Negative reinforcement for bullying??

Old September 7th 04, 06:13 PM
miss mandy

Default Negative reinforcement for bullying??

Has anyone had luck using negative reinforcement for bullying?

I have a 2 year old youngster and a 9 year old senior. The youngster
has too much energy for his own good. I try to help him burn it off
constructively but sometimes I don't do a good enough job. He stalks
and attacks the senior. My poor senior is becoming a bundle of
nerves. The youngster is a friendly good natured cat and I'm
convinced that the attacks are playful. The senior doesn't agree.

I'm looking for ways to curb the young guys bullying behaviour. I
started trying a 2 minute timeout in the bathroom everytime he
attacks. I usually have to chase him around the house to catch him -
which he loves, so it's more positive reinforcement than negative.

I'm hesitant to try the spray bottle approach because he's such a good
natured cat now and I don't want to do anything that could make him
fearful or skittish.

Has anyone successfully dealt with this problem?

Thanks,
Mandy
Old September 7th 04, 06:29 PM
Sherry

[...]

I think you're using a very good approach. It's going to take a lot of time,
repitition, and patience on your part, plus maturity on the kitten's part.
Might be a good idea to lock the kitten in his own room for a few hours a day
to give the senior cat a break; or if the senior cat doesn't mind, shut the
door to the room he's sleeping in for a while to protect him from Junior.

Sherry

Old September 7th 04, 07:05 PM
Alison

Hi Mandy ,
I second what Sherry's says.
Have you tried to make your games with him more interesting than
chasing senior?
I understand laser pointers are popular with cats. Someone on another
forum stuffed a sock and dragged it around on string and their young
cat used to chase and attack that.
You need to change toys often as cats get bored quickly.
I use a clicker with my cat and dog for introducing new pets, I
click and treat and praise when they look away from the new pets and
they soon learn they get a reward if they leave the pet alone.
Alison

om...

Old September 7th 04, 07:46 PM
kaeli

In article , mandymoon5000
@hotmail.com enlightened us with...
Has anyone had luck using negative reinforcement for bullying?

Yup.
I use time-outs on my brat. It works well and gives the others a break.
I also reward her if she stops when I ask, before it gets out of hand.

I'm looking for ways to curb the young guys bullying behaviour. I
started trying a 2 minute timeout in the bathroom everytime he
attacks. I usually have to chase him around the house to catch him -
which he loves, so it's more positive reinforcement than negative.

Why do you have to chase him?
As long as he's in a room you and your other cat aren't, close the door.
You're breaking a habit, not punishing, and teaching your older cat that he
doesn't have to put up with that s***. This alone has made my other cats feel
that they are allowed to stand up to the brat, so she actually gets almost as
much as she gives these days, which cuts down on her being bratty at all.

If chasing him rewards him, why not call him to you as he stalks (to stop /
redirect him) then give him a good game of chase as a reward for coming to
you instead of being a brat?

I'm hesitant to try the spray bottle approach because he's such a good
natured cat now and I don't want to do anything that could make him
fearful or skittish.

That only works when you're home, anyway, and they know you're doing the
squirting, so it's not really a huge deterrent for a cat that gets good
rewards from a behavior. Not enough of a bad side to make up for the good
side, you know?

~kaeli~
Dancing cheek-to-cheek is really a form of floor play.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace