I went onto Facebook and found

Old September 13th 14, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default I went onto Facebook and found

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Furball (soon we hope to be Furballs again)

I don't think you can paint the UK or USA or *any* cat with one brush.
Persia was perfectly content to be an indoor cat. Tweed makes it sound as
if indoor cats lead a horrible life. That was not the case. She's
stomping on a platform that doesn't fit with any beliefs but her own.

I don't think I ever said that at all.

By her own admission KFC was picked up wandering, dropped off and killed.
Boyfie was seriously injuried while wandering, who knows how or where.

How rude & cruel that is. Kitty would not have wandered if I'd not been
taken to hospital as a emergency. Boyfie was injured by a piece of glass
which I found and removed.

I will still let my cat out.

I could be knocked down by a bus if I venture out but still I do it. I
learn the hazards and so do inside/outdoor cats. here. Except for the glass
but that was a million to 1 thing.
The door had be left open for Boyfie to toilet himself when I was taken to
hospital and Kitty had never gone out for 2 years but she missed me and
wandered looking for me so don't make me feel bad again about it.

Old September 13th 14, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
As for the indoor-outdoor debate, according to online sources the US is
9,161,923 sq. km. and the UK is 241,590 sq. km. So hey, the US is a
*huge* country. It's pretty silly to state *no one* in the US should ever
keep a cat indoors. Traffic, predators, freezing cold, excessive heat...
there are plenty of reasons to keep a cat indoors. Persia certainly
wasn't miserable.

Jill

I never said that and never have.to any of your posts. I do object to any
Brit continually having to defend our culture of outdoor cats. And the
person on facebook was sick of it.

I honestly don't care if people in the UK let their cats go outside.

Jill

Old September 13th 14, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I apologize. I was not trying to make you feel bad. But this
discussion is rather senseless since the US and the UK are completely
different. Statistics show cats (in the US) live longer if they are
indoor cats. I do not believe they are any less happy.

Jill
Old September 13th 14, 11:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

have always said the USA & UK are completely different. I'd be reluctant
to let my cats out if they were at risk from alligators and horned owls and
predators like that. But they aren't.
Kitty managed to live to 25 having been outdoor most of her life here
(before I adopted her) it's mainly safe here. But there is always a bit of
risk. There are very few cars that pass by but there is always the chance
that Boyfie will jump into the road under the wheels of one but it's
unlikely. He is very sensible about everything remotely dangerous. Foxes
and traffic, he knows what to do. Up a tree or keep to the sidewalk.
I sometimes worry if he is out for more than a couple of hours but he always
strolls in fine "I was just checking for rats around the chicken huts, and
I saw a mole"
I have a mole in the garden and it's driving me mad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fePU5CIHpas

..

Old September 19th 14, 03:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

Once again when a cat was found dead here from a heart attack someone
came
on from the USA and brought up the inside/outside debate again.
It wouldn't have made any difference, FGS.

I rarely enter into the inside/outside debate. It's safe here in the Uk
and
not in America and we must agree to disagree. I don't know of any cat
shelter here who would agree to home a cat into a indoor home.
so that's the difference between our countries and I suggest we leave it
at
that.
Please.

~~~~~~~
I understand (and accept) the point you are making, but I have often
wondered about metropolitan areas such as London. I do know that there
are at least *some* people in UK large cities who keep cats indoors.
What is the general practice in areas like that? I am not asking this to
start an argument. I genuinely wonder about statements that cat shelters
would not agree on an indoor home because the "predators" in that case
refers to traffic. Does your statement apply equally to rural and
metropolitan areas in the UK?

MaryL

No. but they are likely to refuse a home with a lot of traffic and
won't
let you adopt one. Which is sensible. I suppose. Not much traffic here
and huge gardens to lose themselves in.
I'd quite like to be that person who decides if the potential adopter is
good enough.

No-one assessed me for Kitty Farmcat. I wish they had refused.. No-one
assessed me for Boyfie. I think I've done well with both.

