(Way OT) Arachnophobia

Old May 31st 11, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Arachnophobia (No longer way OT)

wrote in message
Adrian wrote:

Lesley wrote:
I just walked into our living room just in front of the telly we have
a spaghetti junction of sundry leads and extension plugs etc for the
TV/PC/Video/DVD etc etc. I always make sure I switch it all off and
unlpug it from the mains before we go to bed...so what I don't want to
see is Sarsi in the middle of it turning boxes over and digging round
leads but she's being very persistent- there's something she wants
under something in there...so I turned over the box she was pawing at
and a hude spider shot out from under it and bolted behind the TV
stand! Sarsi was so obsessed with trying to turn the box over she
didn't even spot it notice her prey had vanished!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

(Who has just realised this means there's a large spider free in the
house....)

You still have a video? How quaint. Do you still use it?

Hey! I still have one, too. Also have a DVD player, but I use the
VCR for recording stuff to watch later. Why should I buy a digital
recorder when I have something that already works fine? I have
nothing against new technology, but I am cheap.

Joyce

I have a combo VCR/DVD player. I don't record stuff, but I had collected a
lot of videos over the years. The cost of replacing all of them with DVD's
would have been outrageous. I'm cheap, too So I have the best of both
worlds.

Jill

Old May 31st 11, 02:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default (Way OT) Arachnophobia

I can't understand why you are so upset. Non-poisonous spiders do an
important job in nature, and are usually unobtrusive while doing it. I
can see why your experience might freak you out, but why not just "invite"
the spider onto a piece of paper and put it outdoors? (You might have
saved yourself the experience of "a gazillion teeny tiny baby spiders", if
so, and allowed them to take up their duties outdoors were they belonged.)

Uh huh. What makes you think it would have sat there quietly on the piece
of paper after I dislodged it? And while I walked out of the kitchen,
through the dining room then through the living room to the door? I'm not
going to get into this with you. I'd only be upset if I wound up with a
hundred of them in my house. I did what I did and it's done. Period.

Jill

jmcquown wrote:
No, I'm not really afraid of spiders. Many spiders are beneficial. And
some, like the large black & yellow argiope spiders I had flanking my
patio a couple of years ago are strikingly beautiful.

snip

I don't really expect advice, I'm just venting and freaking out a little
bit at the thought of having to deal with this. I'm sure glad I sprayed
that "mama spider" this morning. If I hadn't I know I'd definitely have
been overrun with them. It's still creeping me out.

Jill

Old May 31st 11, 02:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Funnily enough, I used one today for the first time in years, to make a
DVD copy of a tape for my aunt.
--
Adrian
Old May 31st 11, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:
No, I'm not really afraid of spiders. Many spiders are beneficial. And
some, like the large black & yellow argiope spiders I had flanking my
patio a couple of years ago are strikingly beautiful.

snip

I don't really expect advice, I'm just venting and freaking out a little
bit at the thought of having to deal with this. I'm sure glad I sprayed
that "mama spider" this morning. If I hadn't I know I'd definitely have
been overrun with them. It's still creeping me out.

Jill

-----

That same thing happened to me last summer. I was in my bathroom looking
into the mirror. I saw about five or six tiny, tiny spiders dangling from
the ceiling above my head. When I looked up, there were baby spiders
*everywhere*!!! I mean at least 50 or so. I grabbed the vacuum right
quick. The good thing is, I live up north, so even the "mommy" spiders
aren't that big at all. But, since I'm moving back to Jax, FL, I better get
used to the larger spiders!! My rule is leave things alone outside. But if
you're in my house, it's my turf!! I'm not a fan of spiders, so my weapon
is the vacuum cleaner.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Laurie
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸ ·.·

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

Old May 31st 11, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"~*LiveLoveLaugh*~" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

[...]

I'll admit it never occurred to me to get the vacuum cleaner. I've been
cleaning up in preparation for John's visit so the vaccum cleaner was in the
den on the other side of the house. I don't LIKE killing spiders (Palmetto
bugs are a different story!) but I simply reacted and grabbed the bug spray.
BTW, in your situation, even using the vacuum cleaner hose, I'd need a
ladder to reach the 12 foot ceiling. When the lightbulbs in my bathrooms
burn out I'm going to have to call someone to replace them for me. LOL

Jill

Old May 31st 11, 04:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

[...]

Yeah, it frustrates me when I see them on the hall ceiling going down to my
basement. Even putting all attachments on my vacuum won't reach up there.
And triple UGH on palmetto bugs. I hate them!! It takes some getting used
to when you live in the deep south. One time I picked up the kitchen sponge
to do dishes and there sat a rather large scorpion. I knocked him in the
kitchen sink and turned on the hot water. See lizards again is gonna take
some getting used to. Not to mention the heat alone!! But I don't care!!
I'll deal with it all!! Just get me back down south where I belong!!
There's been a few delays, but finally the house goes on the market
tomorrow!! Bring on the big spiders... there's no match with my Dyson
vacuum!!!

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
Laurie
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸ ·.·

Old May 31st 11, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Adrian wrote:
Lesley wrote:
[...]

"Quaint" or not, I have a very extensive collection of VCR tapes (many
of which are not available in DVD form). How would you suggest I play
them, if I no longer had a VHS player? (You don't know how often I
regret getting rid of my old audio recordings and the necessary 78 player.)
Old May 31st 11, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

MLB wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Lesley wrote:
[...]

Quaint? I still have lots of video movies and they are better and more
interesting than the cr-- that is on the air presently.

.....And if they are classics, they may not even be AVAILABLE in DVD format!
Old May 31st 11, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Adrian wrote:
Lesley wrote:
[...]

+++++++
I stil have mine and the sound is superior to the newest "gadgets".
I don't use it often (a Magnavox) but it is there when and if I want it.
MLB
Old May 31st 11, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On May 31, 1:48*pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Lesley wrote:
[...]

We have a huge 8mm sound movie projector and camera. I had the reels
converted to vhs and later, DVD format, but DH will NOT let me get rid
of that thing. I seriously doubt we could even find replacement bulbs
for it. I could sure use the closet space.