Diabetic cat, bladder infection

Old January 5th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Diabetic cat, bladder infection

I have a cat whom I love dearly. He is a 13 year old large tabby. He was
diagnosed yesterday with diabetes and a bladder infection. He has been
peeing all over the house. The vet suggests daily insulin shots and a course
of antibiotics for the infection. My question is this-at 13 years old,
failing health is it really worth it to keep him alive for another year or
two? Does anyone have any experience with a senior diabetic cat?
Old January 5th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Windsorcat" u17321@uwe wrote in message news:59e85ff2f4de4@uwe...
I have a cat whom I love dearly. He is a 13 year old large tabby. He was
diagnosed yesterday with diabetes and a bladder infection. He has been
peeing all over the house. The vet suggests daily insulin shots and a

course
of antibiotics for the infection. My question is this-at 13 years old,
failing health is it really worth it to keep him alive for another year or
two? Does anyone have any experience with a senior diabetic cat?

I think a 13 year old cat has years to go with proper care.
The UTI is easy to clear up, and you will become accustomed to doing the
daily injections. It is new and scary at first but there are mailing lists
and help/support sites available to you to help get you started.

I would not consider his health to be "failing" at this point. He has a
couple of medical issues- one easy to clear up and the other easy to manage.

Could be me- but they give so much in their younger easier years that I
don't mind going the extra distance when they enter the more difficult times
later on.

Of course if he is a burden to you and you are looking for an excuse, then
let your conscience be your guide.

--
Toni

Old January 5th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Our diabetic cat had some complications (teeth problems and
pancreatitius.} He lived only two years but he died died of cancer. The
diabetes was being successfully managed.

After his diagnosis, I subscribed to the message board on
www.felinediabetes.com. There are cats there that have lived up to 10
years with diabetes. A person I worked with had a cat for 6 years after
diagnosis.

Talk to the people on that message board, they are great.

While the bladder infection is treated, you might put your cat in one
room of the house. That helped us when we had a cat with that problem.

Take care,

Rhonda

Old January 6th 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I agree with Rhonda. I adopted a 15 year over a year and a half ago that
the previous owner did not want to treat. His FD is doing great. Most
kitties need 2 shots daily.

--
Larry - Owned by ten cats (five have FD)

Old January 6th 06, 12:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Windsorcat" u17321@uwe wrote in message news:59e85ff2f4de4@uwe...
I have a cat whom I love dearly. He is a 13 year old large tabby. He was
diagnosed yesterday with diabetes and a bladder infection. He has been
peeing all over the house. The vet suggests daily insulin shots and a
course
of antibiotics for the infection. My question is this-at 13 years old,
failing health is it really worth it to keep him alive for another year or
two? Does anyone have any experience with a senior diabetic cat?

Absolutely, it is worth giving your cat the medical attention he needs.
Diabetes is treatable! In fact, I have diabetes myself, and I was able to
bring it under control through diet and weight management -- and no longer
need to take any medication at all. With proper care, your cat could live
for many more years -- 13 really is not all that old any more. Many
diabetic cats can be brought back to complete health if you are willing to
learn the proper procedures (not difficult), and bladder infections (which
may cover a variety of problems) are very common. I suggest that you look
at this site concerning diabetes in cats:
http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/diabetes/

MaryL

MaryL

Old January 6th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Thanks for all your messages. After only 2 days of shots, my cat is doing
very well and I can tell he thanks us for helping him. The shots are not
that bad-the cat certainly doesn't mind them. He was playing and cuddling
last night just like he used to! Thanks again for all your helpful hints!

MaryL wrote:
I have a cat whom I love dearly. He is a 13 year old large tabby. He was
diagnosed yesterday with diabetes and a bladder infection. He has been

[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]

Old January 7th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Just one last thought: I kept a diabetic cat in good shape
for 5 1/2 years AFTER his diabetes diagnosis; the vet who
gave us that said most people simply don't want to do the
regimen (twice-daily shots, regular vet care, urine testing -
I understand they don't test urine these days, they test blood,
but am not sure) and simply euthanize their cat for that reason:
too much trouble. Your cat needs *regular* meals and *regular*
timed injections, but this is what I want to warn you: if you notice
him flopped around and not eating, OR odd neurological behavior
(twitching or head rolling) GET HIM TO VET IMMEDIATELY
and do NOT give him any insulin shots if he's missed one or more
feeding sessions. Diabetic cats (at least mine was) are subject to
a serious condition called pancreatitis which only vet can treat. During
the years after his diagnosis, my cat was treated for this twice and
recovered well. He lived to 10 1/2 years and is missed to this day.