Are there any proven health risks associated with NOT neutering?

Old November 18th 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default Are there any proven health risks associated with NOT neutering?

Suddenly, without warning, -Lost exclaimed (11/17/2007 7:53 AM):
Response to jmc :

Am I not reading the right stuff or is there no REAL danger in
not neutering?

Ah, NOW you've done it. Long thread, coming up!

Hehehe. Well, I DO try and think of good ones. Sometimes I forget
to do my homework and sometimes I just don't understand -- so I
definitely build up the good ones for you lads/lasses.

I think you're looking at it backwards though. What risk is there
in getting them neutered, aside from the slight danger inherent in
any operation?

More than fair point. My only reasoning behind not doing it is I
hate to cut things off of animals. I just don't believe anything
that cannot communicate their desires should have their freedom
manhandled in such a fashion as to lead to their ultimate appendage
removal.

Declawing is very different than neutering.

That is why even after HORRIBLE attacks that Gabby still has his
claws. The group let me in on what really happens in a declaw and
when I was done crying I explained to the family it simply wasn't an
option.

Not much, I think, though I've never had a male. But it sounds
like an intact male makes a very poor housecat!

Right. But it does look like I am going to have to make a choice in
this direction. I figured I could handle the spraying and was
basically using no health risks as a crutch to not do it.

The danger for males seems to be more in how testosterone changes
their behavior, than in the health risks (like higher risk of
certain cancers, I think). I bet if a survey was done, intact
males don't live nearly as long as neutered ones.

It seems though that aggression really is a number one reason to
neuter... so I don't know...

Not really. Health, longevity, how your house smells... and I forgot to
mention, but another poster has, that your intact male WILL create more
kittens; more homeless cats; more pressure on shelters, and essentially
more cats euthanized only because there's too many to find homes for.

If you are not breeding him, there is absolutely NO reason for him to
keep his jewels. He won't miss 'em and you'll be glad you did!

Thanks for the tips, jmc.

You are welcome.

jmc
Old November 18th 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to "Phil P." :

"-Lost" wrote in message
Response to "Phil P." :

Am I not reading the right stuff or is there no REAL danger in
not neutering?

cancers Preventable by Spaying/Neutering

snip information on spaying

Male

SERTOLI CELL TUMOR: usually small and benign but can grow very
large as part of a retained testicle. Can produce estrogen,
which is the most severe effect of the tumor, causing liver and
bone marrow damage. Often curable if caught early or
chemotherapy may be needed. In cats with high estrogen levels
surgery can be risky. Neutering is preventative.

PROSTATIC ADENOCARCINOMA: malignant tumor, seen more often in
cats that have not been neutered. This tumor causes enlargement
of the prostate gland; prostate gland enlargement will often be
quite irregular. Also, this tumor can cause urinary tract
blockage, weakness, pain, bleeding from the penis, and weight
loss. Spreads to areas inside the pelvis and sometimes other
organs. There is no treatment effective towards a cure but
neutering may slow growth of the mass. This tumor is rarely
seen in castrated males, neutering considered preventative.

Hi, Phil! I was hoping that you might drop by for this one. Are
either of these 2 male afflictions a common occurrence?

Common enough if your cat devcelops either. It really doesn't
matter because they're both unnecessary risks- and any unnecessary
risk is exesessive and unaceptable.

snip more good advice

All right then that settles it. I'll schedule the appointment
Tuesday (when they're open next).

Thanks again, Phil. You've been most helpful (as usual).

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old November 18th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to "Sheelagh\"o\"" :

If this story helps stop one single person or cat going through
what we did, then it was worth telling! It was a while back now,
but I have never learned a harder lesson.

I've definitely got the hint. Preventative is all that matters.

Thanks, Sheelagh. And sorry you had to go through that to understand
it yourself.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old November 18th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to "CatNipped" :

I guess when it comes down to it I have my answer, huh?

Yeah, it doesn't sound good. Neutering *might* help, but I
wouldn't count on it. If you had not tried everything suggested
(and then some) I'd probably advise you to just keep trying and
wait till he grows up some. I might even suggest that if you
didn't have children who are in danger. But you *have* tried your
hardest, and your children *are* in danger, and he *does* sounds
like he's a serious biter, not just a kitten getting carried away
in play. I'll probably be flamed to hell and gone for writing
this, but it might be time for you to find a new home for Gabby,
if at all possible. Do you have any no-kill shelters or rescues
where you live? Every PetsMart I've ever been in has one.

Quick question... should I at least try first? That is, get him
neutered and give it a little more time?

I know it's hard to gauge but I really don't think he is a mean cat,
it's just when he gets all crazy he gets ALL CRAZY. I do agree
though that he is a serious biter.

Also, if there is someone in the group who is willing to take him
on, I'll pitch in for transport (this group has found ways to help
cats long distance in the past). If you do find someone who'll
take him, please be sure to let them know he has a biting problem
- it wouldn't be fair to the new owner if you didn't.

I will too, depending on how much we're talking. (I have no clue
what it costs to transport an animal.)

But again, is it something that should wait until after a neuter to
see if it helps?

I can get it done in the next couple of weeks as there is never a
long wait at the local vet.

And if it is a major contributor to aggression I'd be really
interested in trying it first.

Why do you think it wouldn't have any real effect?

snip

Thanks again, CatNipped.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old November 18th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to "CatNipped" :

Do you have any no-kill shelters or rescues where you live?
Every PetsMart I've ever been in has one.

Sorry I forgot to address this.

