Tapozole dose increase?

Old August 25th 03, 08:53 AM

Default Tapozole dose increase?

Last summer my 13 year old cat, Sparky, began taking tapozole for
hyperthyroidism. Until a couple weeks ago he was doing fine. He had even
gained a pound or two,

Now he seems to be losing weight again. Appetite is about the same.
Is it ever necessary to increase the dose of tapozole? I wouldn't do
this unless the vet said to increase it, but I'm curious if anyone has
found it necessary to up the dosage?

Right now Sparky is taking 5 mg twice day.

JWR

Old August 25th 03, 02:36 PM
Gail

After a cat is stabilized on Tapazole, he/she should have a blood test every
6 months to check his thyroid level. My cat did need her Tapazole increased
one time. Please check with your vet.
Gail

Old August 25th 03, 04:40 PM
Cathy Friedmann

wrote in message
Last summer my 13 year old cat, Sparky, began taking tapozole for
hyperthyroidism. Until a couple weeks ago he was doing fine. He had even
gained a pound or two,

Now he seems to be losing weight again. Appetite is about the same.
Is it ever necessary to increase the dose of tapozole? I wouldn't do
this unless the vet said to increase it, but I'm curious if anyone has
found it necessary to up the dosage?

Right now Sparky is taking 5 mg twice day.

JWR

I suppose it's possible, although the adjusting of the dosage is more common
when it's first prescribed, to get it just right. In the meantime, Sparky
probably needs thyroid blood work to see where his levels are - if the
present dosage is doing its job. (Or perhaps it's upsetting his stomach, as
a side effect??) A vet appt.'s in order, at any rate, to get it
straightened out.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old August 25th 03, 05:47 PM
MacCandace

Right now Sparky is taking 5 mg twice day.

JWR

My 17 year old cat has had his dosage increased but he is on a far lower dose
than your cat. Cory takes 1/2 a tab a day of Tapazole 5mg. He used to only
take 1/2 tab every other day and 1/4 tab the other days. I don't know what the
side effects of a higher dose would be but I do know that Tapazole does make
some cats sick. In my cat's case, he also has kidney disease so it is best for
him to still have a slightly high thyroid level in order to mask the kidney
disease. I would certainly talk to your vet and he may have some options for
you. I have heard that Tapazole also comes as a cream that can be rubbed into
their ears and then they can tolerate a higher dosage.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

Old August 28th 03, 05:15 AM
MacCandace