Our household update (new cat.. way too long introduction)

Old February 4th 05, 03:46 AM
Brian Link

Default Our household update (new cat.. way too long introduction)

I keep meaning to call Meghan but we are so incredibly swamped we
hardly have time to say hi to each other in our household, let alone
set an appointment. I'll be calling her this week.

Henry is drilling in as one of my favorite cats of all time (the
1-yr-old stray we adopted). He has a Nerml face, loves to play, and
will cuddle at the slightest provocation. At the same time, Tiger and
Louis (12-yr-old mutt Maine Coon clone and baby bengal) are as loving
as ever. Louis has even begun to be obviously affectionate, though
he's also started to spray.. =/ They are totally happy with each
other, and thankfully keep each other company when they're confined to
let Henry roam.

We've been trying to find a home for Henry, with no luck. We can't cut
a hole in a door for a screen in order to try the oft-suggested
indoctrination. Instead I've started bringing out scrumptious codfish
treats any time we move the cats from one place to another.

The interesting progression of behavior is that Henry the stray seems
to be becoming afraid of Louis the baby Bengal. Though Louis is half
Henry's size, he'll charge if given the opportunity. He's very
territorial. Henry just seems to want to be friends, except with Tiger
(smaller, older Maine Coon Clone).

Before you start casting blame, I realize we have not been the most
conscientious about this introduction. In fact it's gone on several
months, with no progress. As I've said in earlier posts, we've never
had this much trouble with introductions, having owned seven cats in
the last 12 years.

I'm looking for a home for Henry out of necessity, not out of desire.
Tiger is a true Maine Coon clone, preferring to hang out near you, but
not on you. Louis is a true Bengal, interested in what you're doing,
but unwilling to cuddle. Henry is the quintessential lap-cat, who will
climb on you and drool in ecstasy for hours. I've been missing that
latter type of cat.

Advice is always welcome, but mostly I just wanted to write in order
to vent a bit. sigh

At least all cats still seem happy, excepting Louis' sudden need to
mark (neutered at six weeks old, no less).

bah

Sometimes it sucks to love cats.

BLink
Old February 4th 05, 03:51 AM
Mary

"Brian Link" wrote :

Advice is always welcome, but mostly I just wanted to write in order
to vent a bit. sigh

Venting is good. :P

Sometimes it sucks to love cats.

But not often.

Old February 4th 05, 01:08 PM
KellyH

"Brian Link" wrote in message
news
I'm looking for a home for Henry out of necessity, not out of desire.
Tiger is a true Maine Coon clone, preferring to hang out near you, but
not on you. Louis is a true Bengal, interested in what you're doing,
but unwilling to cuddle. Henry is the quintessential lap-cat, who will
climb on you and drool in ecstasy for hours. I've been missing that
latter type of cat.

Some cats just do not play well with others. I have seen this mostly in
male cats that are neutered after adulthood. Sometimes they keep their
machoness and will not tolerate other males, but are OK with females. This
sounds like your Henry. I'm not saying it's hopeless, but maybe he would be
better off as an only. How old is he?
Where are you? If you are anywhere near New Hampshire, I could help find
him a home through the rescue I'm with.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old February 4th 05, 06:29 PM
Brian Link

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 08:08:18 -0500, "KellyH"
wrote:

"Brian Link" wrote in message
news
I'm looking for a home for Henry out of necessity, not out of desire.
Tiger is a true Maine Coon clone, preferring to hang out near you, but
not on you. Louis is a true Bengal, interested in what you're doing,
but unwilling to cuddle. Henry is the quintessential lap-cat, who will
climb on you and drool in ecstasy for hours. I've been missing that
latter type of cat.

Some cats just do not play well with others. I have seen this mostly in
male cats that are neutered after adulthood. Sometimes they keep their
machoness and will not tolerate other males, but are OK with females. This
sounds like your Henry. I'm not saying it's hopeless, but maybe he would be
better off as an only. How old is he?
Where are you? If you are anywhere near New Hampshire, I could help find
him a home through the rescue I'm with.

Actually Henry has turned out to be quite docile, compared to how he
was at the outset. He hates Tiger, but won't attack him unless
provoked.

It's Louis the Bengal. It's horrifying and impressive at the same time
to see a little 9 lb cat pounce on a massive 17 lb furball. But he has
no fear, and is dedicated to killing Henry.

BLink
Old February 4th 05, 06:43 PM
KellyH

"Brian Link" wrote in message
Actually Henry has turned out to be quite docile, compared to how he
was at the outset. He hates Tiger, but won't attack him unless
provoked.

It's Louis the Bengal. It's horrifying and impressive at the same time
to see a little 9 lb cat pounce on a massive 17 lb furball. But he has
no fear, and is dedicated to killing Henry.

Gotcha... must have gotten the cats mixed up while reading. I thought Henry
was still on the attack. Have you tried the Feliway diffusers? They calmed
down my cats.