chats en voyage

Old October 23rd 03, 01:33 AM
sylvie haller

Default chats en voyage

Bonjour.
Je pars vivre en Grèce (île de Syros, Cyclades) avec mes trois chats
adultes au printemps, et j'habite actuellement Ã* la montagne en Valais
(CH). Je suis terriblement inquiète pour ce voyage : de la montagne Ã*
Genève (200kms de voiture), avion de Genève Ã* Athènes avec
éventuellement transit par Zurich, arrivée Ã* l'aéroport puis transport
vers le Pirée, puis bateau du Pirée Ã* Ermoupoli (capitale de Syros)
..... Comment me et les préparer ? Quelqu'un a-t-il déjÃ* vécu une
situation pareille et comment cela s'est-il passé ?
Merci pour vos réponses, anglais, grec, italien ou français.
Sylvie
Old October 23rd 03, 01:54 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"sylvie haller" wrote in message
om...
Bonjour.
Je pars vivre en Grèce (île de Syros, Cyclades) avec mes trois chats
adultes au printemps, et j'habite actuellement Ã* la montagne en Valais
(CH). Je suis terriblement inquiète pour ce voyage : de la montagne Ã*
Genève (200kms de voiture), avion de Genève Ã* Athènes avec
éventuellement transit par Zurich, arrivée Ã* l'aéroport puis transport
vers le Pirée, puis bateau du Pirée Ã* Ermoupoli (capitale de Syros)
.... Comment me et les préparer ? Quelqu'un a-t-il déjÃ* vécu une
situation pareille et comment cela s'est-il passé ?
Merci pour vos réponses, anglais, grec, italien ou français.
Sylvie

I could basically read & understand your post, but can't write well in
French (or at all in Greek or Italian). Besides, I haven't personally
traveled w/ my cat(s) by air or ship/boat, only by car, so have little to
offer you in the way of advice.

My tiny English answer: I can understand your anxiety, considering there
will be so many modes of transport involved. You're going to need carriers,
& will have to contact the airline company & the shipping (ferry?) line, to
find out exactly what their requirements are.

For the car, as long as the carriers fit into the back seat, that'll be
fine, & that particular portion of the trip will be short enough that they
won't need litter or water.

The thing is, assuming that the whole trip will be a rather long one, litter
boxes & water (& maybe a little food?) will have to be provided somehow, but
in a way that the cats won't have any chance of accidentally getting loose.

Hopefully someone else here will have *much* better advice - maybe ones
who've dealt with this sort of move before.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old October 24th 03, 03:46 AM
Kalyahna

"sylvie haller" wrote in message
om...
Bonjour.
Je pars vivre en Grèce (île de Syros, Cyclades) avec mes trois chats
adultes au printemps, et j'habite actuellement Ã* la montagne en Valais
(CH). Je suis terriblement inquiète pour ce voyage : de la montagne Ã*
Genève (200kms de voiture), avion de Genève Ã* Athènes avec
éventuellement transit par Zurich, arrivée Ã* l'aéroport puis transport
vers le Pirée, puis bateau du Pirée Ã* Ermoupoli (capitale de Syros)
.... Comment me et les préparer ? Quelqu'un a-t-il déjÃ* vécu une
situation pareille et comment cela s'est-il passé ?
Merci pour vos réponses, anglais, grec, italien ou français.
Sylvie

She's moving to Greece with three cats and is worried about a trip. From
Valais to Geneva by car, from there to Athens by plane, and then to her
destination by boat. What can she do? Does anyone have experience with this
sort of thing, and what happened for them?

I've only travelled by car, and never more than 3 hours at a time, so I
can't really offer any advice on this. Anyone else with some advice?

Old October 24th 03, 04:35 AM
MacCandace

I've only travelled by car, and never more than 3 hours at a time, so I
can't really offer any advice on this. Anyone else with some advice?

Is it a continuous trip or will she be staying in a hotel between the different
legs? Do we know that? If so, then it seems as though it would be just like
traveling by car or plane...have them in carriers and let them out when you
reach the hotel for the evening. Is there a quarantine involved anywhere? I
hope not, for all their sakes. What about on the plane...can they be in the
cabin or do they have to go by cargo? If the Valais to Geneva and the Athens
to final destination are only a few hours apiece, it shouldn't be any worse
than traveling by car/plane for awhile. I think it hinges on whether this is
all done at once or if there are breaks involved.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old October 24th 03, 04:41 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"MacCandace" wrote in message
I've only travelled by car, and never more than 3 hours at a time, so I
can't really offer any advice on this. Anyone else with some advice?

Is it a continuous trip or will she be staying in a hotel between the

different
legs? Do we know that?

I may be wrong, but to me it sounds liked a continuous trip, with a
layover/change of planes in Zurich.

Old October 25th 03, 01:49 AM
Joe Canuck

sylvie haller wrote:
Bonjour.
Je pars vivre en Grèce (île de Syros, Cyclades) avec mes trois chats
adultes au printemps, et j'habite actuellement Ã* la montagne en Valais
(CH). Je suis terriblement inquiète pour ce voyage : de la montagne Ã*
Genève (200kms de voiture), avion de Genève Ã* Athènes avec
éventuellement transit par Zurich, arrivée Ã* l'aéroport puis transport
vers le Pirée, puis bateau du Pirée Ã* Ermoupoli (capitale de Syros)
.... Comment me et les préparer ? Quelqu'un a-t-il déjÃ* vécu une
situation pareille et comment cela s'est-il passé ?
Merci pour vos réponses, anglais, grec, italien ou français.
Sylvie

English translation follows:

Hello. I leave food to Greece (island of Syros, Cyclades) with my three
adult cats in spring, and I currently live with the mountain Were worth
some (CH). I am terribly anxious for this voyage: mountain in Geneva
(200kms of car), plane from Geneva in Athens with possibly transit by
Zurich, arrival with the airport then transport towards Pirée, then boat
of Pirée with Ermoupoli (capital of Syros).... How me and to prepare
them? Did somebody already live a similar situation and how that it
occurred? Thank you for your answers, English, Greek, Italian or
French. Sylvie

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck