Caring for a stray (2): Winter preparation

Old September 30th 05, 07:27 AM
Ajanta

whayface wrote:

: If you place 2 together inside each other you could put a sheet of plastic
: between the 2 and that way it would stay in place.

If I put two, I can add some heavy stuff between them to make the whole
thing somewhat heavy.
Old September 30th 05, 07:36 AM
-L.

Ajanta wrote:
whayface wrote:

: If you place 2 together inside each other you could put a sheet of plastic
: between the 2 and that way it would stay in place.

If I put two, I can add some heavy stuff between them to make the whole
thing somewhat heavy.

You can fill the space between them with sand (relatively inexpensive)
and then duct-tape the openings so it doesn't come out. That will be a
natural insulation.

-L.

Old October 1st 05, 03:02 PM
John F. Eldredge

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 07:59:54 GMT, Ajanta wrote:

Continuing about the stray/homeless cat I feed.

I live in Midwest and we will have temperatures down to 20's and wind
chills into single digits. I don't know what she did last winter.
Actually I don't know if she would even need my help this winter. But I
want to have some help for her on my porch should it be needed.

I would be most grateful to hear ideas from those of you who have
created warm corners to ferals.

I have been reading around and lurked in the ng's as well and this is
what I have so far:

Two styrofoam coolers, one inside other, a hole cut out for entry/exit,
a layer of blankets with the microwavable heating "frisbee" (forget the
name) under them. Do I need extra insulation between the walls? I can
even cover the entrance with hanging strips of plastic the way they
have in some grocery store freezers.

I have no building skills but this I can manage. It would also be
affordable enough and if she doesn't use it, well, I'll have no
regrets.

I have outlets available but am afraid of using electrical devices, of
causing a horrible harm with good intentions. However, if you have
experience with something that is absolutely catproof (in your
experience, not manufacturer's claim), I can consider it.

All comments and suggestions appreciated.

Don't forget to weight the shelter down with a few bricks or stones on
top, so that it won't blow over while unoccupied. Kitty might be less
likely to use the shelter if the wind keeps moving it around.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from