What cat toy?

Old January 22nd 04, 04:01 AM
GovtLawyer

Default What cat toy?

Next week is Mickey & Daisy's first birthday. (link to photos below). So, I'd
like to get them something and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas. I live
in a small studio apartment, and they already have several small rubber bouncy
things which they like. The have a scratchy thing on a doorknob which has a
ringy thing on a string which they play with. They have a large cat tree which
they live in. I was thinking of either getting them a spongy little ball with
a feathery thing attached, which looks like fun. I also have a mouse on the
end of a string attached to a pole which I take out occassionally and torture
them with.I was also thinking of one of those round things with a scratching
post in the middle, which lies flat on the ground and has a track in which they
can push a ball endlessly around and around. It looks like it might be fun,
but I'm afraid the ball would make too much noise and keep me up at night. I
don't really have much room for another standing scratching thing with stuff
hanging off of it.

Of course, I could always just get them chocolate cake and milk. Any
suggestions out there. Small, not too noisy, not too expensive.

http://hometown.aol.com/borninthebronx/index.html
Old January 22nd 04, 01:16 PM
Suzie-Q

GovtLawyer wrote:

[...]

My only advice is to skip the chocolate cake. Chocolate can be
toxic to animals.

Happy birthday to Mickey and Daisy!

8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/

Old January 22nd 04, 06:55 PM
Jenny Torango

The one toy that our cats play with the most is what we call the "feather
rope" which we actually made. what we did is we got an eye hook (usually
used for hanging pictures up or to put a hook in to latch a gate). We got
two tennis shoe laces and tied them together to make one long rope(thick
white ones so the cats can really see them) we then attatched a feather to
the end of the rope. We put the eye hook in the door frame - the very top
center of the door (then we tied the rope to the eye hook so that the rope
hangs in the middle of the door and the feather sits just above the floor.
They go crazy for this toy. One of our cats spends time laying on her side
and swatting at it. Our younger kitty attacks it and bites it and grasps it
in her paws and bites it then gets a crazy look in her eye and bats it
around. We had another kitty (who passed away this last year) who would
really get it going and it would swing back and forth- sometimes when it
started swinging back towards her she would take off down the hall as if it
was chasing her!!!! then she'd run back down the hall and go through the
whole thing again. They like this toy much much better than any store
bought item. Just remember not to use any glue to attach the feather- we
just tie a bunch of knots in the rope to hold the feather and when the
little one plays with it, she sometimes pulls the feather out so we just put
it back and she continues her fun.

Have fun on their birthdays! Chocolate isn't good for dogs or cats...may I
suggest Angel food cake?

Old January 22nd 04, 10:26 PM
Ted Davis

On 22 Jan 2004 03:01:59 GMT, (GovtLawyer) wrote:

[...]

Rabbit's foot on the end of a long heavy string - you hold the string
and throw the rabbit's foot out for the cats to pounce on. Best get
several - the cats will eventually destroy them. Works best on a
slick floor. This is the only toy my cats will always play with.

T.E.D. )

Old January 23rd 04, 12:24 AM
GovtLawyer

[...]

Kinda reminds me of the things they had hanging on the scatch pad, which hangs
on the doorknob. They love it, and eventually managed to eat through the
elastic or just pull it off. Then, I let them play with it as a floor toy.
Good idea, thanks.