Advice needed for how best to handle new kitten.

Old July 21st 03, 04:34 PM
kaeli

Default Advice needed for how best to handle new kitten.

In article ,
enlightened us with...

Problem 1: A few weeks ago, I had an allergy test. I wanted to know
if I was allergic to cats, because, prior to just a few days ago, I
hadn't been around one for a long time, and remember having had some
allergic reactions that last time I was. Unfortunately, the test
returned a positive result for cat allergies. However, my allergist
said this could have been a "remembered allergy." Without going into
the detail about what that really means (in part, because I'm not sure
myself), she recommended that I take a cat or kitten home with me from
wherever for a few weeks, and see what happens. For the first two
days, I didn't have any reactions at all to my new kitty, but now, on
the third day, I'm sneezing, my eyes are watering, and my nose is
running. I never knew that an allergic reaction could be delayed, if,
in fact, my allergic reaction is to my new kitten. I can go back to
the allergist and obtain a prescription for Claritin, or some other
allergy medication, if need be, but I couldn't go to the allergist
each week for a shot, which could be the next step beyond allergy
medications. My question is, do allergy medications work at all for
people allergic to cats, or are shots virtually required for those who
want cats, but are allergic to them?

I am allergic to cats. I have 3. *g*
I take allergy medications when necessary, sniffle most of the time, and
keep everyone as clean as possible. The cats all get bathed once a
month, brushed twice a week, and wiped down with a damp cloth daily. I
vaccuum the rugs, furniture, and the cats' treehouse two to three times
a week.
I have never needed shots.
I have found the best allergy med to be simple Benadryl.

Problem 2: I can't keep my cat away from things around which he is
not supposed to be.

He's a baby.

For example, he loves to paw at the fish in my
fish tank. This isn't a problem, but when he claws at the cords to
the filter and heater, that is a problem. What worries me also is
that he wants to pounce on the hood of the aquarium. He's several
times tried to do this, but I've caught him each time. I'm afraid
that if I left him to roam the house while I'm at work, he'd jump on
the hood for certain. If he did, the hood would surely snap, and he'd
fall in the tank (the hood can withstand some pressure, such as my
kitty walking on it, but I'm fairly certain, it can't tolerate the
jolt of him jumping on it, from several feet away). He also chews at
my plants, despite my every attempt to keep him from doing so. For
these reasons, I left him in my room today, before leaving for work.
I left for him in the room a scratching post, toys, plenty of food and
water, and one of his kitty-litter boxes, but I feel really bad about
leaving him in there, until I arrive home from work. Is it cruel to
leave him in my room, while I'm at work (the room is fairly large, and
so are the connected closet and bathroom)?

It's not cruel for now, but you are better off giving him better things
to do so he learns how to behave. Otherwise, he'll be stuck in there
forever, and that would be cruel.
Does he have a nice big cat tree (with stuff hanging from it to play
with) to climb on? Does he have a good spot by the window so he can be
entertained by things outside? Do you leave the TV on for him (my cats
love Animal Planet)?
Spray bitter apple (available in the puppy section at most pet stores)
on anything you don't want him to play with. But make sure he has plenty
of cool things of his own, too.
If you don't want him to jump on the tank, put a chair there so he can
watch. He won't need to jump if he can see fine from the chair.
And do secure the tank just in case.
If you can't keep him away and the tank isn't too large to move, move
the tank into your room and let him have the rest of the house.
Don't forget to let him know you don't want him to bother the tank. A
loud clap of the hands or a squirt with water, then take him to his tree
and play with him and praise him.

Problem 3: I'm a bit of an insomniac, and have trouble sleeping, even
under perfect conditions. Therefore, when my kitten jumps around my
room after I turn in for the night, I really have a problem trying to
sleep! If I put him outside of my room, he meows, because he wants to
be in the room with me. I simply can't play with him, though, during
his primary play hours. Is there any thing at all that I can do to
simultaneously keep him happy, and allow me to sleep? I have a fully
furnished basement. Would it be cruel to put him down there with his
toys while I try to sleep? I don't know if he would just meow forever
if I did that, or just eventually forget about me and start playing.

