[OT] On Crossposting...

Old May 6th 10, 09:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

Default On Crossposting...

"Stormmee" wrote in message
this is positive the rudest post you have ever written, you don't even
have the guts to use my name, I am ashamed for you, it was ME that was
greiving for my cat and doing anything i could to not stay in tears for
days, I am sorry for you that you couldn't understand that, don't bother
responding i will not see your response unless i am unfortunate enough to
read someone else's response to you. I have tried so very hard to not be
upset with your constant picking at every or almost every post i make i
am now done with you, Lee

Please re-read the message. I really don't think she was sniping at you. I
missed the message you posted when you were grieving, but I think the intent
of this one was to say, "Please don't feed the trolls." There are a number
of newsgroups that have literally been driven off the air (or, at least, all
the regulars haven given up and left) when trolls got out of hand and began
to post hundreds of nonsense or vitriolic messages. Trolls that are
ignored will probably give up and leave, while trolls that are fed just get
bigger and more bothersome.

MaryL

Old May 6th 10, 09:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

i appreciate you trying to be even handed, but i was the one who said i was
entertaining myself with the troll to try and distract myself, she called it
selfish without any, imho, consideration for why i was doing it, i normally
ignore trolls, but again thank you for being you... Lee

Old May 6th 10, 11:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Stormmee" wrote in message
this is positive the rudest post you have ever written, you don't even
have the guts to use my name, I am ashamed for you, it was ME that was
greiving for my cat and doing anything i could to not stay in tears for
days, I am sorry for you that you couldn't understand that, don't bother
responding i will not see your response unless i am unfortunate enough to
read someone else's response to you. I have tried so very hard to not be
upset with your constant picking at every or almost every post i make i
am now done with you, Lee

I guess I must have missed something. I never noticed Sherry constantly
picking at your posts.

And if you want to taunt trolls, that's fine with me. Have a blast! But
please don't do it by cross-posting to RPCA. Most of us don't want the
trolls to invade. BTDT.

Jill

"Sherry" wrote in message
On May 5, 8:55 pm, "Yowie" wrote:
RPCA isn't the only group I read, although I still consider it my primary
newsgroup. If I only had to subscribe to one, it would be RPCA.

However, I also enjoy reading a few others, and so its actually a really
neat surprise for me to look down the list of unread messages in another
NG
and see a name I recognise from RPCA. Its kinda nice to see a freindly
face
adn suggests we have more than just RPCA in common.

Except that the msot recent occurance was not so nice - it was flames
that
came from RPCA and were crossposted to other groups - groups I know have
absolutely nothing to do with either a) flames or b) cats.

I know when you get out your flame thrower to roast a troll, one is not
always paying attention to the Newsgroups line. But please folks, be
careful
of where you crosspost to. There are some serial trolls that would just
*love* to invade RPCA, and sending a flamey invitation really doesn't
help.

Yowie

I swear with new resolve to check any post before I reply to check for
x-posting.

And can I expand on your post a little?

Something to think about. If a troll writes an outrageous post, and no
one replies, what
happens? If he posts another outrageous post the next day, and no one
responds, what
happens? We honestly don't know, because we've never seen it tried.

One poster here claimed she was entertaining herself by toying with a
troll. IMO, that's a
very selfish act -- just because *she* likes to argue and snipe back
and forth with posters
you don't even know -- or have *any idea* who they are, or what
they're capable of -- please
think of the rest of us who actually enjoy this group. You probably
weren't here back when
this kind of thing got out of hand, and the group became virtually
unreadable. Posters'
email addys were hacked. It was a nightmare. And IIRC it started with
crossposting and
sniping at trolls; then the trolls recruited tag-teams. Soon the group
was flooded.

But if everyone just *ignored* potentially volatile posts, there would
be no replies, and no crosspostng.Is that so hard to do?

And how is this for hypocrisy -- I am the one who hates censoring and
even if I hate what you're saying, I'll defend your right to say it. I
just want the parts of rpca that were always so
unique to stay in place. If I wanted a heated debate, I'd go to other
cat groups where that's the norm.
Sherry

Old May 6th 10, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On May 6, 12:12*am, Sherry wrote:
On May 5, 8:55*pm, "Yowie" wrote:

[...]

I've seen it tried and seen it tried for several years. There is a guy
who trolls various groups and, on some of them, has never had a real
reply. So he has created an alter-ego that hates him and calls him all
kind of vile names and they fight constantly. This happens just about
as much on the groups where no one replies to he as it does on the
groups where he catches a great deal of flack.

Then there's the Lois McMaster Bujold newsgroup. No one posts there,
alas, but spammers and trolls. No one ever answers another person's
post. I subscribed to the group before I knew this but I look in and
there is an endless list of one-post threads. People shouting into the
vacuum.

--
Will in New Haven
Old May 6th 10, 02:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On May 6, 4:11*am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"Stormmee" wrote in message

[...]

From what I have seen, as an admitted UseNet junkie, some trolls will
not go away because they get no responses. And newsgroups that become
infested with trolls and junk were usually already empty, or nearly
empty, before the invasion. Really divisive stuff that does drive
people away from a newsgroup is usually not from trolls but from angry
people with strong opinions, or _not_ angry people with strong
opinions from WITHIN the newsgroup.

