Fix Matted Fur?

Old November 5th 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Buddy's Mom

Default Fix Matted Fur?

I am so sorry to hear about Bubba!!! I, too, have a Maine Coon and
they are really something else. So intelligent!! The best kitty I've
ever had. I wasn't aware of cardiomyopathy in them. Any other
symptoms that I should watch for??

Mine is 6.5 years and weighs only 10.5-11 pounds. I do not free feed
him! I learned fast that he puts on weight in a hurry and my vet
wasn't happy with him weighing much over 11 pounds.

I am glad to hear that you are rescuing another!!! RIP Bubba.
Sharon
Old November 5th 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Stampir" wrote in message

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_mats.jpg
http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_B4+After-3s.jpg

Sly doesn't look very happy in the last photograph on the right --
he looks kinda mean!

He was starving! He polished off about 5 or 6 cans of FF right after the
pictures.

He's a sweetheart. It just took awhile for him to trust me.

Phil

Old November 5th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
Buddy's Mom wrote:
I am so sorry to hear about Bubba!!! I, too, have a Maine Coon and
they are really something else. So intelligent!! The best kitty I've
ever had. I wasn't aware of cardiomyopathy in them. Any other
symptoms that I should watch for??

By the time there are symptoms, it's evidently too late.

Phil kindly posted a reference to the Washington State University
Veterinary Cardiac Genetics Laboratory where they can do a test
that will tell you whether or not your cat is genetically
predisposed to the condition. The test won't tell if it is
present or not. For that, the only thing I can recommend is
to find a local feline veterinary cardiologist who is familiar
with the condition and with the breed.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/deptsvcgl/

According to the vet that I took Bubba to when I realized he
was sick the treatment options are quite limited and not
particularly effective in advanced cases...

Mine is 6.5 years and weighs only 10.5-11 pounds. I do not free feed
him! I learned fast that he puts on weight in a hurry and my vet
wasn't happy with him weighing much over 11 pounds.

Rascal is a little butterball too. I'm going to try and trim her up
a bit, but I'm not sure how much luck I'll have. I haven't weighed
her yet but she's pretty good sized for a girly cat.

I am glad to hear that you are rescuing another!!! RIP Bubba.

Thanks

Claude

Old November 5th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Buddy's Mom" wrote in message
I am so sorry to hear about Bubba!!! I, too, have a Maine Coon and
they are really something else. So intelligent!! The best kitty I've
ever had. I wasn't aware of cardiomyopathy in them. Any other
symptoms that I should watch for??

Hip dysplasia, and spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) are also inherited genetic
diseases in Maine Coons. I think there's a DNA test for those, too.

Phil

Old November 5th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
CatNipped wrote:
"Claude V. Lucas" wrote in message
.. .
CatNipped wrote:
"Claude V. Lucas" wrote in message
Well, I haven't posted in here for awhile.

Those who might remember my infrequent postings might also
remember Bubba the Maine Coon.

Unfortunately, Bubba has crossed the bridge due to complications
from advanced cardiomyopathy. It's strange to admit, but losing
him hit me harder than the past loss of family members and extremely
close friends.

Fortunately, I am lucky enough to be able to home another Maine Coon
from the local shelter. Rascal is a ~5 year old female who could
easily
be Bubba's sister in the way of looks, although she is of course much
smaller. She's a real sweetheart.

When I first got Bubba, the fur on his belly was extremely matted to
the
point where I had to have his belly shaved. Rascal is also extremely
matted, but more on her back than anywhere else. I'm hoping that there
is a way to deal with the mats short of giving her the Lion cut at the
start of cold weather season. Some of the mats are huge. She was at
the shelter for a month or so before I adopted her, but I'm guessing
that it took much longer than that for her to get in such poor
condition.

Why have a longhaired cat and not keep it combed?

Ideas?

Oh, Claude, I am *SO* sorry to hear that about Bubba! I know your heart
is
broken, and I know exactly what you mean about how hard it is to lose a
furry baby. He'll be missed by us here also.

Thanks for the good thoughts.

Have you tried your Furminator on Rascal?

I'm considering it, but she's *really* matted in places and I
don't know if it will do it. I don't want to hurt her skin.

I was thinking that in this case it might be a *good* thing that the
Furminator razors off the hair - that's might take it off in increments
until the mat is gone, rather than just shaving it all off.

I made a half-hearted attempt at one mat with the Furminator
and it seemed as if it was pulling rather than cutting.

