"speed bump" for cats?

Old September 28th 05, 06:06 PM

Default "speed bump" for cats?

I would like to leave my bedroom door open when I sleep. The hallway is
rather long and the kitties favorate activity is to chase each other in
and out of the bedroom at high speed.

I would like some ideas on how to slow them down, I really don't want
them to use the hallway/bedroom as a runway, and the galloping noise
wakes me up too. They can chase in the living room all they want.

I tried to make the door opening rather narrow but it didn't seem to
deter them from chasing and I don't want them to hit accidently
themselves either.

Some ideas of a "speed bump" would be good.

Old September 28th 05, 06:25 PM
Karen

Oh maaaan. You're no fun at all!! Well, obstacles won't help. That would be
More Fun. Maybe put a cat tree at the end of the hall furthest from your
bedroom to act as a lure?

oups.com...

Old September 28th 05, 06:58 PM

Well, it would be only when I am sleeping at night, I don't mind them
roaming my bedroom but 2 cats running full speed on a raised wooden
foundation at 4am is a little noisy for me!

Old September 28th 05, 07:03 PM
Topaz

wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, it would be only when I am sleeping at night, I don't mind them
roaming my bedroom but 2 cats running full speed on a raised wooden
foundation at 4am is a little noisy for me!

I really think you need to close your door, just while you are sleeping.
I also think it's great that your kitties have each other and are having
such a good time together. Also, do you have a hepa filter in your room?
I don't know how much it would help with the cats IN the room, but a
standard floor model Hepa like you can get for about $100 at Lowe's
not only keeps the air clean and dust free but makes a nice "white noise"
that drowns out noisy sounds and helps you sleep. I use one
when I have a house full of company over the holidays.

Old September 28th 05, 07:34 PM

I am considering closing the door as an option, I also wanted some air
circulation for myself. I have got a baby gate recently and maybe I
will experiment with that too.

The kitties are having lots of fun, infact my original kitten no longer
come and head butt me in my bed in early morning which I kind of miss
already. He is definitely paying more attention to his playmate than
to me, and I am kind of jealous really, I hope I am making the right
choice.

I recently got a HEPA filter, it is outside in the living room where
the cats spend most time, I figure the dender and dust fly mostly
there.

Old September 28th 05, 08:38 PM
cybercat

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am considering closing the door as an option, I also wanted some air
circulation for myself. I have got a baby gate recently and maybe I
will experiment with that too.

For circulation, if not a HEPA in the bedroom, consider a small
fan. My daughter sleeps more soundly when air circulates in the
room so I put a tabletop fan in her room.

The kitties are having lots of fun, infact my original kitten no longer
come and head butt me in my bed in early morning which I kind of miss
already. He is definitely paying more attention to his playmate than
to me, and I am kind of jealous really, I hope I am making the right
choice.

You are, I am sure. And this way, when you go out you need not
worry about your cats being lonely. Only cats can become too
dependant on their "owners."

I recently got a HEPA filter, it is outside in the living room where
the cats spend most time, I figure the dender and dust fly mostly
there.

Perhaps you can try it in the bedroom and see how you like it
and if it shuts out noise.

How old are your cats?

Old September 28th 05, 08:40 PM
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Topaz exclaimed (28-Sep-05 7:03 PM):
wrote in message
ups.com...

Well, it would be only when I am sleeping at night, I don't mind them
roaming my bedroom but 2 cats running full speed on a raised wooden
foundation at 4am is a little noisy for me!

I really think you need to close your door, just while you are sleeping.
I also think it's great that your kitties have each other and are having
such a good time together. Also, do you have a hepa filter in your room?
I don't know how much it would help with the cats IN the room, but a
standard floor model Hepa like you can get for about $100 at Lowe's
not only keeps the air clean and dust free but makes a nice "white noise"
that drowns out noisy sounds and helps you sleep. I use one
when I have a house full of company over the holidays.

I have a radio I got from Sharper Image which has 20 different
environmental noises. White Noise works great, as does Rain, for
masking out the sometimes noisy neighbors. Should work for pounding
kitty feet too

Alternately, you might try telling them "OUT!" and locking them out of
the bedroom each time they come charging in during the night. Might be
a few more interrupted nights sleep, but perhaps worth a try. Using
this method consistently, Meep has learned that waking us up during the
night, no matter how (she's very creative in inventing "I didn't mean to
wake you up, but since you are..." methods of waking us up), just gets
her banned from the bedroom.

I can't think of anything that would work as a 'speed bump' - like
another poster mentioned, it'd just be seen as a new challenge.

jmc
Old September 28th 05, 09:18 PM
PawsForThought

Some ideas of a "speed bump" would be good.

Earplugs, for you

Old September 29th 05, 01:56 AM
Rebecca Root

I agree with those that suggest an environmental sound maker. If it
were me, I wouldn't shut the door. For one thing, that might encourage
them to slide into it and make more noise. Also, I wouldn't want to
discourage them from sleeping near by. My experience is that the night
time habits of kittens change a lot over the first 6 months, so it's
worth it to wait for them to mature enough to sleep through the night.
I think it's a developmental thing, like with babies. As they mature
and get used to my habits, I get progressively better at sleeping with
their backgroung noise and motion, and somewhere at about 3-4 months
these two processes meet where I can sleep through the night with them
sleeping nearby and both of us coming and going in the night as we see
fit.

But then again, you might want to try a throw rug on the end of the
hall near your room. Either one that sticks pretty well, so that their
feet are muffled as they run by, or a very loose one that they can run
and slide on. Don't know which would be best.