"Widowed" cat will not stop crying

Old April 2nd 04, 08:40 AM
Arjun Ray

In , "Lotte"
wrote:

| About a year ago, through a series of bizarre events, a young male
| kitten came to live with us [...] then, through ANOTHER series of
| bizarre events, a young female came to live with us [...]

Heh. All of my cats were "unplanned" too: the first adopted me, and the
others came as (indirect) consequences of my work with ferals.

| [...] I have decided I will always have three (indoor, as opposed
| to the ferals I look after outdoors) cats. It's the perfect number.

I don't think there is a perfect number. When I had one cat (Scruffy),
getting another seemed like the right thing to do.

But the second cat (Sally) was not a companion - she was a "forced
socialization" case, a feral without a colony. Eventually I adopted her
out to the person who had originally wanted to take her.

The next one wasn't a cat, but a kitten (Phoenix). If we had done our
work properly and caught his mother early enough, he would never have
happened, but as usual things didn't go according to plan. We all but
killed him as a baby, and then left him too long in the streets. We
"owed" him. I took him, even though a kitten was probably the worst
choice for Scruffy who was by then confirmed to have CRF. It worked
well though, loner cat and loner kitten.

But then, it was clear that I needed another cat closer to Phoenix in
age. I had two potentials lined up, except, Lucas' case reached a
crisis. The person who had taken on his socialization gave up after two
months and decided to send him to a feral cat sanctuary. I took him on
the day he was to be shipped off.

Three became five when I got involved in stabilizing a colony at a local
church and found myself fostering (and socializing) two feral kittens.
I found a home for them (whew!) but then, a few months later, Marie came
to live with me - her guardian's circumstances changed drastically, and
the only job he could find was abroad.

So now I have four, and Phoenix finally has someone his own age in the
house. One thing they all have in common, though, is that each one of
them had walked into a trap set by me. (You trap 'em, you keep 'em??)

| Perhaps you could adopt a pair that would provide entertainement for
| your old girl,

That's a good idea, I think.
Old April 2nd 04, 05:35 PM
Sherry

Controlling the thyroid will usually bring the blood
pressure down, but if the high BP is related to kidney disease (also
common) there is a medication called Norvasc that will control it.

Megan

They give norvasc to cats, no joke? That's a very common med for humans with
high blood pressure/cardiac problems also.

Sherry

Old April 2nd 04, 06:00 PM

Sherry wrote:
They give norvasc to cats, no joke?
That's a very common med for humans
with high blood pressure/cardiac problems
also.

I believe there are one or two other drugs that have been used to treat
high BP in cats, but the research I've done and vet opinions I've heard
point to Norvasc as being by far the most effective and the drug of
choice for cats. I've known several cats that have been put on this drug
and it worked beautifully.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old April 8th 04, 09:36 AM
IBen Getiner

Subject: "Widowed" cat will not stop crying
From: (Mimi)
Date: 3/31/04 12:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Hi,

Until 2 months ago, I had 2 wonderful older cats. The 15 year old
male was finally put down when his cancer was too much for both of us.
My 17 year old spayed female cat, who has been left behind, now howls
deep gutteral meows on and off all day and night. I thought after a
few months it would improve, but it has not. I go to find her and she
will be sitting on the edge of the counter howling with all of her
might. I will pick her up and cuddle or take her back to bed, and she
will purr and be fine, but within an hour, she will be at it again.

I know she has been traumatized by losing her friend, but I just don't
know what else to do to console her. Does anyone have any
suggestions? Love and treats just doesn't seem to be working and I
have no interest in bringing another cat into the house as a
replacement. It is obvious she is miserable, and I hate to see my
sweetheart in so much pain.

Thanks in advance to all responders - I am at a loss.

The smart thing to do would be to get a new dog. One of those aggressive little
T****-zues or something like that. This would take your cat's mind off her
immediate grief and give her something new to think about
No, really ... that's just about the saddest thing I ever heard of. I don't
know what to say in these situations that would help...

IBen G.
Old April 8th 04, 09:36 AM
IBen Getiner