Adopting an other cat

Old October 12th 03, 09:34 PM
Sylvie Lauzon

Default Adopting an other cat

I have a Norwegian Forest cat, age 7 and neutered - good tempered animal
with a mind of its own at times!!! I now have the opportunity to adopt a
pure bred Main Coon, also 7 and neutered. My dilemma is, will my cat accept
this new comer; I do not want to traumatize my cat. Has any of you had the
experience of introducing an older cat into your home? I am open to any
suggestion. Thank you, Sylvie

Old October 12th 03, 09:51 PM
Suzie-Q

Sylvie Lauzon wrote:

I have a Norwegian Forest cat, age 7 and neutered - good tempered animal
with a mind of its own at times!!! I now have the opportunity to adopt a
pure bred Main Coon, also 7 and neutered. My dilemma is, will my cat accept
this new comer; I do not want to traumatize my cat. Has any of you had the
experience of introducing an older cat into your home? I am open to any
suggestion. Thank you, Sylvie

I'm sure you'll get some good advice from other cat owners,
but here's my 2 cents worth.

Keep the new cat either in a cage or in a separate room. Let
both cats get used to the smell of the other by taking things
from one cat (a blanket or towel or whatever) to the other cat.
Do this for awhile - maybe a week or two. Then let the cats
see each other -- maybe get close enough to smell -- but through
a gate or the cage. Don't put them together until they are very
used to the scent of each other. You'll be able to tell if they
are going to accept each other. Once they do, try some supervised
exposure. Do this until they are both comfortable.

I think this will work for you. I hope it does!

8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/

Old October 14th 03, 04:05 AM
Aphrodite's Cat

My mother just took my brother's cat that he basically abandoned (the cat
wasn't welcome in the house and my brother didn't care if it starved or
died) and took it home. She's got 3 5-year-olds (one cat with FIV, 2
perfectly healthy) and an old, crotchety 13 year old with FeLV. The other
cats just ignore the newcomer most of the time from what I hear.

The best thing to do is to introduce them slowly to each other over the
course of a week or two. Make sure that you love and cuddle your Norwegian
Forest, so it doesn't think that you're abandoning it.

Good luck. I'd love to have a Norwegian Forest or a Maine Coon.
--
Mollie Smith

-=+Team ToolFox+=-
www.toolfox.com

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
The man who sees, on New Year's day, Mount Fuji, a hawk, and an eggplant is
forever blessed. -- Old Japanese proverb
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Sylvie Lauzon" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
I have a Norwegian Forest cat, age 7 and neutered - good tempered animal
with a mind of its own at times!!! I now have the opportunity to adopt a
pure bred Main Coon, also 7 and neutered. My dilemma is, will my cat

accept
this new comer; I do not want to traumatize my cat. Has any of you had

the
experience of introducing an older cat into your home? I am open to any
suggestion. Thank you, Sylvie

---