Me-ew! Cat warns of gas leak, awarded

Old February 24th 12, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default Me-ew! Cat warns of gas leak, awarded

GREAT FALLS, Mont. - A 3-year-old cat credited with saving lives by tapping
its owner's nose with a paw to alert her of a gas leak has been awarded the
Purple Paw by the Great Falls Animal Foundation. Schnautzie received her
award Saturday at the foundation's annual Fur Ball.

Trudy Guy says Schnautzie was just 6 months old in 2007 when Guy awoke with
Schnautzie on her chest and a paw on her nose.

In checking the house she heard a roaring sound in the bathroom and found a
gas pipe outside the bathroom had broken above the shut-off valve.

She said responding firefighters told her the house could have blown up due
to the gas levels.

Old February 24th 12, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...
GREAT FALLS, Mont. - A 3-year-old cat credited with saving lives by
tapping its owner's nose with a paw to alert her of a gas leak has been
awarded the Purple Paw by the Great Falls Animal Foundation. Schnautzie
received her award Saturday at the foundation's annual Fur Ball.

Trudy Guy says Schnautzie was just 6 months old in 2007 when Guy awoke
with Schnautzie on her chest and a paw on her nose.

In checking the house she heard a roaring sound in the bathroom and found
a gas pipe outside the bathroom had broken above the shut-off valve.

She said responding firefighters told her the house could have blown up
due to the gas levels.

Aren't animals amazing?! I love hearing stories like this. And while I
would love to have a gas stove for cooking, this is one of the reasons I'm
grateful I have electric.

Jill

Old February 27th 12, 11:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

[cat alerts human to a gas leak]
Aren't animals amazing?! I love hearing stories like this. And
while I would love to have a gas stove for cooking, this is one
of the reasons I'm grateful I have electric.

Last time I read the figures, the major single cause of domestic
fires in the US was electrical faults. (In the UK we have better
electrical safety standards - and compensate by killing ourselves
in similar numbers by dropping lighted cigarettes).

You exit rather dramatically in a gas accident but there aren't
many of them.

Old February 27th 12, 01:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_4_]

On Feb 27, 11:19*am, Jack Campin wrote:
- and compensate by killing ourselves
in similar numbers by dropping lighted cigarettes).

Dave's sister died that way- dreadful thing to happen- as a smoker I
am very careful around that

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old February 27th 12, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Lesley wrote:
On Feb 27, 11:19 am, Jack Campin wrote:
- and compensate by killing ourselves
in similar numbers by dropping lighted cigarettes).

Dave's sister died that way- dreadful thing to happen- as a smoker I
am very careful around that

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Seems easier just not to smoke! (But of course I realize it's not all
that easy to kick an addiction.)
Old February 27th 12, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Feb 27, 11:22*am, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

Seems easier just not to smoke! *(But of course I realize it's not all5
that easy to kick an addiction.)

-Don't shout it from the rooftops yet but I have managed since the New
Year to cut my evil weed intake between 50-60%-

i'm not qutting just yet but I am cutting out those "bored/need some
fresh air/I always have a ciggy about this time" etc ones- it was
murder for a few days I had it at the back of my mind all the time but
now I am only going out for one when I'm climbing the walls- most of
the time I don't even notice it and I've managed not to do "catching
up"- basically if you saw me smoke you'd probably wonder why I bother
I inhale maybe 3 times, leave a stub so long tramps follow me for the
makings of 3-4 roll ups and if I spend more than a minute with one in
my hand I'm having a leisurely long smoke so when I first cut down I
was going out and inhaling more now I'm back to normal but not so
often

Old February 27th 12, 08:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Lesley wrote:

- and compensate by killing ourselves
in similar numbers by dropping lighted cigarettes).

Dave's sister died that way- dreadful thing to happen- as a smoker I
am very careful around that

Seems easier just not to smoke! (But of course I realize it's not all
that easy to kick an addiction.)

Don't cigarette fires usually happen because the person fell asleep and
dropped it (or it fell on the bed, etc)? It seems like even if you dropped
a cigarette or burning embers on something flammable while awake, you could
put the fire out before it spread. And even if you didn't succeed at that,
if you're able-bodied, you would probably be able to get out alive.

I worry more about people who drink heavily or do sedating drugs and then
pass out while smoking.

--
Joyce

Something you'll never hear an 8-year-old say:

"Nana, will you spit on your hankie and wipe the gravy off my face?"
Old February 27th 12, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

Lesley wrote:

- and compensate by killing ourselves
in similar numbers by dropping lighted cigarettes).

Dave's sister died that way- dreadful thing to happen- as a smoker I
am very careful around that

Seems easier just not to smoke! (But of course I realize it's not all
that easy to kick an addiction.)

Don't cigarette fires usually happen because the person fell asleep and
dropped it (or it fell on the bed, etc)? It seems like even if you dropped
a cigarette or burning embers on something flammable while awake, you could
put the fire out before it spread. And even if you didn't succeed at that,
if you're able-bodied, you would probably be able to get out alive.

I worry more about people who drink heavily or do sedating drugs and then
pass out while smoking.

By then it is usually too late to worry about them. This hjappened to a
neighbor some years back. Did it cure his wife of smoking? NO!. MLB
Old February 27th 12, 11:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Feb 27, 12:52*pm, Bastette wrote:

I worry more about people who drink heavily or do sedating drugs and then
pass out while smoking.

That's usually the cause (it was in Dave's sisters case she passed
out on the sofa with a cigarette in her hand) now I do like a beer of
an evening but I actually get more aware the nearer I am to bed time
and put my last cigarettes into empty beer cans then empty the ashtray

Old February 28th 12, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Don't cigarette fires usually happen because the person fell asleep
and dropped it (or it fell on the bed, etc)? [...]
I worry more about people who drink heavily or do sedating drugs and
then pass out while smoking.

The ones to worry about are their *children* (or elderly relatives
upstairs, or neighbours in the same tenement block...). The smoker
isn't always the one who dies.

I nearly got burned out of my flat by a neighbouring drunken smoker
once. He died, and if we'd been a bit further from the fire station
he could have taken anything up to 20 other people with him.