If he bothers/wakes you, put him down there. But not before. That way,
he learns he gets stuck outside your room when he doesn't behave. A few
days should be all it takes for him to get the hint.
My parents did this with their cat and after two nights, he was very
careful not to wake them.
Me, I sleep like a log.

Problem 4: I'm only home for about 3 hours in the evening before I go
to bed. Is that enough time to spend with my kitten, or does he need
more attention?

Do you live alone?
You may consider getting another kitten for him. That would also solve
other problems with boredom and waking you.

Hope this helps.
Good luck with the new guy!

~kaeli~
Black holes were created when God divided by 0.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion
that life is serious.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old July 21st 03, 05:56 PM
Sandra Loosemore

(JR) writes:

My question is, do allergy medications work at all for
people allergic to cats, or are shots virtually required for those who
want cats, but are allergic to them?

My cat allergies are relatively mild so I can't advise you on the
medication issue, but there are things you can do to lessen your
exposure to the things you're allergic to. In my case, I live
entirely without carpeting or upholstered furniture, I vaccuum
frequently, I wash my bedding and the cover for the living room futon
frequently, I try to groom the cats regularly so they don't shed all
over the house, and I wash my hands after handling them. Having cats
forced me to make some lifestyle adjustments, but now I hardly notice
this stuff, and it seems like a good idea for other reasons. E.g.,
both of my cats are prone to hairballs. The regular combing helps
them with that, and for me it's certainly a lot easier to clean up cat
barf off a hardwood floor than carpeting. :-P

Problem 2: I can't keep my cat away from things around which he is
not supposed to be.

Problem 3: I'm a bit of an insomniac, and have trouble sleeping, even
under perfect conditions. Therefore, when my kitten jumps around my
room after I turn in for the night, I really have a problem trying to
sleep!

Problem 4: I'm only home for about 3 hours in the evening before I go
to bed. Is that enough time to spend with my kitten, or does he need
more attention?

Do you really want a cat? Generally, having a pet will make it
necessary for you to make some adjustments to your own lifestyle --
pet-proofing your home, spending time with your cat, getting some
benefit of companionship in return.

Just as a suggestion, adult cats are generally less of a nuisance than
kittens. They're not as over-energetic at inappropriate times, and
you can often tell a bit more about their personalities before you
adopt them, so that you won't bring home a total lap fungus when you
really want a low-maintenance independent type of cat, or vice versa.

-Sandra

Old July 21st 03, 08:24 PM
Doug Bashford

Sandra :

- Do you really want a cat?

That was my impression. Cat owners are of a certain
personality type. It might be best for all to find
the cat a new home while he's still a kitten and before
emotional bonds form.

Regarding the alergy, it's typical for there to be a delay
....you are getting sensitized to the alergin. I'm surprised
it happened so fast, it may get worse for a few weeks, then
much more slowly worse for a few years.
If your emotional ties can bear it, I suggest getting
rid of the cat. I think drugs and such are only for
people who have no other choice...perhaps a strong bond.
--Doug

-

Old July 22nd 03, 12:54 AM
Joe Canuck

JR wrote:

medications. My question is, do allergy medications work at all for
people allergic to cats, or are shots virtually required for those who
want cats, but are allergic to them?

Yes, Claritin works well for me. I take one tablet daily which allows to
me enjoy the company of my 2 year old longhaired Ragdoll cat.

I am allergic to cats. If I don't take the Claritin the sneezing,
running nose and eye problems start up. Taking the Claritin keeps these
problems at bay such that I feel completely normal.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Old July 22nd 03, 03:04 PM
JR

kaeli wrote in message . ..
[...]

Wow--thanks, Kaeli. You answered each question with great advice.
I'm sure I will put all of it to good use!

JR