I'm gonna try again in a bit before I give up on it, but
Rascal is still a bit skittish and she definitely doesn't
seem to like it...

Yeah, then I wouldn't keep trying if I were you - a professional groomer
will do it quicker and will take the blame, not you! ;

Also, I need to do her claws before I try any serious fur work
for the sake of *my* skin. :^)

She isn't really thrilled about me handling her paws yet, it's
only been a day since she came home and I should be patient.

Like I said in another post, I'm strongly leaning at this point
towards having her professionally groomed so she doesn't associate
*me* with the ordeal...

That might be a good idea! BTW, I just got one of those Peticures
(actually
I got a knock-off brand at Wal-Mart that works the same but was $10 less).
My clowder is used to having their claws clipped every two weeks (in fact
they look forward to it because they get treats afterwards), and none of
them were the least bothered by the buzzing sound or filing sensation -
and
Sammy actually tolerated it better than the nail clippers! It works
really
well - it only takes a few seconds for each claw, and I like how it leaves
the claws smooth rather than splintered (this was more a problem with
Sammy
than with the others because her claws are so much bigger that the
standard
sized clippers crushed the claw rather than snipping it off cleanly -
which
may be why she objected so strongly to having her claws clipped). Anyway,
for $20 it was well worth the price!

I'll have a look at that.

I used to trim Bubba's with the same toenail clipper I use on my feet,
but Rascal doesn't seem as if she will be as accepting of the process.

:^)

Thanks

If she's skittish of the clipper you might want to take it really slow with
the Peticure. They tell you to show it to them while praising and giving a
treat, then move on to turning it on and putting it next to them while
praising and giving a treat, then doing one claw, praise and treat, etc. My
cats have been handled by me since they were kittens, so they have total
faith in whatever I want to do to them. Starting with an adult cat is an
entirely different matter.

It seems that Rascal is a bit of a kneader.

I couldn't handle being pierced any longer so I broke down and
used the toenail clippers on her. She sulked for a bit but she
seems to have gotten over it. Treats always smooth the roiled
waters.

It's easier to wrestle her than it was to wrestle Bubba at 25 lbs...

:^)
Old November 6th 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh>\o\

On Nov 5, 12:59*am, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
[...]

I just wanted to say that we are all so sorry to hear that Bubba has
passed the golden gate.
We knew how much you loved him, & I have to agree, he was a stunning
chap to look at, wasn't he!
I can only hope that your new little one can help hold the space where
all that pain that still resides. You have our utter sympathies, &
purrs of peace en route.

I have similar problems with some of our cats too. They are Birman &
Ragdolls amongst our feline family, so I do understand the furr
matting you describe.

I'm inclined to tell you to splash out on the groomers to start with,
then from then on, use the method that she prefers best, to carry on
that good work, & to make your bond stronger. I also agree about the
trauma association problem, so I did exactly the same thing, & since
having Biffy done, I never regretted it for a moment. Good Luck
Claude,

Purrs, of peace,
Sheelagh"o"
Old November 6th 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
Sheelagh\"o\ " wrote:
[...]

Thanks much.

The more that Rascal's around the more it seems as if she
could be Bubba' sister. She even hisses at the outdoor cats
the same way he did.

Pix to come..
Old November 6th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stampir

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Stampir" wrote in message

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_mats.jpg
http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_B4+After-3s.jpg

Sly doesn't look very happy in the last photograph on the right --
he looks kinda mean!

He was starving! He polished off about 5 or 6 cans of FF right after the
pictures.

He's a sweetheart. It just took awhile for him to trust me.

Phil

Poor guy, he's had a rough life, he's lucky he found you (or maybe
vice-versa).

Old November 7th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
cybercat wrote:

"Claude V. Lucas" wrote :
The more that Rascal's around the more it seems as if she
could be Bubba' sister. She even hisses at the outdoor cats
the same way he did.

Pix to come..

YAY!

Well, here she is....

http://www.sonic.net/~claudel/Rascal01.jpg

Back from the vet with a clean bill of health and
a few bald spots. LOL...

Finally removed Tiger's matted fur ---MIKE--- Cat anecdotes 1 January 9th 08 05:20 AM
Kitty's Fur Is Seriously Matted Gary Brown Cat health & behaviour 3 May 23rd 07 02:43 PM
matted fur Pat Cat anecdotes 11 January 7th 05 07:37 AM
Matted cat hair! mark Cat health & behaviour 12 July 9th 03 11:31 PM