Abandoned Kitten

Old October 14th 04, 08:20 PM
Dan Hoffman

Default Abandoned Kitten

I posted a couple months ago about my cat going to have a litter and
predicting what colors they would be. Well she had her litter, 3 B&Ws, 2
Brown and black tabbies, 1 gray and white, and 1 gray, light gray, and white
tabby.

Anyway, they are about 12 weeks now and all are healthy and that sort of
stuff. The mother is scheduled to be spayed tomorrow morning.

Well, it happened that last night a friend of my fathers called him saying
they had found an abandoned kitten. I told my father to tell them to bring
it over.

I thought I would be able to get my cat to take it and just delay the
spaying until it was weaned.

Well they got here. I would say the kitten cannot be more than a week old.
Still has closed eyes, very small ear nubs, an umbilical cord, and weighs
about 4 - 4.5oz

So, I tried to inroduce baby, my mom cat, to the kitten. At first when she
heard it crying she came running but when she saw it and realized it was not
one of hers, she turned and ran and hid. I tried a couple things, like
reintroducing them every couple hours, rubbing a rag on her kittens and then
rubbing it on the newborn to try and transfer some smell but nothing has
worked and Baby seems quite scared of it.

I have made it a nest with heat and it is eating quite readily from a bottle
of KMR but ideally if there is any way I would like to get Baby to take it
so that not only does it receive proper nurishment but it is also kept at
the right temperature and can learn feline social behaviour when it is old
enough.

For the sake of the kitten I am already willing to bottle feed it if that is
absolutely necessary. Are there any methods I can use to get Baby to accept
it or am I out of luck here?

Please reply to this on usenet as the email I have entered is not real so as
to avoid spam. Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Old October 15th 04, 02:25 AM
Wolf

Try putting some butter on it's head. Sometimes the mother will start
cleaning it off and then keep it with her own. It does work, it's been
tested.
news

Old October 16th 04, 01:30 AM
Enfilade

Also wrap it in cloth used to rub the other kittens, then rub it...so
it starts to smell like the other kittens. Can you keep this one in
with the other kittens or does Baby kick it out of the nest? You'll
have to be careful that Baby doesn't neglect her own kittens trying to
avoid this one...

Good luck

--Fil

Old October 17th 04, 05:55 AM
SooZy

[...]

Daniel are your 12 week old kittens still feeding from their Mum?

SooZy

Old October 29th 04, 11:18 AM
Gary

Hi Dan,

How is it going with the new kitten? Has it been accepted into the group
yet?

Thanks,

Gary.