Jaywalking in Boston - OT (was Musings on LA)

Old April 3rd 04, 01:20 AM
SUQKRT

Default Jaywalking in Boston - OT (was Musings on LA)

In article , Kreisleriana
wrote:

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 12:36:41 -0500, "Suzanne Thompson"
yodeled:

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 04:00:06 GMT, yodeled:

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote:

There was a cross walk there (I might add that this was at the
bottom of a huge hill), so I decided to wait for a break in traffic

cross. A gentleman joined me in the wait (though we didn't speak),

and
after a couple of minutes, ALL FOUR LANES (2 lanes in either

direction) OF
TRAFFIC ****STOPPED**** to let ****2**** people cross the street!!!!!

I was
flabbergasted/stunned/shocked!!!! Here in Bloomington (with the

Indiana
University campus nearby) even if you cross at a cross-walk, stop

light or
stop sign or not, you're risking it!!!!

I think people on the west coast obey traffic laws a little better,

and
I have no idea why. This includes pedestrians. I'm from Boston, where
nobody ever obeys a traffic law. The first time I went to Seattle,

I too
was flabbergasted, at the way people *actually waited* for the walk

light
before crossing, even when there was no traffic on the road. The way

that
San Francisco drivers behave at 4-way stop signs amazed me at first

-
each person taking their turn, around the interesection, like a little
dance. In Massachusetts, a 4-way stop is often the hub of a 4-way
DEADLOCK, because everyone tries to get into the intersection at the

same
time. I'm not sure I could successfully drive in Boston anymore, I've
gone soft from local drivers who actually obey the rules.

Joyce (OK, I admit it, I've broken a traffic law or two in my life.

)

I think it's because traffic laws-- INCLUDING jaywalking laws-- are
actually enforced out there. In NYC, crossing the street is a
competitive sport. The last person got a summons for jaywalking in
1642. Of course, we also have people regularly getting mowed down
at intersections.

Theresa
alt.tv.frasier FAQ:
http://www.im-listening.net/FAQ/

Delurking to add that I'm a Bostonian who once got a jaywalking ticket

at
the corner of Boylston and Tremont Streets. I was going to keep the ticket,
but they kept hounding me for the $1 fine so I finally paid up and had

surrender it. I was in high school at the time, so I didn't want any
trouble.

Wow.

On the rare occasion that a driver stops for a pedestrian here it's usually
someone in one lane of a two-lane road and the driver in the second lane

has
no intention of stopping.

Warning for tourists heading to Boston: I took driving lessons from a
reputable company and when people started crossing the street against

the
light the instructor said to me, "Step on the gas, they'll jump out of

the
way." Really.

Has anybody out there seen "Wild in the Streets: The Boston Driver's
Handbook"? It's very funny (and mostly true).

How's the Big Dig coming? Almost done?

Yes for the most part, but in July we have the Democratic Party Convention.
Major rd shutdowns plus the North Station which transports 40,000 daily.
Suz
Macmoosette
Thank Heavens There's Only One

Waiting for inspiration. Please hold while I contemplate my navel.

|\__/|
(=':'=)
(")_(")

Old April 3rd 04, 06:31 PM
Kreisleriana

On 03 Apr 2004 00:20:52 GMT, eener (SUQKRT) yodeled:

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote:

[...]

We have the Republicans. They are talking about closing down
virtually every way of getting anywhere while the President is in
town.

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)
Old April 6th 04, 12:06 AM
SUQKRT

In article , Kreisleriana
wrote:

Yes for the most part, but in July we have the Democratic Party Convention.
Major rd shutdowns plus the North Station which transports 40,000 daily.
Suz

We have the Republicans. They are talking about closing down
virtually every way of getting anywhere while the President is in
town.

Luckily its after the 4th (of july) can you imagine the outcry it would cause
if traffic & transport was stopped/slowed then.

Musings on LA - OT Bev Cat anecdotes 63 April 4th 04 07:37 AM
Extra! Man bites dog! Cat saved! Pants ruined! Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 8 February 25th 04 02:37 AM