Frank's operation

Old October 20th 04, 07:41 AM
Marina

Default Frank's operation

Frank is scheduled for his dental surgery on the 27th. I have to take
him in to the vet school hospital before 8 in the morning and I get to
pick him up after 4 in the afternoon. I know I'll be a nervous wreck all
day. Actually, I'm a nervous wreck already. Frank will be 17 next month,
and it's always a risk to put such an old cat under anaesthesia. He's
also had some high BUN levels, which makes it even more of a risk. But
he has to have that tooth out or it will get infected again. I'll be on
needles and pins until I have him back home, safe and sound and in good
health next week.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old October 20th 04, 08:09 AM
Jeanne Hedge

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:41:02 +0300, Marina
wrote:

Frank is scheduled for his dental surgery on the 27th. I have to take
him in to the vet school hospital before 8 in the morning and I get to
pick him up after 4 in the afternoon. I know I'll be a nervous wreck all
day. Actually, I'm a nervous wreck already. Frank will be 17 next month,
and it's always a risk to put such an old cat under anaesthesia. He's
also had some high BUN levels, which makes it even more of a risk. But
he has to have that tooth out or it will get infected again. I'll be on
needles and pins until I have him back home, safe and sound and in good
health next week.

Natasha, who is 17, had dental surgery about this time last year. This
was after her CRF diagnosis was made. At the time she had an elevated
white cell count (indicating an infection somewhere) in addition to
the elevated BUN and Creatinine levels from her kidney trouble. Other
blood chemistry values were also out of spec.

TED delayed her dental several times, wanting to get her kidney values
back to normal first (didn't want to give her anesthesia while her
kidneys were having trouble), but we weren't able to do that. Finally
I talked them into going ahead with the dental. It turned out that
what was thought to be a badly needed cleaning was the root of a lot
of the trouble - literally. Several of her teeth had dead and rotting
roots! Obviously these teeth were removed, which caused all signs of
infection to go away. Her kidney values went back to what's become
normal for her (BUN normal, Creatinine slightly elevated) too.

Natasha came through it all without problem, although she was a little
irritated at being pilled (antibiotic) for several days afterward.

You and Frank have our support, but given my experience with Tasha, I
bet it will all turn out just fine in the end!

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com

Old October 20th 04, 08:25 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Many, many good vibes heading the way of a very, very special cat in Finland.

You aren't the only one who'll be worrying that day. Frank is very dear to a
wee family over here on the other side of the North Sea.

*hugs* helen s

**$om $

Old October 20th 04, 08:41 AM
Yoj

On the plus side is the fact that sometimes getting dental problems
cleared up can lower the BUN level. Purrs for both of you.

--
Joy

"You can never do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon it
will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson