Ping Takayuki or Cantate

Old August 19th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Ping Takayuki or Cantate

Help! I have a question about Japanese, and I hope that either of you
(or anyone else who knows the language) can answer this.

I'm fixing a tech manual that was translated from Japanese to English.
I don't speak Japanese at all, but my job is to make sure the English
sounds natural. Anyway, there's some stuff in it about fetal ultrasounds.
It talks about calculating the number of gestational weeks and the
"expected date of confinement".

Date of *confinement*? I'm not sure how the translator came up with
that word. Could this mean the date of delivery?

Thanks,
Joyce
Old August 19th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

wrote in message
Help! I have a question about Japanese, and I hope that either of you
(or anyone else who knows the language) can answer this.

I'm fixing a tech manual that was translated from Japanese to English.
I don't speak Japanese at all, but my job is to make sure the English
sounds natural. Anyway, there's some stuff in it about fetal ultrasounds.
It talks about calculating the number of gestational weeks and the
"expected date of confinement".

Date of *confinement*? I'm not sure how the translator came up with
that word. Could this mean the date of delivery?

Thanks,
Joyce

That used to be the "polite term". Back when you couldn't use words like
pregnant.

see
http://tinyurl.com/h3lrf

Jo

Old August 19th 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jo Firey wrote:

That used to be the "polite term". Back when you couldn't use words like
pregnant.

I did a Google search on this and I discovered that "date of confinement"
is very much an English-language term. I have never heard it before, but
have always heard the due date called, well, the "due date". Or maybe
the date of delivery. Confinement? What do they *do* in those maternity
wards, anyway??

And apparently the old term is in use in medicine, so I guess "confinement"
is going to stay. It's even referred to as "EDC" (estimated date of
confinement), so I can't exactly change that.

I really thought this was just a faulty translation, that perhaps there
was a Japanese word that means both confinement and delivery or something,
and they chose the wrong English word.

Thanks!
Joyce
Old August 19th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Helen Wheels wrote:

This manual doesn't say "All your babe are belong to us", does it?

Sorry Helen, Mark Edwards beat you to that joke the other day!

It does say a lot of odd things, however.

Joyce, burning the 9:15PM oil
Old August 19th 06, 07:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-08-19, William Hamblen penned:

"Expected date of confinement", also "EDC", is real medical
terminology for the answer to the question, "When are you due?" MDs
know what it means.

I just want to know whose confinement they're talking about.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old August 19th 06, 07:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
sandra

Ok, response from a Brit here! Confinement is a term used for the time of
labour/delivery of a baby.
I think it stems from times long ago, when well to do women would be advised
by the doctor or midwife to take to their beds when birth was close. Most
likely, because in those days, women had not such a close idea of when
exactly the baby was due.

Of course, for the rest of the not so wealthy population, they just worked
until they popped!

sandra