Litter Dust / Crystals / Love Bites

Old January 2nd 04, 06:14 PM
Mike Harris

Default Litter Dust / Crystals / Love Bites

It seems as if every time I change my kitten Charlie's litter, I
experience some major allergy symptoms centered solely in my eyes over
the next few days. I'm using Fresh Step Clay. Do you think it's an
allergy to their particular brand, or to clay litter in general? I
highly suspect that it could be due to the dust involved in pouring the
new litter; I don't seem to experience the symptoms when raking the
litter for poop, for example. I really don't think that it's due to
Charlie's dander, although I suppose I could be mistaken. Any
suggestions? Should I go get goggles and a dust mask from a hardware
store?

Also, as a possible solution, I had thought seriously about switching to
a crystals brand; Charlie's been remarkably adaptive in adjusting to
things (especially since he is a young 'un -- about four months now),
but I note that you're not supposed to flush the solid waste from
crystals down the toilet. (See http://www.freshstep.com/crystals/faq.html#14.) How do people handle that, then? I'm in an apartment building --
would this mean putting poop into a plastic bag and tossing it each
time? [Wouldn't you eventually run out of plastic bags? ;-)]

One last thing ... Charlie is beginning to give love bites when he's
happy. They're cute as heck, and right now since he has baby teeth they
don't hurt that bad at all. But I'd like to discourage the 'love bite'
behavior, while not alienating him. I've already adopted the "NO!"
(accompanied by occasional water bottle mist) for other bad behavior,
which he's reacted to well. But I'm afraid discouraging him right when
he's being affectionate might train him right out of *any* affectionate
gesture, if you understand what I mean. Any idea? Or is this just
something that you just put up with as part and parcel of being a cat
owner?

Much obliged in advance for your help, folks ...

Mike
Old January 2nd 04, 06:27 PM
MGW

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 11:14:19 -0600, Mike Harris
wrote:

Also, as a possible solution, I had thought seriously about switching to
a crystals brand; Charlie's been remarkably adaptive in adjusting to
things (especially since he is a young 'un -- about four months now),
but I note that you're not supposed to flush the solid waste from
crystals down the toilet. (See http://www.freshstep.com/crystals/faq.html#14.) How do people handle that, then? I'm in an apartment building --
would this mean putting poop into a plastic bag and tossing it each
time? [Wouldn't you eventually run out of plastic bags? ;-)]

I've found the crystals very easy on my allergies (the grain based
ones caused me major respiratory problems!). As to flushing, I just
shake off most of the crystals and flush the poop - I've been doing
that for several years now without any trouble.

Old January 2nd 04, 07:13 PM
m. L. Briggs

wrote:

Also, as a possible solution, I had thought seriously about switching to
a crystals brand; Charlie's been remarkably adaptive in adjusting to
things (especially since he is a young 'un -- about four months now),
but I note that you're not supposed to flush the solid waste from
crystals down the toilet. (See http://www.freshstep.com/crystals/faq.html#14.) How do people handle that, then? I'm in an apartment building --
would this mean putting poop into a plastic bag and tossing it each
time? [Wouldn't you eventually run out of plastic bags? ;-)]

I've found the crystals very easy on my allergies (the grain based
ones caused me major respiratory problems!). As to flushing, I just
shake off most of the crystals and flush the poop - I've been doing
that for several years now without any trouble.

I save the plastic bags that are used for vegetables and use them for
scooped litter. I scoop several times a day and keep the bag with the
scooped litter in a plastic wastebasket. our garbage is picked up 3
times a week and I place the scooped litter in another bag, I used to
flush the solids, but it caused plumbing problems, so discontinued
that. It's probably the deodorants that you are allergic to.

Old January 2nd 04, 09:54 PM
MGW

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 11:13:39 -0700, m. L. Briggs
wrote:

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 12:27:37 -0500, MGW wrote:
I've found the crystals very easy on my allergies (the grain based
ones caused me major respiratory problems!).

It's probably the deodorants that you are allergic to.

Nope, it's the grains in litters such as WBCL. I get problems on
farms, too.

Old January 3rd 04, 01:30 AM
.oO rach Oo.

My Stella and Delilah are both apartment cats. The clay litter did the same
to me when I first used it when they were first adopted plus it made the
apartment smell like litter (not the waste, just litter) I went out and got
a store brand clumping litter and a box of Arm and Hammer cat box freshener.
It's basically baking soda with a liquid activated scent which is quite mild
and pleasant. The girls didn't mind a bit, in fact I think they liked it
better because it was a finer grade of stone. Now I just scoop every day as
a ritual or once every other day and toss the plastic bag in the trash
(grocery bags). It hasn't smelled since.

Good luck!