Outdoor cat tunnels - good or not?

Old May 31st 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Outdoor cat tunnels - good or not?

I have two cats. One is older and very well behaved. When the little
one is sleeping, I allow him to putter around outside with me while I
work in the garden. It's our special time, and he's very sweet about
it. He likes to eat some grass and roll in his catnip. (I'm an organic
gardener, so it's safe.)

The other one is three, and she's kind of crazy. Hyperactive even. As
I go outside, she tries her best to make a run for it, and has escaped
a couple of times. Very traumatic for me because she's deaf and has no
natural fear.

So I was wondering about getting her one of those tunnels and allowing
her to go out once in awhile.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...6&pcatid=16126

I'm looking for opinions on whether this would satisfy her need to go
outside, or if it would only make it worse? Because she's deaf, she
SCREAMS when she's needing to go out. If anyone would hear it, I'm
sure they'd think I was beating her. (She has no volume control and
doesn't know she screams. Although, she's learned her screams get a
reaction.)

I would only let her in the tunnel when I'm outside with her. I just
don't want to open a new can of worms, but she just gets so upset
because she sees a bird or a leaf. (This is the cat that watches too
much TV....we still have regular viewings - at least ten shows a day -
but now that the birds are coming to the window feeder, she goes nuts
trying to decide between window and TV.)

My older cat just can't believe she hasn't figured out that the Catnip
Video is a big scam.
Old June 2nd 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Deuteros

On May 30, 7:18*pm, wrote:
I have two cats. One is older and very well behaved. When the little
one is sleeping, I allow him to putter around outside with me while I
work in the garden. It's our special time, and he's very sweet about
it. He likes to eat some grass and roll in his catnip. (I'm an organic
gardener, so it's safe.)

The other one is three, and she's kind of crazy. Hyperactive even. As
I go outside, she tries her best to make a run for it, and has escaped
a couple of times. Very traumatic for me because she's deaf and has no
natural fear.

So I was wondering about getting her one of those tunnels and allowing
her to go out once in awhile.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...c=3261+2053+16...

I have that exact one for my cat. He's always trying to get outside
but he seems happy when we put him in that tunnel. Of course your cat
may be nothing like my cat so who knows.