clumping litter disposal

Old April 21st 05, 02:44 AM
John Doe

Default clumping litter disposal

I have been using 1 gallon ziplock plastic bags for years to put
clumps of litter in before taking the whole bag to the trash.
Recently, I noticed what might be an easier way to do things.

.... cut the top off of a litter container so that you have like a
small trash can

.... insert a small plastic bag like a grocery bag

That's it. When I go to add clumps, I just put the bag edges over the
trash can edges. When finished, twirl up the top of the bag and stick
it down into the trash can. Works great so far. It's easy because I
don't have to keep the stupid ziplock bag opening from getting in the
way of incoming clumps. The wide opening makes it less messy also.

The grocery bag might not hold as much as a 1 gallon ziplock bag, but
it will hold plenty. I had to carry the ziplock bag by the bottom
anyway.
Old April 21st 05, 03:14 AM
mlbriggs

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 01:44:45 +0000, John Doe wrote:

I have been using 1 gallon ziplock plastic bags for years to put clumps of
litter in before taking the whole bag to the trash. Recently, I noticed
what might be an easier way to do things.

... cut the top off of a litter container so that you have like a small
trash can

... insert a small plastic bag like a grocery bag

That's it. When I go to add clumps, I just put the bag edges over the
trash can edges. When finished, twirl up the top of the bag and stick it
down into the trash can. Works great so far. It's easy because I don't
have to keep the stupid ziplock bag opening from getting in the way of
incoming clumps. The wide opening makes it less messy also.

The grocery bag might not hold as much as a 1 gallon ziplock bag, but it
will hold plenty. I had to carry the ziplock bag by the bottom anyway.

I use the bags I bring fruit and vegs home from the store. I keep the
current one in a small plastic waste basket, I scoop several times a day
and just open the bag and put it in. Every other day I tie it closed and
put it out with the trash. Easy and economical. MLB
Old April 21st 05, 03:41 AM
Elizabeth Blake

"John Doe" wrote in message
I have been using 1 gallon ziplock plastic bags for years to put
clumps of litter in before taking the whole bag to the trash.
Recently, I noticed what might be an easier way to do things.

... cut the top off of a litter container so that you have like a
small trash can

... insert a small plastic bag like a grocery bag

That's it. When I go to add clumps, I just put the bag edges over the
trash can edges. When finished, twirl up the top of the bag and stick
it down into the trash can. Works great so far. It's easy because I
don't have to keep the stupid ziplock bag opening from getting in the
way of incoming clumps. The wide opening makes it less messy also.

The grocery bag might not hold as much as a 1 gallon ziplock bag, but
it will hold plenty. I had to carry the ziplock bag by the bottom
anyway.

I buy the smallest garbage bags I can find (4 gallon, I think, but might be
smaller) and use a regular little trash can in the bathroom. I scoop twice
a day and throw the bag out every day. I don't even bother trying to seal
off the bag between scoops, as it doesn't really smell. I use World's Best
Cat Litter, which is also flushable. I do sometimes flush the clumps but
try not to do it too much, because they keep sending notices around warning
tenants not to flush any litter. I do flush the poop about 90% of the time,
though. Hardly any litter sticks to the turds so I don't worry about
flushing them.

At work, where we have two cats, I have a Fisher Price diaper disposal.
It's very basic and doesn't require any special bags or liners, just regular
old garbage bags. I scoop clumps from the 4 litter boxes into a small
plastic bag, tie it closed and put it in the disposal. I empty that
whenever it gets full, maybe every 3 weeks or so.

Other small cheap bags that work well for scooping are plastic food storage
bags you can find in any dollar store. They have no ziplock seal or
anything, just a plain bag. I get them 50 for $1, and they also work in the
little garbage can I have in my bathroom at home. I only buy those if I
can't find my preferred bags, because I have had problems with the cheap
bags splitting as I was carrying it to the trash. Having to clean up a pile
of litter-n-poop from my living room floor is worth spending a little more
than $1 for the bags.

--
Liz

Old April 21st 05, 03:46 AM
Cheryl

On Wed 20 Apr 2005 09:44:45p, John Doe wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

That's it. When I go to add clumps, I just put the bag edges
over the trash can edges. When finished, twirl up the top of the
bag and stick it down into the trash can. Works great so far.
It's easy because I don't have to keep the stupid ziplock bag
opening from getting in the way of incoming clumps. The wide
opening makes it less messy also.

I use grocery store bags but I don't put them in anything. I just
scoop into them, and carry it out to the trash. They're free, so I
don't try to "fill" them. I did once have a situation where I ran
out of bags. I don't know how because these days I have way too
many. LOL I guess it depends on the checkout bagger. Some stores
have better bags for litter, though. Some just tear too easily and
they already have holes before groceries are taken out. With these,
I double bag.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old April 21st 05, 03:55 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

Heh - I now wonder how many people check for holes in their plastic grocery
bags. When I put away groceries once I get them home, I look inside each
bag: no holes - good, will be used for scooped litter. Any holes, into the
trash.

Cathy

Old April 21st 05, 05:44 AM
-L.

Cathy Friedmann wrote:
Heh - I now wonder how many people check for holes in their plastic

grocery
bags. When I put away groceries once I get them home, I look inside

each
bag: no holes - good, will be used for scooped litter. Any holes,

into the
trash.

Cathy

Yep. I hate using plastic of any kind but this is one area that I
do. I line a bucket that has a sealing top with a grocery bag, scoop
into it, and then place the top on the bucket. No stink - it's all
contained. I throw the bag away every few days.

-L.

Old April 21st 05, 06:56 AM
John Doe

"-L." wrote:
Cathy Friedmann wrote:

Heh - I now wonder how many people check for holes in their
plastic grocery bags. When I put away groceries once I get
them home, I look inside each bag: no holes - good, will be
used for scooped litter. Any holes, into the trash.

Yep.

Yup.

I hate using plastic of any kind but this is one area
that I do. I line a bucket that has a sealing top with a
grocery bag, scoop into it, and then place the top on the
bucket. No stink - it's all contained. I throw the bag away
every few days.

That sounds really easy. A very small bucket with a plastic bag
turned over the edges and a top. I guess it's time to move up on
the litter scooping hierarchy [playing].

Old April 21st 05, 12:36 PM
Janet B

Arm & Hammer Easy Flush. Flushes easily w/no problem. Crystals which
don't need flushing or frequent disposal in another box. I flush dog
waste scooped from the yard too. Helps to have a toilet pretty much
dedicated to this task!

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old April 21st 05, 01:02 PM
blueberries79

"John Doe" wrote in message
I have been using 1 gallon ziplock plastic bags for years to put
clumps of litter in before taking the whole bag to the trash.
Recently, I noticed what might be an easier way to do things.

... cut the top off of a litter container so that you have like a
small trash can

... insert a small plastic bag like a grocery bag

That's it. When I go to add clumps, I just put the bag edges over the
trash can edges. When finished, twirl up the top of the bag and stick
it down into the trash can. Works great so far. It's easy because I
don't have to keep the stupid ziplock bag opening from getting in the
way of incoming clumps. The wide opening makes it less messy also.

The grocery bag might not hold as much as a 1 gallon ziplock bag, but
it will hold plenty. I had to carry the ziplock bag by the bottom
anyway.

How often should you change the complete box of litter? I notice no matter
how well I scoop, the remaining litter always seems a little 'used'
especially when I poar a little more on top to replace what I just scooped.
It makes me want to just replace the entire box of litter every time. We
have two cats, a 11lb cutie and a 17lb giant fur ball : )