Tommy update: some good, some bad

Old May 29th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mac Cool

Default Tommy update: some good, some bad

Well I've been force feeding Tommy since he left the hospital last week.
Once I learned what I was doing and got a feeding syringe, he showed some
dramatic improvement. I've been making making my own concoctions out of
ground dry cat food, vitamins, corn syrup and a few drops of olive oil. I
cut out the olive oil because it makes the stool very runny. Today I
started feeding watered down A/D. Tommy has shown much improvement in
temperment, his coat looks better, he is walking better and getting
stronger.

Unfortunately today we had a little setback. He's been a little whiny all
day then a few minutes ago he cried out in pain and pooped on the bathroom
floor. He looked like he was passing a bowling ball but the stool was
about the consistancy of pudding, brown, and smelly enough to gag a
maggot. I don't really see why he should have been straining. Until now
his bowel movements have been regular, a little loose because of all the
runny food but otherwise normal. What in the world could be going wrong
now?
Old May 30th 08, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I'm so sorry Tommy is still feeling ill. I know you meant well, but
the mixture you were feeding him may have upset his intestines. Stick
with wet food only right now, with nothing else added (except water).
You might try a grain-free canned food, such as Wellness or Nature's
Variety.

Is he on an antibiotic? If yes, which one? This might be causing some
stomach upset too.
Old May 30th 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Riannon via CatKB.com

Mac Cool wrote:
dramatic improvement. I've been making making my own concoctions out of
ground dry cat food, vitamins, corn syrup and a few drops of olive oil. I
cut out the olive oil because it makes the stool very runny. Today I
started feeding watered down A/D. Tommy has shown much improvement in

Good to see he's improving.

his bowel movements have been regular, a little loose because of all the
runny food but otherwise normal. What in the world could be going wrong
now?

Anytime you start a new food it can cause diarreah and sometimes there can be
blood in it.

Riannon

Old May 30th 08, 09:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
tension_on_the_wire

On May 29, 1:56*pm, Mac Cool wrote:
[...]

I haven't heard the background illness, but sometimes, in
constipation, if it is severe, the softer stool above the obstruction
can slide down past it and come out in what is known as "overflow"
diarrhea. So constipation might explain the straining. As I said, I
don't know what he was in hospital for, and what the past story is, so
I'm sorry if this is just a red herring.

--tension
Old May 30th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mac Cool

tension_on_the_wi

I haven't heard the background illness, but sometimes, in
constipation, if it is severe, the softer stool above the obstruction
can slide down past it and come out in what is known as "overflow"
diarrhea. So constipation might explain the straining. As I said, I
don't know what he was in hospital for, and what the past story is, so
I'm sorry if this is just a red herring.

He was diagnosed with a bad heart.
Old May 30th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mac Cool

Rene S.:

I'm so sorry Tommy is still feeling ill. I know you meant well, but
the mixture you were feeding him may have upset his intestines.

How so? I added the corn syrup and olive oil to increase his fat intake
since he is not eating on his own and I'm watering his food down, he
isn't getting sufficient calories from the cat food alone. I stopped the
olive oil because it was giving him diarrhea.

Stick
with wet food only right now, with nothing else added (except water).

That's what I'm doing now except I'm still adding about a teaspoon of
corn syrup to each meal (about 30ml, 4x per day) and I've reduced the
amount of water added since he is getting stronger.

It's funny because he gets whiny about every 4 hours, like he's hungry
then he settles down after I force feed him but he won't take food on
his own. Sometimes he just sits and stares at his food bowl. One day he
acted as if he would take a bite from the bowl but didnt. I truly do not
understand this not eating thing.

You might try a grain-free canned food, such as Wellness or Nature's
Variety.

I might do that after I run out of A/D (2 more cans), as I understand it
has a high amount of vitamen A and may not be good for him in the long
run.

Is he on an antibiotic? If yes, which one? This might be causing some
stomach upset too.

No antibiotics.

Twice daily he takes:
pimobendan
furosemide

Every 48 hours:
1/4 baby aspirin

Every 3 days:
mirtazapine as an appetite stimulant, which hasn't worked so far
Old May 30th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

I'm so sorry Tommy is still feeling ill. I know you meant well, but
the mixture you were feeding him may have upset his intestines.

How so? I added the corn syrup and olive oil to increase his fat intake
since he is not eating on his own and I'm watering his food down, he
isn't getting sufficient calories from the cat food alone. I stopped the
olive oil because it was giving him diarrhea.

Corn syrup/sugar in general is not something cats need in their diet.
(In fact, cats lack the gene to even taste sweet things!)

Stick
with wet food only right now, with nothing else added (except water).

It's funny because he gets whiny about every 4 hours, like he's hungry
then he settles down after I force feed him but he won't take food on
his own. Sometimes he just sits and stares at his food bowl. One day he
acted as if he would take a bite from the bowl but didnt. I truly do not
understand this not eating thing.

I have read that cats, after illness or stress, can have a hard time
jump-starting their appetite. Have you tried putting a tiny bit of
food on his nose, so he's forced to lick it off? Sometimes that helps.
How about slightly warming his food?

I might do that after I run out of A/D (2 more cans), as I understand it
has a high amount of vitamen A and may not be good for him in the long
run.

A/D is certainly acceptable for a short term food. You might try
Innova Evo, a grain-free canned food that is higher in calories.

Every 48 hours:
1/4 baby aspirin

I have to wonder if this isn't bothering his stomach. How long will he
be on the aspirin?

Every 3 days:
mirtazapine as an appetite stimulant, which hasn't worked so far

Have you thought about trying cyproheptadine as an appetite stimulant?
It's actually an antihistimine that has a side effect of increasing
appetite. I know many people who have used it with good results.

Update On Rob. OT and not good news. [email protected] Cat anecdotes 13 February 17th 07 12:26 PM
UPDATE ON SPIRIT Good and bad Matthew Cat anecdotes 24 September 14th 06 09:31 PM
Good-hearted Tommy? Pat Cat anecdotes 0 May 11th 06 02:34 AM
just believing under a floor beside the cellar is too good for Tommy to pull it Drunk Upset Halfwit Cat anecdotes 0 September 12th 05 01:34 PM
Harri update #5 -still good Dan M Cat anecdotes 16 June 25th 05 02:01 AM