Feral kitty sleeps in litterbox

Old January 28th 05, 10:19 PM
Evan

Default Feral kitty sleeps in litterbox

THREE days ago we took a feral female cat (about 1yr old) to be
tested/vaccinated/spayed. We've been working with her outside for about
5 months.

In the beginning we'd only see her once a week or so, and she always
ran away. After she decided to follow us when we walk our dog, come
when called, live on our porch, let us pet her, and meet my wife at her
car in the morning when my wife leaves for work, we decided to adopt
her.

She is doing great, and after being zonked out after surgery for 24hrs
she has started to eat and drink and get back to her purring ways. Her
health checked out A-okay.

We are keeping her in her own room, and in a large wire dog cage with
kitty bed, food/water, and a litter box at the back of the cage.

The only problem is that the first day in a half she slept and stayed
in the litter box. She also has not gone to the bathroom at all.

Starting the 2nd day, she likes the kitty bed now and stays there. But
I noticed when she got scared today (3rd day since surgery) from a
noise outside (garbage truck) she jumped into the litterbox for a
minute.

Considering her body probably shutdown after surgery, is 3 days okay to
let her go without using the bathroom? If she doesn't go by the morning
of the 4th day (tomorrow, Saturday) then I might put her in a bathroom
with a litterbox to get her out of the caged environment. We plan to
let her out of the cage for supervised play once she is using the
litterbox.

Any advice would be great! Other than not using the bathroom, she
seems very content, purring, stretching, napping...

Thanks!

Old January 29th 05, 02:18 PM
Hemmaholic

I rather doubt your kitty was a true feral, she warmed up to you much
to quickly, but obviously she had been socialized with humans and also
abandoned by them. Good on you for for taking her in and doing right
for her.

Sleeping in the litter box is usually a sign of insecurity, hence
jumping into it at the sound of the garbage truck, or any really loud
noise. As she becomes more familiar with recurrent loud noises she'll
calm down.

Getting her out of the cage is what you need to work on., keeping her
in a closed room is a step in the right direct, though she will still,
technically, be caged, it will not feel as confining to her. However,
I would only keep her there when you or your spouse are not home to
supervise her and give her reassurances. If the room is big enough,
set the dog crate in with her, with only bedding, food and water, and
the door left open. Drape an old sheet over the cage to give the
illusion of security and she will probably sleep in it or on top of it.
This will become her "safe haven" and unless she will be left alone
for an extended length of time, there should be no need to lock her
into it.

Since your kitty had to live on her own for several months it will take
her some time to adjust to life as a house cat, be patient and give her
constant reassurance.
You've done a good thing; keep doing it!

Hemmaholic

Old January 29th 05, 02:36 PM
Evan

Please see other thread of same name in group
rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Thanks!

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...11697dd75a941d

Old January 29th 05, 07:09 PM
Ann

I agree with Hemmaholic advice. It sounds like you are doing good. I had my
first experiance with semi feral cats last fall. You can read about it at
http://kittens-3.blogspot.com/
Ann

ups.com...

Old February 18th 05, 05:51 PM
bill zwick via CatKB.com

looking for help, we've had a calico ferrel living on our porch for a year,
we made a bed for her and fed her every night and morning. we started to
leave the kitchen door open as the temperature went down to 10 above. she
would come in, sit for awhile then run out. 3 days ago, she came in and my
wife shut the door. she hid behind the freezer, for a day. this is the 3rd
day, shes not afraid of our 2 shiztsus or our cat. while not afraid of us
she wont come near us, running into a closet or some dark corner if we are
near. the proble...we haven't seen her eat or use the litter box, we had
one "poop" on the floor. can be she be trained? are we better off letting
her outside again?

Old February 20th 05, 02:04 PM
whayface

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:51:47 GMT, "bill zwick via CatKB.com" wrote:

looking for help, we've had a calico ferrel living on our porch for a year,
we made a bed for her and fed her every night and morning. we started to
leave the kitchen door open as the temperature went down to 10 above. she
would come in, sit for awhile then run out. 3 days ago, she came in and my
wife shut the door. she hid behind the freezer, for a day. this is the 3rd
day, shes not afraid of our 2 shiztsus or our cat. while not afraid of us
she wont come near us, running into a closet or some dark corner if we are
near. the proble...we haven't seen her eat or use the litter box, we had
one "poop" on the floor. can be she be trained? are we better off letting
her outside again?

I have one (Kitty is her name) that hid under the sofa for almost two weeks when I first
got her and did not eat or use the litter box for almost a week. I would slide food under
the sofa for her and lay by sofa and look under and talk to het softly. Finally I would
hear her at night exploring and some of her food would be gone in AM but she would still
hide. After a couple weeks she would venture out in the evening when the lights would be
off and I would be laying on sofa watching TV. She slowly would come closer and closer.
She was 4 years at the time and as far as I knew had been a stray all that time.

She is now like 10 and still jumpy and stand offish. The slightist noise and she is gone
into the bedroom which is her safe spot. She now sleeps on my bed at night as long as she
does not get too close but she loves to be petted as long as I do not try to hold or pick
her up. I hold my hand down and wiggle my fingers and she will come running to be petted.
She was my first and in her own way is the most lovable of all 4.

There was an excellent article in the March issue of Cat Fancy called "How to Soothe
Sacredy Cat" that dealt with your problem if you can find a copy. Just do not give up on
your baby. Give her time and work with her.

My babies:
http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

E-mail address altered to foil spam.
Remove spam and junk to reply via e-mail.

Old February 20th 05, 03:47 PM

In article ,
whayface wrote:

My babies:
http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

I tell you, one of the best things about the Internet is seeing stuff
like this. Thanks for sharing them with the rest of us.
Old February 20th 05, 09:28 PM
Rhonda

How is she doing by now?

She can be trained to use the litter box, she just has to feel safe
using it and has to know what it is. If she leave a poo on the floor,
try picking it up with a paper towel and putting it in the box.

Hope you've worked it out by now. Working is a stray, scardy kitty is so
rewarding. They learn to love you and show affection in their own way.

Rhonda

Old February 22nd 05, 08:30 PM
Michael

Bill,

If Minnie (my former feral) is anything like this calico, you have have
some work ahead of you. But the first time that cat comes up to you
and wants your attention is priceless and makes all past aggrivation
worthwhile. Good Luck

Mike

http:\\minnietcat.blogspot.com

A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM
kitty vs puss Brenda Cat anecdotes 30 January 26th 04 04:28 PM
Update on Smudge, the feral kitty Junebug Cat anecdotes 7 January 25th 04 09:36 AM
Please purr for Little Black Kitty RB lewe Cat anecdotes 16 December 8th 03 10:56 PM
The Stray Kitty. (VERY LONG) Flippy Cat anecdotes 24 November 9th 03 09:48 PM