I went onto Facebook and found

Old September 7th 14, 06:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default I went onto Facebook and found

Once again when a cat was found dead here from a heart attack someone came
on from the USA and brought up the inside/outside debate again.
It wouldn't have made any difference, FGS.

I rarely enter into the inside/outside debate. It's safe here in the Uk and
not in America and we must agree to disagree. I don't know of any cat
shelter here who would agree to home a cat into a indoor home.
so that's the difference between our countries and I suggest we leave it at
that.
Please.

Old September 7th 14, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Christina Websell wrote:
Once again when a cat was found dead here from a heart attack someone came
on from the USA and brought up the inside/outside debate again.
It wouldn't have made any difference, FGS.

I rarely enter into the inside/outside debate. It's safe here in the Uk and
not in America and we must agree to disagree.

I don't know of any cat
shelter here who would agree to home a cat into a indoor home.
so that's the difference between our countries and I suggest we leave it at
that.
Please.

Depends upon WHERE in the USA! (In the American Southwest, they are
likely to fall prey to coyotes or other predators.) Also, the barbaric
practice of declawing is legal here, which it is not in the UK - another
reason for "indoor" cats, even though some people let THEM out, too.
(Don't suppose anyone asks the cat whether it would prefer to be
"indoor-outdoor" or not.)
Old September 7th 14, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

m...

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

I think my cat prefers to be out/in but I don't want to argue about it. I
can't imagine why a cat would want to be kept inside all the time but that's
your culture. It's not ours.
and I don't like that we are always defending ourselves about letting them
roam. That's what they should do.

Old September 7th 14, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

m...

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

It's up to you all to tell your vets that declawing is not acceptable in any
country in the world except the USA. If my vet did it except for medical
reasons he'd be struck off.
Refuse to go to a vet who does it and tell them why.

Old September 7th 14, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

Once again when a cat was found dead here from a heart attack someone came
on from the USA and brought up the inside/outside debate again.
It wouldn't have made any difference, FGS.

I rarely enter into the inside/outside debate. It's safe here in the Uk and
not in America and we must agree to disagree. I don't know of any cat
shelter here who would agree to home a cat into a indoor home.
so that's the difference between our countries and I suggest we leave it at
that.
Please.

~~~~~~~
I understand (and accept) the point you are making, but I have often
wondered about metropolitan areas such as London. I do know that there are
at least *some* people in UK large cities who keep cats indoors. What is
the general practice in areas like that? I am not asking this to start an
argument. I genuinely wonder about statements that cat shelters would not
agree on an indoor home because the "predators" in that case refers to
traffic. Does your statement apply equally to rural and metropolitan areas
in the UK?

MaryL

Old September 7th 14, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message

[...]

No. but they are likely to refuse a home with a lot of traffic and won't
let you adopt one. Which is sensible. I suppose. Not much traffic here
and huge gardens to lose themselves in.
I'd quite like to be that person who decides if the potential adopter is
good enough.

No-one assessed me for Kitty Farmcat. I wish they had refused.. No-one
assessed me for Boyfie. I think I've done well with both.

Old September 7th 14, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"MaryL" wrote in message

[...]

~~~~~~~~
That's another difference between the US and the UK. If I have understood
some of your messages correctly, you do no have an overabundance of cats as
we do. Many shelters here require their cats to be kept indoor if it is an
area with high traffic but probably not in rural areas or other areas with
low traffic volume. Tragically, a great many healthy cats (and dogs) will
be euthanized, so shelters look for good homes but the requirements vis a
vis indoor/outdoor will not be the same.

MaryL

Old September 7th 14, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Judith Latham" wrote in message

As Christina says, we do let our cats be indoor/outdoor where it's
reasonable to do so. This is the vast majority of place in the UK. No,
it's not totally safe as they could have an accident but the vast majority
of cats don't. (I do hope I'm not tempting fate I'll just touch wood.) We
don't have many predators as many countries do. If someone lives on a busy
road they tend to keep their cats inside, this applies to living in a city
or anywhere else. However most cats here are indoor/outdoor and create
merry hell when they've been in a new home for a few weeks and want to go
outside.

Judith

--
Judith Latham
Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

~~~~~~
Thanks. That's very helpful information.

MaryL

Old September 7th 14, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message

[...]

i do understand that. We have a different culture and almost everycat
expects to be allowed out here.
It does have dangers. Boyfie had a bad accident but even so I would not
keep him in.

Tweed

Old September 7th 14, 10:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message

[...]

maybe it's a good idea to save a cat/dog from a shelter and then keep it
inside for the rest of it's life. I don't think so. At all. and if
everyone examined their cats life when they are kept inside.. should you
have one?
Feel free to scream at me.
I'm offering it for debate. A kindly debate.
Myself, I wouldn't have a cat if it couldn't go outside. Feel free to
differ. I won't mind.

Facebook (Again) jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 12 March 31st 12 12:37 AM
r.p.c.a on Facebook Robert Catt Cat anecdotes 17 November 15th 11 08:31 PM
More about r.p.c.a. and Facebook Robert Catt Cat anecdotes 76 November 15th 11 02:56 PM
Facebook Sherry Cat anecdotes 4 January 26th 11 08:54 PM
[OT] Facebook Yowie Cat anecdotes 9 August 29th 07 09:33 AM