Health Insurance For Cats

Old December 4th 04, 03:44 AM
Cat Protector

Default Health Insurance For Cats

I was thinking of getting health insurance for all of my cats. Does anyone
know a good and reliable insurance company that has policies for cats
without charging through the nose?

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

Old December 4th 04, 04:00 AM
Mary

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
I was thinking of getting health insurance for all of my cats. Does anyone
know a good and reliable insurance company that has policies for cats
without charging through the nose?

I think I would invest in a better quality food than you feed them before I
would
shell out for health insurance.

Old December 4th 04, 04:38 AM
Cat Protector

Thanks for sharing. At least I know who to avoid. I thought of putting away
a certain amount each month for vet bills and such but read some more about
the insurance for the cats so I didn't have to pay a whole lot up front
should an emergency happen. It's a shame that VPI had such a lack of
security that a former employee could steal people's identities. If that
employee was in a position to have access to people's accounts then the
security should have been strengthened to protect the customers. Hopefully
the former employee will be prosecuted. I am no lawyer but you might have a
case against the company here. You probably weren't the only one who was put
at risk.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com

"Cheryl" wrote in message
I have VPI for Shamrock, but I'm beginning to see that it isn't
worth the money. His only problem (young cat) is allergies, and
since it was pre-existing when I took out the policy, they won't
cover any of the bills. The policy had to be renewed last month and
I planned to cancel it and just put the monthly premiums into a
separate bank account just for vet bills, but I haven't cancelled
it yet. I even got the cancer coverage, but then again, I've had
two cats in a row who had problems that most cats don't seem to
have so I was sort of pressured by large vet bills in the past that
I hoped I wouldn't see again.

I don't think it's worth it. Insurance is just that: great if you
need it, a waste of money if you don't. Just put a few dollars each
payday into a separate account earmarked just for vet bills. With
4 cats now, this is going to be my plan. Shamrock's premiums are
over $200 per year paid monthly. Oh, and VPI informed me that my
personal info was stolen by a former employee and that I need to
keep an eye on my credit history in case it is used. I've had to
make a lot of adjustments to my accounts just because they didn't
have proper security set up with their databases.

--
Cheryl

Old December 4th 04, 01:54 PM
---MIKE---

I had pet insurance for a year (I don't remember which company) but I
cancelled when they raised their rates. I had been paying about $300 a
year (for two cats) so I opened a savings account and put in $300 every
year. Any normal vet bills, I pay without robbing the account. There
is now over $1200 in the account. It is there in case of any major
expenses.

---MIKE---

Old December 4th 04, 05:54 PM
Mary

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I had pet insurance for a year (I don't remember which company) but I
cancelled when they raised their rates. I had been paying about $300 a
year (for two cats) so I opened a savings account and put in $300 every
year. Any normal vet bills, I pay without robbing the account. There
is now over $1200 in the account. It is there in case of any major
expenses.

This sounds like a reasonable way to ensure you have money
for the vet!

Old December 4th 04, 08:10 PM
sarah

My cat is a rescue cat so her history was not known. However, I bought
insurance for her and am so glad I did. One month after owning her she was
diagnosed with CRF and her ongoing bills are currently being met by the
insurance company (until next May).

The only thing I would advise is if you are looking for insurance - get the
type that covers them for life with a condition - not just for one year (as
I made the mustake of doing).

I'm putting aside money each month for her now for when the insurance no
longer covers her.

sarah

Old December 4th 04, 09:29 PM
~*Connie*~

like insurance for humans, it is of great benefit if you need it, and a
great waste if you don't. I know someone who bought it for their puppy, and
used it then some when problems arise.

Old December 6th 04, 01:27 AM
Masha

If you're in the UK don't use Tesco, I didn't read the small print and they
only insure each illness for a year, my cat's got diabetis and it's now
costing me a fortune since his insurance ran out, ALWAYS check the small
print first!

Old December 6th 04, 04:35 PM
Mary

"Yngver" wrote
This sounds like a reasonable way to ensure you have money
for the vet!