--
Will in New Haven

Old May 6th 10, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On May 5, 11:34*pm, "Stormmee" wrote:
ps. we don't need trolls when youw rite things like this, Lee, now really
done."Sherry" wrote in message

Let me address several issues that seem to be going on here.

1. I am very sorry that you interpreted my post as rude. But I do have
a right to my
own opinion, and I did try to deliver that in a nonpersonal, non-
aggressive way. I truly
wish that I could locate in the archives the time period when rpca was
pretty nearly
destroyed, all from crossposting and playing with trolls. And at the
time, I'm sure I
was one of the guilty ones.

2. I am very hurt that you all but called me a troll. Sometimes I
don't go with the
popular opinion, but what I put out there is ME. It's what I think.
Debate, or disagreement,
isn't nitpicking. And nitpicking was never my intent, either. If any
of us have a different
view, or opinion, we can disagree as long as it doesnt deteriorate
into name-calling,
and personal attacks. Each of us has that right.

3. I'm also very hurt that you posted in a global forum that I
obviously don't have enough
sense to handle raw chicken. I still don't get that post. Unless it
was speciically crafted
to humiliate and hurt me, I don't know why you said that. THAT is a
personal attack, and
a snipe. Lee, I have *never* posted anything like that to you, and I
think you know that.
Raw chicken is a topic that's come up here many times and I've said
the same thing before. My opinion that differs from yours is not
nitpicking you. IIRC I think I even conceded that I
probably don't know the facts feline immunity to salmonella.

I'm very sorry that you lost TV. It hasnt been that long since I lost
Yoda, and that
grief is still all too fresh. I hope it gave you some degree of
solace, I admit I don't
understand that; on a personal level flaming someone wouldn't have
helped me. But
again, I admit we're all different, and we handle things differently.

It was never my intent to start a flamefest among members of this
group. Especially with
me in the middle. We have lost too many regular posters here already.

Sherry

Old May 6th 10, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
BfloPolska

I really hope you don't go. I have the utmost respect for you. If you
do I hope it's just long enough to get your steam out, then come back.

As a comparative religion junkie I have watched my most of my favorite
NG's and sites become corrupted and downgraded by flames, sniping,
anti-American, anti-Democrat, racial bigotry and bigotry against
creed. Now I only come to RPCA and one other Usenet group because I am
so tired of the negativity and all the horsepucky that has nothing to
do with the group's supposed focus. I understand so much where your
frustration comes from! I hope you stay with us.

Blessed be,
Baha

On May 6, 12:41*am, "Stormmee" wrote:
this used to be one of my favorite groups, it is no longer, i am just plain
tired of being nit picked to death and even mark's lovely stories and
similar from others is not doing much to keep me here. *i am very fond of
many who post here but have grown tired of being sniped at by people who
don't have the guts to challenge me directly and*not you yowie* so i am
seriously considering my options. *I am leaning towards lurk mode and
strategic blockng. i am not saying any of this to get responses in support
or against my position, i am posting out of frusteration, an just in case i
go further and unssubscribe, i would like to thank all of you who were
supportive in helping with my loss of tv, your support is what made me drawn
to this group, the ability to greive with people who understood all kinds of
greiving... evidentally not all of you share that point of veiw i am just
plain tired of wondering if i can open a message and finding backhnded
snipes so if i do unsub, those of you have my email and are inclined to are
welcome to email.

Old May 6th 10, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Stormmee" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry, but this time around Lee is absolutely right. Just a few
days after her cat died, the group was visited by a stinky little
troll. Several of us took a few jabs at it, rather like cats
playing with a dying mouse or lizard. Lee said point blank at the
time she was messing with the troll a bit to keep her mind occupied.
Lots of us have done the same time at one time or another.

Me, I see nothing wrong with a bit of troll baiting as long as you
put them in the trash when they start to stink.

Sherry couldn't have been more specific without using her name.

It was a short bit of troll activity, kept Lee and some of the rest
of us amused for a while, and didn't deteriorate into ugliness. No
harm was done. Not even to the troll.

To come back a pick on a group member for the incident at the time
would have been bad enough. After all, many, it not most trolls get
their jollies out of getting us to fight with each other. To drag
it back out after the fact is 'not nice'.

Jo

Jo

Old May 6th 10, 08:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

I was completely wrong to say what i did about chicken. i apologize for
that, it was totally wrong and i posted it as an emotional reaction to your
post calling me selfish because i was entertaining myself with the troll for
some reason i can't understand upset me tremendously. as i said in my post
to mary, having survived through a city/state sanation certification
process, chicken *and live worms in fish* are positively the two biggest
food hazards and even handled properly from the food preparers standpoint
aren't always enough.

as to the trolls and groups. I can see that i am for some reason not dealing
well with groups, could be tv, could be posts, could just be me... I think
after today and perhaps this thread i will take a break.

I am truly sorry you lost yota, it is just too hard, to lose them.