Limp tail, no other symptoms

Old January 20th 04, 03:16 PM
A. Harrison

Default Limp tail, no other symptoms

Our kitty has had a limp tail (and seemingly no feeling in it) for
about five days but no other symptoms*. She does not seem to be in
any pain from this at all. We have taken her to the vet twice - he
cannot feel anything wrong with her tail, no lumps or anything (we
have not noticed any lumps or oddities in her tail either). Our vet
ran a #45 blood test, which showed an elevated muscle enzyme (he said
this enzyme usually only goes up due to some sort of trauma), and put
her on 1/2 baby aspirin a day. Yesterday was her second day of baby
aspirin, we are not seeing any improvement yet.

Anybody have any ideas? We are going to have X-rays done later this
week if there is still no improvement.

*When I say no other symptoms, I mean that she is eating, drinking,
using the litter box normally. She is not doing things that might be
attributed to loss of tail movement, i.e. taking large jumps. She is
spending a lot of time in the closet, but she is somewhat of a loner
kitty and if she is feeling uncertain, I don't think staying in the
closet would be unusual behavior for her. She's actually acting like
she is a little more comfortable with this as time goes on - this
morning she was hanging out at the foot of the bed. I think if she
were in pain she would still be hiding out.
Old January 20th 04, 04:25 PM
Annie Wxill

"A. Harrison" wrote in message
om...
.... Our vet
ran a #45 blood test, which showed an elevated muscle enzyme (he said
this enzyme usually only goes up due to some sort of trauma), and put
her on 1/2 baby aspirin a day. Yesterday was her second day of baby
aspirin, we are not seeing any improvement yet.

Hi A.
Are you sure that the vet said to give 1/2 baby aspirin a day? That seems
like a pretty big dose and too often.
Please double check on this.
Annie

Old January 20th 04, 05:02 PM

Our vet ran a #45 blood test, which
showed an elevated muscle enzyme (he
said this enzyme usually only goes up due
to some sort of trauma), and put her on
1/2 baby aspirin a day.

You need to call your vet immediately and clarify the dose. 1/2 of a
baby aspirin given every day is a toxic dose. Cats cannot tolerate
aspirin as well as dogs or people. Aspirin stays in the blood stream of
cats for a long time. Almost two days after giving aspirin, a cat will
still have half of it still circulating in his blood stream. If given
the dose usually given to people or dogs, aspirin will reach toxic
levels in the cat quite rapidly. If aspirin is prescribed for a cat, it
will generally be small doses (1/4 - 1/2 tablet of baby aspirin) given
once every *2-3* days.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old January 20th 04, 06:29 PM
A. Harrison

Oh, in addition -

She is strictly an indoor cat, but we have two other cats and a
dog...And this is the kitty that gets picked on most.
Old January 20th 04, 06:29 PM
A. Harrison

Old January 20th 04, 06:29 PM
A. Harrison

The Terrible Tail O J Cat anecdotes 9 August 9th 04 03:19 PM
The Terrible Tail Marina Cat anecdotes 25 May 15th 04 08:26 PM
Another cat tail Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 15 September 26th 03 08:16 PM