~~~~~~~~
That's another difference between the US and the UK. If I have understood
some of your messages correctly, you do no have an overabundance of cats
as we do. Many shelters here require their cats to be kept indoor if it
is an area with high traffic but probably not in rural areas or other
areas with low traffic volume. Tragically, a great many healthy cats (and
dogs) will be euthanized, so shelters look for good homes but the
requirements vis a vis indoor/outdoor will not be the same.

MaryL

maybe it's a good idea to save a cat/dog from a shelter and then keep it
inside for the rest of it's life. I don't think so. At all. and if
everyone examined their cats life when they are kept inside.. should you
have one?
Feel free to scream at me.
I'm offering it for debate. A kindly debate.
Myself, I wouldn't have a cat if it couldn't go outside. Feel free to
differ. I won't mind.

The two cats I have now live inside. No, I can't read their minds, but I
don't think they're miserable. Maybe their lives would be richer if they
went out, there are a lot of reasons why I choose not to allow that.

Roxy has feline herpes, and I think she could give it to an unvaccinated
cat. Also, the herpes makes her more vulnerable to infections because her
immune system has enough to do keeping the herpes at bay. She also has a
lot of white fur which could make her more prone to skin cancer. Just a few
issues I have to juggle in my mind about this question. It's not a pressing
issue, though, because she seems pretty well adapted to living indoors.

Licky has no interest whatsoever in going out. He'll look out the door if
I have it open (with the screen door closed), but if I open the screen door,
he runs away. He's like Enfilade's Smokey - none of that outdoor stuff
for him, thank you.

But then there was Smudge. She needed to be able to go out, and although I
tried to keep her in at first, it clearly wasn't an option. I got some flak
for allowing her out, but I decided that I would prefer her life to be
shorter if that meant she was happier. Her life did end up being cut short,
but by cancer, which could not have been prevented by being kept indoors.

So I base my decision on a number of factors, the most important one being
the disposition and desires of the cat.

--
Joyce

Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily
go in one ear and out the other. -- Stephen Baker
Old November 10th 14, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Most people think it's just like removing fingernails - painful for
the moment, but recovery shouldn't be a problem. When you tell them
it involves amputating toes, most of them change their minds.

I agree that the reality of the procedure makes it much worse, but even
if it were just like removing fingernails, I wouldn't consider doing it,
for the simple reason that *cats need their claws*. Claws are their
primary defense. Plus, they get a lot of pleasure from them - on trees
if they go out, or on a scratching post indoors. They can get a really
good stretch when they hook their claws into something to hang onto.
Taking that away from a cat for no better reason than convenience is
just as bad to me as the amputation aspect of it. It's like debarking a
dog. I guess it would be like giving a human being a lobotomy.

--
Joyce

What business is it of the state how consenting adults choose to pair
off, share expenses and eventually stop having sex with each other?
-- Bill Maher
Old November 10th 14, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Cheryl wrote:

This group has never had the indoor/outdoor debate that I can remember.
This is enough for me to not bother with this group anymore. I haven't
been very active here lately, but to read the group tonight made me very
angry.

WHY???? We're not allowed to express opinions here? (You can't have
been around for very long - the subject comes up fairly often!)

Cheryl? She's been here only about 15 years!

--
Joyce

What business is it of the state how consenting adults choose to pair
off, share expenses and eventually stop having sex with each other?
-- Bill Maher

Facebook (Again) jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 12 March 31st 12 12:37 AM
r.p.c.a on Facebook Robert Catt Cat anecdotes 17 November 15th 11 09:31 PM
More about r.p.c.a. and Facebook Robert Catt Cat anecdotes 76 November 15th 11 03:56 PM
Facebook Sherry Cat anecdotes 4 January 26th 11 09:54 PM
[OT] Facebook Yowie Cat anecdotes 9 August 29th 07 09:33 AM