I agree. A couple years ago one of our cats had a bacterial infection and

spent
a few days in the veterinary hospital. The total came to $1100. After

that, we
started checking out pet insurance. However, when we priced it out with

the
best coverage we could find (VPI), we calculated that after deductibles,
premiums and other exclusions, VPI would only have reimbursed us about

$200 for
that incident.

This is how these insurance companies make money--they know most folks will
not read the fine print. It was smart of you to look at an example case that
way,
to see how the insurance really works.

And if she ever had another liver infection, it would not be
covered.

What kind of crock is this "cat only covered for one type of
illness once" stuff?? What good is the insurance then? We all
know that chronic illnesses are terribly common--in cats and
people What a rip. I am glad this topic came up because I am
just the type to get suckered into pet health insurance.

Since we don't expect to have $1100 a year illnesses with our cats, it
seemed that in the long run it did make more sense for us to just put the
premiums (at the time, about $250 per cat) in a savings account.

In addition, keep in mind that pet insurance is not comparable to health
insurance for human beings--since in most states pets are considered

property,
pet health insurance operates under rules for property insurance. In

general,
you can be dropped or refused renewal at any time, and when the cat gets

old
(when most health problems will occur) many policies refuse to cover the

cat
anymore.

Well, that's terrible--and how terrible that must be for the ones who love
the
cat. I'm learning more than I ever expected to about insurance these days--I
just paid off my own deductible (first time in my life I have been at the
doctor's
enough to do so) and am finding out what insurance will and will not pay. I
have
nothing serious, just niggly things like asthma and allergies, but keep
receiving
bills for various items not covered by the company now that I have paid off
the deductible. What a racket.

Old December 6th 04, 11:23 PM
Yngver

"Mary" wrote:

"Yngver" wrote
This sounds like a reasonable way to ensure you have money
for the vet!

I agree. A couple years ago one of our cats had a bacterial infection and

spent
a few days in the veterinary hospital. The total came to $1100. After

that, we
started checking out pet insurance. However, when we priced it out with

the
best coverage we could find (VPI), we calculated that after deductibles,
premiums and other exclusions, VPI would only have reimbursed us about

$200 for
that incident.

This is how these insurance companies make money--they know most folks will
not read the fine print. It was smart of you to look at an example case that
way,
to see how the insurance really works.

Unfortunately too many people assume that pet insurance works just the way
health insurance for people works. In our case, the first thing we did is ask
our vet if he recommended any pet insurance companies, and he said no, most of
his clients that got pet insurance did not seem to get as much covered as they
thought they would.

And if she ever had another liver infection, it would not be
covered.

What kind of crock is this "cat only covered for one type of
illness once" stuff??

That is VPI--the main one I looked into. Once they cover your pet for a
particular illness or condition, they won't cover it again. As someone else
mentioned, it's the "once per lifetime" type clause. I think some of the other
companies do that too.

What good is the insurance then? We all
know that chronic illnesses are terribly common--in cats and
people What a rip. I am glad this topic came up because I am
just the type to get suckered into pet health insurance.

Yes, again, I can't emphasize that enough--I've known people who took out pet
insurance, then their pet developed cancer, and the company dropped them. I'm
not sure all of the pet insurance polices have as many "out" clauses, but you
really have to read them closely to make sure.

[...]

Well, in some cases however, it does work out. If you have a young cat that
develops a catastrophic illness, or is in an accident, it may save money. I've
known some cases in which a pet owner was able to afford a lot more treatment
or tests because of having insurance. It's just that you don't know ahead of
time if that will be the case with your own cat--as someone else said, if that
happens you'll be glad you had the insurance, but otherwise you'll find you
spent more on premiums than you got out of it.

I'm learning more than I ever expected to about insurance these days--I
just paid off my own deductible (first time in my life I have been at the
doctor's
enough to do so) and am finding out what insurance will and will not pay. I
have
nothing serious, just niggly things like asthma and allergies, but keep
receiving
bills for various items not covered by the company now that I have paid off
the deductible. What a racket.

Well, in the U.S., anyway, health care insurance is a for-profit business--both
for people and for pets--and that is a big part of the problem, IMO.