Yes, we have ONE no-kill shelter. It's an animal refuge they say --
problem is there is no room in it whatsoever. They even have it in
their answering machine message, "We have no more room and are not
accepting ANY animals."

Also, when I say I have checked all locations I mean not only have I
checked locally, but also up to 2 hours travel time away. (I think
round trip 4 hours is all I'd be willing to travel by myself.)

I've called PetSmarts, animal hospitals, clinics, vets, groomers, and
animal adoption agencies.

I have not asked PetSmart in particular if they had a no-kill shelter
but I did ask if they had any ideas of anything to assist me in not
having to put him in the pound or whatnot and most acted as if they
had no clue.

I did however through a PetSmart representative finally locate some
other organizations today in fact. (I made another long distance
call.) 9 Lives + 1, Caring Hearts, and Life For Pets.

So there are at least 3 possible choices for me if the situation
arises. I'm hopeful about the neuter idea though and eager to see
why you don't think it would help.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old November 18th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh>\o\

On 18 Nov, 14:33, "-Lost" wrote:
Response to "Sheelagh\"o\"" :

If this story helps stop one single person or cat going through
what we did, then it was worth telling! It was a while back now,
but I have never learned a harder lesson.

I've definitely got the hint. Preventative is all that matters.

Thanks, Sheelagh. And sorry you had to go through that to understand
it yourself.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

It was my fault really. Had I got her spayed when I was advised to, it
would never have come to that. It doesn't excuse the vet not treating
her for 2 whole days whilst she was in thier care, & I didn't mean to
frighten anyone- merely point out that it could have been avoided
altogether. It was a hard lesson- But mostly I felt guilty because I
know that what Lilly went through, was because of my failing, not
her's. Thankfully she is fine, but it could so easily have been a
different story.
No one likes admitting their failings, but in this case it was
avoidable. She was so ill!
I think it would be the best thing for Gabby. I certainly can't think
of any harm coming from neutering him.
Good Luck by the way,
Sheelagh "o"
Old November 18th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"-Lost" wrote in message
[...]

Of course you should try. As I've said, none of us are there to truly gauge
the situation, you are. Have you talked to your vet about this problem?
There are some medical problems that can cause biting (one is a
hypersensitivity to being touched). If you feel he is a calm, loving cat
most of the time, then you would want to invest more time in changing this
behavior. But if he continues to attack with no warning, and with pretty
severe results then, as a mother, you need to take whatever means you need
to in order to protect your children from a dangerous situation.

If it is just over-aggressive play, the high-pitched "MEW" should have
stopped him. However, I didn't mention (and probably should have) that the
high-pitched "MEW" will not work if a cat is *deliberately* trying to harm
his victim. And the bite results you've described seem to be of a more
serious nature than would result from just over-aggressive play.

There are some cats (my RB Bandit was one of them), who are just a bit
psychotic - just like there are some humans who are. In that case, I really
haven't heard of any means of treatment (if I had, I wouldn't have put up
with 17+ years of biting injuries).

Also, if there is someone in the group who is willing to take him
on, I'll pitch in for transport (this group has found ways to help
cats long distance in the past). If you do find someone who'll
take him, please be sure to let them know he has a biting problem
- it wouldn't be fair to the new owner if you didn't.

I will too, depending on how much we're talking. (I have no clue
what it costs to transport an animal.)

In one case (in another, related, group) - people just volunteered to drive
the kitty in a sort of "relay" race across the country. In that instance
the only cost was gas. I wasn't involved in the instance here when people
pitched in to get a cat to a new slave - maybe someone else was, folks?

But again, is it something that should wait until after a neuter to
see if it helps?

That would be my recommendation if you've decided to have him neutered.

I can get it done in the next couple of weeks as there is never a
long wait at the local vet.

And if it is a major contributor to aggression I'd be really
interested in trying it first.

Why do you think it wouldn't have any real effect?

It will have some effect - the level of testosterone will decrease over the
weeks after the neuter and his behavior will turn gentler. The only reason
I don't think it will have a *major* effect is that an aggressive, intact
tom will usually only be aggressive to another cat. The aggression towards
humans is, I think, more a behavoral problem. But I'm not a vet, so I can't
give you a difinitive answer to this question. Again, talk to your vet
about this issue - it's one that they handle all the time.

Hugs,

CatNipped

snip

Thanks again, CatNipped.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Old November 18th 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"-Lost" wrote in message
Response to "CatNipped" :

[...]

I'm hoping you won't have to use any of them. When you do talk to your vet,
ask him about medications that may help calm Gabby down. I think there's
one called Clomicalm that has been used in cats with litter-box issues due
to stress. Your vet will advise you is he thinks medication will help
remove the behavior.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Old November 18th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"CatNipped" wrote
Quick question... should I at least try first? That is, get him
neutered and give it a little more time?

I know it's hard to gauge but I really don't think he is a mean cat,
it's just when he gets all crazy he gets ALL CRAZY. I do agree
though that he is a serious biter.

Of course you should try. As I've said, none of us are there to truly
gauge the situation, you are. Have you talked to your vet about this
problem? There are some medical problems that can cause biting (one is a
hypersensitivity to being touched). If you feel he is a calm, loving cat
most of the time, then you would want to invest more time in changing this
behavior. But if he continues to attack with no warning, and with pretty
severe results then, as a mother, you need to take whatever means you need
to in order to protect your children from a dangerous situation.

All very good advice, CN. You know how I feel about cats being given up, but
I know there are situations, like with aggressive cats and children, where
they
should be "rehomed." But my goodness he has to be neutered anyway, it's
win-win for everyone including him. So why not try it?