odd litter box behavior

Old August 2nd 03, 10:39 PM

Default odd litter box behavior

anyone else ever had a cat who has the best of intentions but
apparently some crossed wires? my new cats 3 weeks home
from the humane society, does her thing in the litter box and
then paws furiously at the box (not the litter), and the wall and
toilet next to the box, for a minute or so. then she walks away
leaving her pile uncovered.

Old August 3rd 03, 01:11 AM
Doug Turner

After you've been on this list a while, you will learn that the
biggest problem with cats is "inappropriate elimination." My advice:
praise the kitty for hitting the box, and scoop the poop.

Of course, if you are adventurous, you can try other kitty litters,
etc., until you either find one kitty likes better or refuses to use,
and then abandons the box for all time. Do you feel lucky?

Old August 3rd 03, 05:03 PM
Jocelyn

Most cats will do that. Mine all do the odd time. I believe they are wiping
their paws when they do that. Make sure the litterbox is constantly clean.
This should help from them constantly wiping their paws elsewhere.

Old August 3rd 03, 06:18 PM
Paige

My Chloe has always done that. I think she is trying to get all the litter
out from in between her toes. And she ultimately does not cover her pee or
poo.

Paige

Old August 3rd 03, 06:57 PM
Elizabeth Blake

wrote in message
anyone else ever had a cat who has the best of intentions but
apparently some crossed wires? my new cats 3 weeks home
from the humane society, does her thing in the litter box and
then paws furiously at the box (not the litter), and the wall and
toilet next to the box, for a minute or so. then she walks away
leaving her pile uncovered.

Harriet, one of the cats at work, does this. She's 6 years old. Sometimes
she will even get out of the box and scratch shelves across from the box.
Some people said they may be trying to get rid of litter on their paws but I
don't think that's why Harriet is doing it. If she walks away from the
litterbox (leaving her business uncovered) and comes back later and sees it,
she goes through the whole routine again. Stinky, the other work cat,
doesn't do this and usually covers her waste. Sometimes she doesn't, and if
Harriet sees Stinky's mess she does her routine again.

Liz