Interesting Behavior

Old May 15th 05, 08:09 AM
XeNO

Default Interesting Behavior

I have no clue as to why my cat does this. She doesn't do it very often
anymore but sometimes she'll curl into a ball, begin sucking/licking on
the tip of her tail while kneading the area right around it, while
purring loudly.

As best as I can tell she's predominantly silver tabby with some orange.

Aside from that she's incredibly smart and cuddly. Is this some kind of
behavior she maybe remembers from nursing?

Old May 15th 05, 04:11 PM
Adam

XeNO wrote:
I have no clue as to why my cat does this. She doesn't do it very often
anymore but sometimes she'll curl into a ball, begin sucking/licking on
the tip of her tail while kneading the area right around it, while
purring loudly.

As best as I can tell she's predominantly silver tabby with some orange.

Aside from that she's incredibly smart and cuddly. Is this some kind of
behavior she maybe remembers from nursing?

Yep, it's a remnant of nursing, and the official term is indeed
"kneading." I've known lots of cats, including grown cats, who do
exactly what you describe. It's been done to blankets, socks, other
cats, birthmarks on humans (ouch!), and all sorts of nipple-like things,
so using one's own tail makes as much sense as anything else. There are
a variety of nicknames for it, such as "happy paws," "making biscuits",
and so on. Again, this behavior is common and absolutely normal.

Adam
Old May 20th 05, 08:00 AM
XeNO

Adam wrote:
XeNO wrote:

[...]

Well, I had known about the kneading... that's always been common with
many cats I've lived with. It was this suckling on the tail I was
wondering about. It's great to know that this last part is not uncommon.