Alternatives for dental care?

Old March 12th 05, 04:13 AM
Brian Link

Default Alternatives for dental care?

Okay, I've tried supposed plaque-fighting treats. No go. I've tried
the fingertip toothbrush. No go. I've tried a real toothbrush. One cat
actually liked it, but that's because we adopted him from a Dentist,
who brushed his teeth every day. lol.

I'm mostly concerned about Tiger, a ~12-yr-old. His teeth look fine,
and the vet gave him a thumbs-up after our last visit. But I've been
reading some scary stuff about the dangers of poor dental health for
older cats (and yes, I realize he isn't "old" yet, but I wanna be
ready).

Any other things you folks have tried to keep your cats' teeth clean?
I spose there's always taking him to the vet and having him
anesthetized.. but I'm hoping to avoid that if possible.

Thanks for any ideas.

BLink
Old March 12th 05, 05:16 AM
GrapplerGurl

There is a cat food called Feline T/D for dental care. It is dry food
and the bits are fairly hard. I had my dog on the canine T/D and it
worked well. Haven't had my cat long enough really but I detect no
plaque or discoloring yet.

Old March 12th 05, 04:40 PM
Mary

"GrapplerGurl" wrote in message
news
There is a cat food called Feline T/D for dental care. It is dry food
and the bits are fairly hard. I had my dog on the canine T/D and it
worked well. Haven't had my cat long enough really but I detect no
plaque or discoloring yet.

I used one of the "dental diets" at one point. The pieces were
large and round, and the cats really had to break them up.

Old March 12th 05, 06:35 PM

The best toothbrush for cats can be found he
http://www.fuzzytummy.com/cet--cat-toothbrush-.htm
It is very simple to use and fits easily in a cat's mouth. I have used
this on all my cats (except Stella who is a hard core feral) and I've
never had a problem.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke