[OT] Oprah?

Old February 21st 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Oprah?

Did anyone see Oprah today?

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 22nd 06, 07:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:
Did anyone see Oprah today?

No, what was it about?
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old February 22nd 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"badwilson" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
Did anyone see Oprah today?

No, what was it about?

It was a report on where Katrina recovery is now, six months after the storm
(which is pretty much not any further along than it was after the storm).
People are living in tents, in apartments without roofs over their heads,
eliminating body wastes in buckets because there is no working plumbing (and
thus living next to open sewerage and getting sick as a result). And FEMA
has more than 40 acres of trailers, empty and sitting on lots, and sinking
into the mud getting ruined because the government will not give out a
trailer without 500 pages of red tape paperwork!!!! [And hundreds of
people, like my daughter's family, have been given a trailer (three weeks
ago!!) but have not been hooked up to utilities because FEMA, fearing
lawsuits, insist on make the hook-ups themselves - thus the trailers can't
be lived in.] Bulldozers are sitting quiescent next to piles of rubble and
*nothing* is getting cleaned up much less repaired because 10000 pages of
red tape paperwork has not been filled out. Hundreds of thousands of people
are still without even temporary homes and have no jobs with which to earn
enough to buy a new home or repair their old one.

There are still over 2,000 people (bodies) unaccounted for (only about 1,300
bodies have been recovered: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11281267/). There
was a story about 2 brothers who begged for months for rescue teams to go
and recover their mother's body - they knew exactly where she was, they
watched her drown. They kept being told that the "intense searches" could
not find her, and finally they went there themselves and found the body
which was not buried under rubble, but was just hidden behind the debris of
the house. I don't think they'll ever find all those bodies (they're, in
truth, not even looking for bodies anymore and haven't since October of last
year). They're going to (hopefully? eventually?) bulldoze all the pieces of
homes and people's lives and all the bodies will be swept away with the
trash.

Evacuees are being told that their "temporary" shelters (hotel rooms,
passenger ships, tents, etc.) will have to be vacated in March, but those
people have no place to go to, no jobs to resume (95% of all businesses hit
by Katrina have not reopened), no lives to return to. The stories of
governmental and buerocratic failures went on and on and couldn't be
completely told in just one hour (as I predicted back in August of last
year, the politicians and large businesses - including the Red Cross - are
making millions of dollars out of this trajedy, but the people who need help
are not seeing a nickel of the millions of dollars donated "to them").

I think this is a national scandal. I'm deeply ashamed that my country
could treat its own citizens in such a manner. We're spending *BILLIONS* of
dollars destroying someone else's country while allowing ours to die both in
spirit and, now, in reality.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 22nd 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"badwilson" wrote in message

I agree with you Cat. I am a proud American would do anything for it but
hang my head in shame over the last couple years of dealing with these
disasters. It is pretty bad when a 3 world country that was completely
devastated is almost back to normal in less time than it takes us to get out
proverbial foot out of our ass

Old February 22nd 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

[OT] Oprah?

Group: rec.pets.cats.anecdotes Date: Wed, Feb 22, 2006, 9:02am (EST-1)
From: (CatNipped)
"badwilson" wrote in message

CatNipped wrote:

[...]

FEMA is just too big, its azz don't know what its head is doing. I saw
on some interview with head of homeland security saying the answer to
the problem is to make it even bigger by some 1,500 first responders,
another layer he called it.

It took from aug. 13 when charley hit here to sometime in late january
for us to get into a trailer and I only think the fact that my mother
fell and broke bones in both feet, her elbow and thumb and couldn't walk
got us into a trailer.

There was a story not long ago on the news about 5 trailers sitting in a
campground here waiting for someone to move who had their home destroyed
by huricane Wilma but Fema never moved anyone in but paid the campground
$5000 to park them there all hooked up and ready. There are people down
there where wilma hit still in need of a safe place to live but still
those trailers sit empty.

They are evicting people from the fema trailer park here in punta
gorda(where we stayed in the trailer) but the affordable housing in the
area has not been rebuilt so the people being evicted don't have
anywhere to go if they want to stay here. Most plan on moving away. I
guess that is one way to raise your tax base, get rid of those with
marginal incomes. There is already a shortage of those to fill minimum
wage jobs around here...why are they wondering why?

Old February 22nd 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:

"badwilson" wrote in message

CatNipped wrote:

[...]

be lived in.] snip

How horrible! I do hope something will be done now at least for the poor
people there.
Lots and lots of purrs and best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

[OT] Mum update Yowie Cat anecdotes 16 November 15th 05 08:09 PM
[OT] Outraged!!!!!! CatNipped Cat anecdotes 18 October 20th 05 05:20 PM
Cat collecter on Oprah today -L. Cat anecdotes 9 May 8th 05 12:22 PM
[OT] I'm In Shock! CatNipped Cat anecdotes 144 April 23rd 05 05:24 AM
[OT] Letterman's Tax Season Top 10 Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 0 April 16th 05 12:02 AM