[OT] North American Union

Old July 10th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

Default [OT] North American Union

wrote in message
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

I was talking about BEFORE Castro came to power! (I forget
how many of you were not even a gleam in your parents' eyes
then.) I don't remember why (if I ever knew) but I'm pretty
sure of my facts.

But this is what you wrote:

- Yes, I meant more "ill-considered" than "unsuccessful" -
- remember who supported Castro against the established Cuban
- government, way back when? (And Saddam in Iraq, once upon a
- time?) It might have been better for both our country and
- the world, if some of the CIA's operations had been LESS
- successful!

It sounded like you were implying that the US gov't supported Castro
against Batista. Did you not mean that? Were you referring to another
government (ie, the Soviet Union)?

Since you talked about dictators that the US/CIA has supported, eg,
Saddam Hussein, I thought you were saying that they also helped Castro
win the revolution. And I just can't believe that.

Joyce

I did some lite research this morning, and while Castro was briefly a
popular hero with the US newspapers and population, saw nothing to indicate
he ever had any kind of support from the US government. The closest thing I
found indicated that we did stop selling weapons to Bautista or interfered
with his acquisition of weapons in some way.

Whatever charm Castro had went away pretty fast when he took over control of
the Cuban government and nationalized foreign investments.

Jo

Old July 10th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Helen Miles

Well, the CIA isn't exactly "military"////

Well, everyone KNOWS that "CIA" stands for "Completely Incompetent
A$$holes" ;o)

Helen M - Sh*t stiring.

Old July 11th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

But this is what you wrote:

- Yes, I meant more "ill-considered" than "unsuccessful" -
- remember who supported Castro against the established Cuban
- government, way back when? (And Saddam in Iraq, once upon a
- time?) It might have been better for both our country and
- the world, if some of the CIA's operations had been LESS
- successful!

It sounded like you were implying that the US gov't supported Castro
against Batista.

I wasn't "implying" anything - SFAIK, it's TRUE, we DID
support Castro (presumably against Batista). As I say, I
don't remember the reasons (if I ever knew them) but I think
the fact was pretty well established at the time. You must
remember, Castro represented himself as a "liberator", and I
think the U.S. had grown a bit disenchanted with Batista's
totalitarian regime.

Since you talked about dictators that the US/CIA has supported, eg,
Saddam Hussein, I thought you were saying that they also helped Castro
win the revolution. And I just can't believe that.

I can't give you any direct citations, but check it out at
your library - I think you'll find I'm correct.

Old July 11th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jo Firey wrote:

I did some lite research this morning, and while Castro was briefly a
popular hero with the US newspapers and population, saw nothing to indicate
he ever had any kind of support from the US government.

Not overt support (the CIA specializes in covert operations,
remember?) but the assistance was there.

The closest thing I
found indicated that we did stop selling weapons to Bautista or interfered
with his acquisition of weapons in some way.

Whatever charm Castro had went away pretty fast when he took over control of
the Cuban government and nationalized foreign investments.

That's why I said the CIA's support was "ill-advised".

Old July 11th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

But this is what you wrote:

[...]

But that is what I did this morning. Online. And found nothing to indicate
he had any US government support.

So how about some back up from some relatively reputable cite?

Jo

Old July 12th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

But this is what you wrote:

[...]

-
I meant a LIBRARY (you know, books?) - the trouble with
researching things "on line" is that one doesn't always ask
the right questions, and computers can't think.