Buffy and the Birthday Flowers

Old July 25th 15, 11:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Buffy and the Birthday Flowers

Try as I might, my SO insists on sending me flowers for my birthday.

I love flowers, don't get me wrong. I do think they're an unnecessary
expense for something so short-lived. And I have more vases than I know
what to do with. But it's the lillies. This florist always puts some
sort of lillies in her arrangements. They're beautiful... and toxic.
Buffy likes to eat greens. She'd likely chew on flowers.

So I started to ask him not to send me flowers. He said too late!

Oh dear. The florist always puts some sort of lillies in her
arrangements. They're toxic!

He said, "Oh, no, I didn't think about Buffy!" He called the florist
and told her, "No lillies, her new cat might eat them."

No lillies in this arrangement. But yes, a Buffy is a curious cat...

http://i62.tinypic.com/2j5jg45.jpg

After I snapped the pic I snapped my fingers and said NO! She hopped
down. She hasn't tried to jump up again but you can tell she knows
there's something new and possibly interesting up there. She sort of
sits near the base of the table and gives it casual upward glances. G

I'll probably wind up putting the flowers in the kitchen at bedtime. I
keep the kitchen door closed. No chance for her to think it might be a
kitty snack or toy. :

Jill
Old July 25th 15, 11:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

On 7/25/2015 5:18 PM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I tell people that I can't have anything alive ("or that used to be
alive") in the house because my cats will eat them. Even so, I
occasionally find that flowers have been delivered. So, I lock the
flowers in the sunroom because it has glass doors that lock and I can
still view them throught the doors.

MaryL

Old July 26th 15, 04:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Sat, 25 Jul 2015 18:18:54 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
No lillies in this arrangement. But yes, a Buffy is a curious cat...

http://i62.tinypic.com/2j5jg45.jpg

She's as pretty as your flowers. I'm a bit surprised that flowers are
considered a problem with cats, because so many cats are indoor/outdoor,
and there must be tons of flowers outdoors, but you never hear flowers
being a danger, just things like cars and raptors.
Old July 26th 15, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote:
No lillies in this arrangement. But yes, a Buffy is a curious cat...

http://i62.tinypic.com/2j5jg45.jpg

She's as pretty as your flowers. I'm a bit surprised that flowers are
considered a problem with cats, because so many cats are indoor/outdoor,
and there must be tons of flowers outdoors, but you never hear flowers
being a danger, just things like cars and raptors.

Lilies are a no-no
http://www.noliliesforcats.com/faq1.pml

Old July 26th 15, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 7:00:32 PM UTC+1, Christina Websell wrote:

Lilies are a no-no
http://www.noliliesforcats.com/faq1.pml

I use one florist when I buy flowers i.e. on the anniversary of losing mum, who very sensibly keep lillies away from the main counter and have a huge sign over them saying "Lillies are VERY toxic for cats. If the recipient of your flowers has cats do NOT choose them as even a little bit of pollen can kill a cat"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old July 27th 15, 01:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 7/26/2015 2:17 PM, Lesley Madigan wrote:
On Sunday, July 26, 2015 at 7:00:32 PM UTC+1, Christina Websell wrote:

Lilies are a no-no
http://www.noliliesforcats.com/faq1.pml

I use one florist when I buy flowers i.e. on the anniversary of losing mum, who very sensibly keep lillies away from the main counter and have a huge sign over them saying "Lillies are VERY toxic for cats. If the recipient of your flowers has cats do NOT choose them as even a little bit of pollen can kill a cat"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

That's a saavy florist! The woman called me to let me know she'd left
the flowers by my front door. (Odd, I was home, why didn't she ring the
bell?) She said she had no idea lillies could be harmful to cats. Now
she knows.

Jill
Old July 27th 15, 09:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Monday, July 27, 2015 at 8:59:44 AM UTC+1, Judith Latham wrote:

What a nice thing to have up in the shop. I like your florist.

It probably goes without saying she has 5 cats. When she gets home from work, she leaves her shoes in the garage, put her work clothes in a lidded hamper and has a shower and changes into a set of clothes that she doesn't wear for work before she feeds her cats- a friend of hers lost a cat due to lilly pollen so she takes no chances