do them good, and as they are indoors and not in contact with other cats the
risk of infection is low.

Old March 6th 06, 06:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"meee" wrote in message
[...]

I would get the kittens their FVRCP kitten vaccine- but at 4 months, they
would only need one shot of the series. The kitten series usually consists
of three shots spaced 2-3 weeks apart so at least one dose will break
through the kitten's maternal antibodies that normally inactivate the
vaccine. At 4 months old, they no longer have maternal antibodies that
could interfere with vaccine, so one shot and a first year booster a year
later should be good enough for life.

Old March 6th 06, 07:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Phil P." wrote in message

"meee" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. And what does 'FVRCP' stand for, in case of different naming/brand
down here? And should I worry about Jasmine (older ex-stray) The vet checked
her over when she was spayed, I'm not sure how thoroughly, but they told me
she had tapeworm and gave me meds for that, should I be worried about any
diseases? And should I get her vaccinated? My vet is suggesting that I do.

Old March 6th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"meee" wrote in message
[...]

F_eline V_iral R_hino C_alicivirus P_anleukopenia (or Parvovirus)

And should I worry about Jasmine (older ex-stray) The vet checked
her over when she was spayed, I'm not sure how thoroughly, but they told

me
she had tapeworm and gave me meds for that, should I be worried about any
diseases?

If she hasn't had bloodwork done, you might want to think about it- not only
to assess organ function and overall health, but also so you have a baseline
for future reference.

And should I get her vaccinated? My vet is suggesting that I do.

Vaccinated for what? How old is she? Is she an indoor only cat?