Name that bobcat: Sanctuary seeks name for blind bobcat

Old March 10th 12, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default Name that bobcat: Sanctuary seeks name for blind bobcat

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news...hat_bobcat_san

Old March 10th 12, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news...hat_bobcat_san

Matthew, is this the full link? It ends with "san." I am asking because I
have not been able to get it to open.

Thanks,
MaryL

Old March 10th 12, 08:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"MaryL" wrote in message
. ..

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news...hat_bobcat_san

Matthew, is this the full link? It ends with "san." I am asking because I
have not been able to get it to open.

Thanks,
MaryL

I did a search and was able to read the article at this location:
http://www.baynews9.com/content/news...at_bobcat_san/

The link looks identical to the one Matthew posted except that it also has a
forward-slash at the end of the link. The article has an additional link
for entering names (and for donations).

MaryL

Old March 10th 12, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message
. ..

"MaryL" wrote in message
. ..

http://www.cfnews13.com/content/news...hat_bobcat_san

Matthew, is this the full link? It ends with "san." I am asking because
have not been able to get it to open.

Thanks,
MaryL

I did a search and was able to read the article at this location:
http://www.baynews9.com/content/news...at_bobcat_san/

The link looks identical to the one Matthew posted except that it also has
a forward-slash at the end of the link. The article has an additional
link for entering names (and for donations).

I wasn't able to open Matt's link either but saw yours.
We don't have bobcats here, of course, but they are wild animals, aren't
they? and I am not sure about keeping a blind wild animal in captivity just
because we *can*.
I'm not sure about the quality of life it could have and saving a wild
animal is about that. Your views may differ.
Tweed

Old March 10th 12, 10:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"MaryL" wrote in message
. ..

"MaryL" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Yes, bobcats are wild cats. I saw one once when we were driving through the
Blue Ridge Parkway, and it trotted (safely) across the road in front of us.
I don't like seeing wild animals caged in small enclosures. However, some
sanctuaries have very large spaces available--sometimes several acres. I
did not read closely enough to see if that is the type of sanctuary involved
in this case. Certainly, the cat would not have any chance of survival in
the wild since it is blind. I do understand what you are saying about
quality of life.

MaryL

Old March 11th 12, 03:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message
. ..

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"MaryL" wrote in message
. ..

"MaryL" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I would almost never say RB but its a wild animal that is blind and it's
future is what?
Yes we can save it. But.

Old March 11th 12, 04:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"MaryL" wrote in message
. ..

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"MaryL" wrote in message
. ..

"MaryL" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

absolutely it is called compassion

Old March 11th 12, 05:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"MaryL" wrote in message
. ..

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"MaryL" wrote in message
. ..

"MaryL" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I have often written about Duffy on this newsgroup. He is not wild, but he
is blind. There are many people who instantly think his life must be
intolerable because he is blind, but the fact is that he is a wonderful,
loving and *happy* cat. I am not trying to equate his life with that of
this bobcat, but he certainly does show that merely being blind does not
need to be the end of a good life. Granted, the bobcat could not survive in
the wild, but the alternative does not need to be a small cage. He *does*
need intervention if he is to live, but I would support that intervention if
he is given an opportunity to have space and as normal a life/environment as
possible.

MaryL

Old March 11th 12, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:

I wasn't able to open Matt's link either but saw yours.
We don't have bobcats here, of course, but they are wild animals, aren't
they? and I am not sure about keeping a blind wild animal in captivity just
because we *can*.
I'm not sure about the quality of life it could have and saving a wild
animal is about that. Your views may differ.
Tweed

I suspect you don't have so many wild predators in the UK - here there
are quite a few sanctuaries for them. A sanctuary is not exactly
"captivity", and blind, deaf, and handicapped animals often do quite
well in them, where they are protected but allowed to roam free over a
fairly large area. (Of course, some end up there because people WILL
"adopt" them in states where it is not yet illegal, then discover that
cute, cuddly little critter grows into a not so cuddly and possibly
dangerous adult, but others have no place to go when human civilization
invades and destroys their habitat.) At the rate we're going, someday
the only place we may ever encounter them may be in the various wild
animal "parks".
Old March 11th 12, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Here's an example: We have a wild life sanctuary a few miles from my home.
The sanctuary has approximately 600 acres, and all animals are free to roam
within that area. In this case, they are all hooved animals--no predators
because predators like big cats cannot safely be left with the types of
animals in this sanctuary. In addition to the "expected" rescue animals
from the U.S., it is home to large numbers of endangered animals from around
the world. I have been to some big cat sanctuaries. For obvious reasons,
many species are separated (unlike my first example), but they still have
large amounts of space in which to roam.

MaryL