stressed-out cat

Old March 14th 04, 04:49 PM
B Keene

Default stressed-out cat

Being a two cat family for the past 17 years, we has to put our oldest cat
down ( after a long and giving life). Too fill the empty space, we adopted a
3 year old from the local SPCA.
This really stressed out our 12 year old female, to the point that she
wouldn't come out or eat. After one week we had to return the new cat,
hoping this would return things to normal......5 days later still no change,
still staying alone and not eating much ( also seems to be swallowing
frequently which is a new behaviour for her.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Old March 14th 04, 05:05 PM
MaryL

"B Keene" wrote in message
Being a two cat family for the past 17 years, we has to put our oldest cat
down ( after a long and giving life). Too fill the empty space, we adopted

3 year old from the local SPCA.
This really stressed out our 12 year old female, to the point that she
wouldn't come out or eat. After one week we had to return the new cat,
hoping this would return things to normal......5 days later still no

change,
still staying alone and not eating much ( also seems to be swallowing
frequently which is a new behaviour for her.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

You tried to introduce the cats *much* too quickly. If you ever decide to
adopt another cat, please ask for advice here first. There is a lot of
material available on how to successfully bring a new cat into the
household, but it takes time and patience -- you cannot simply put the two
cats together and expect it to work.

As to your current problem, I do think you should consult a vet. My guess
is that your cat is still undergoing stress induced by being confronted with
the new cat (and possibly the loss of the former companion cat). Frequent
swallowing can be a sign of stress, but it is important *first* to rule out
any medical problems because there are a variety health-related issues that
can be related to this sympton.

Also: Buy several feliway plug-in diffusers and position them around the
house. Feliway is used for behavior modification and can be very useful in
reducing stress. It is available in plug-in diffusers (with refills
available) and as a spray. I used the plug-ins when I brought a new cat into
my household and wanted to introduce him to my resident cat. The spray is
excellent for an occasional use, such as spraying the carrier about 20
minutes before you take your cat to the vet, but the plug-in diffuser is
better for long-term use because it releases premeasured doses. Refills can
be purchased for the dispenser. One bottle lasts a little more than a month.
I bought mine from ValleyVet (www.valleyvet.com). The last time I checked,
the diffuser plus one bottle of feliway sold for $24.95 ; the refill was
$14.95; and feliway spray was $15.95. Shipping is free. Be careful *not* to
order Feliway with D.A.P. because that formulation is for dogs. I have also
seen references to www.petguys.com. They had the plug-in dispenser and one
bottle on sale for $20.99 (but I haven't checked their site recently).

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old March 15th 04, 12:04 AM
---MIKE---

The "free" shipping is deceptive. On orders under $50 there is a $5.00
"packing" charge.

-MIKE

Old March 15th 04, 01:32 AM
MaryL

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
The "free" shipping is deceptive. On orders under $50 there is a $5.00
"packing" charge.

-MIKE

It has been awhile since I bought mine, but I just checked the inventory --
and there was no packing charge.

MaryL

Old March 15th 04, 01:34 AM
MaryL

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
The "free" shipping is deceptive. On orders under $50 there is a $5.00
"packing" charge.

-MIKE

It has been awhile since I bought mine, but I just checked the

inventory --
and there was no packing charge.

MaryL

Uh, oh, I responded too quickly. You said for orders "under $50.00," and my
order was above that (3 feliway plug-in diffusers and 3 refills).

MaryL

Old March 15th 04, 05:03 AM

Mike wrote:
The "free" shipping is deceptive.
On orders under $50 there is a $5.00
"packing" charge.

If you actually bothered to look you would see that free shipping is
offered on Feliway products and requires no minimum purchase. You can
buy *one* refill and the shipping is free.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old March 15th 04, 09:15 AM
IBen Getiner

"B Keene" wrote in message news:t205c.50884$Up2.14520@pd7tw1no...
Being a two cat family for the past 17 years, we has to put our oldest cat
down ( after a long and giving life). Too fill the empty space, we adopted a
3 year old from the local SPCA.
This really stressed out our 12 year old female, to the point that she
wouldn't come out or eat. After one week we had to return the new cat,
hoping this would return things to normal......5 days later still no change,
still staying alone and not eating much ( also seems to be swallowing
frequently which is a new behaviour for her.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

A good and decent try on your behalf has netted no results. Don't be
too down on yourself. We went thru the exact same thing a few years
back. The best thing we ever did (even though it was painful) was to
rid ourselevs of the newcomer. I had to make the decision ... before
the little lady got too attracted to her. But it was the best thing we
ever did, cat-wise. Our existing cat (a male) quickly returned to his
old self. I argued that not only should we have been concerned with
the new cat's well-being (what might have befallen her by putting her
back outside), but that we owed an equal something to our original
cat.. we owed him a NORMAL LIFE. Without all the bad-azzing and all
the fear (he was a wimp ... what can I say?).
Now, all as is as it was. And we have gained a good outside cat who
is there every day for us, waiting for us to come home (plus, we have
our boy back like he was before).

IBen G.
IBen G.
Old March 15th 04, 09:19 AM
IBen Getiner

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote in message ...
"B Keene" wrote in message
[...]

Your response is a joke. Who cares about this kind of krap...?

IBen G.
Old March 15th 04, 11:36 AM
---MIKE---

Sorry Megan, but you are wrong. I just recently bought some Feliway
from them and there WAS a $5.00 order processing charge. If you look on
page 33 of their catalog, you will see "ORDER PROCESSING CHARGE (if
order is under $50.00 add $5.00)".

-MIKE

Old March 15th 04, 02:47 PM
---MIKE---

When I first got Tiger (Sept 1999) he was 4 months old and I brought him
home and just let him out of the carrier. Amber (who was about 4 at the
time) retreated into a corner and refused to eat. After two days of
this, I took Tiger back to the shelter. Amber started to eat as soon as
I got back home. After four days, I picked Tiger up again but this time
I kept him in his own room for a couple of weeks. There were no more
problems. They are not best buddies but they do get along.

-MIKE