YIKES!!!!! Not Your Ususal Monday Morning Before Work

Old October 27th 04, 05:16 PM
bonbon

Default YIKES!!!!! Not Your Ususal Monday Morning Before Work

Monday morning, I walked out the front door, down the short walk way
to the driveway to get my keys out of the ignition of the truck, and
truck, petting Big'Ead, who was on the walk way (Big'Ead is our
recently adopted recentl;y ex-tom, who still stays outside/in garage
until he starts taking his litter box more seriously) got to the
truck, and remembered I wanted to take my swim suit to work with me,
so I could take a dip in the pool after work. So I headed back to the
front door, again stopping to pet Big'Ead, who seemed more interested
in something next to the walk way than me petting him. I came back
out the front door with my swimsuit, locked the door, and there
Big'Ead was, even more interested in something next to the walk way,
so I decided, while bending to pat him on the head once more to glance
over at what this mysterious thing may be that he was so interested
in. And there, inches away from us was a full grown, adult Water
Moccasin aka Cotton Mouth Snake, poised and ready to strike. My heart
almost stopped I pretty sure. I immediately shoved Big'Ead away, and
screamed NO!!! at him, and he came right back, because, well, because
he's a cat, and he's a cat with an agenda. I slowly moved away from
the snake, that was literally inches away from me, and grabbed 'Ead,
and shoved him under the slightly propped open garage door, and
shouted NO!!!!! at him again.

I knew I couldn't leave for work with that snake and Big'Ead
interested in it, couldn't shut the garage door with 'Ead in there,
since it's Houston, Texas where I live and the heat would probably
kill him. So, I very carefully walked to the front door once more,
putting as much room as I had between myself and the snake, who didn't
miss a single movement from any direction by anything, and came back
out with the squirt bottle. Of course, there 'Ead was again, ready to
take a swat at the intruder, and I quickly, from the porch squirted
him with water, which didn't even phase him, until about the 10th
squirt. 'Ead went to the corner of the house, where he could still
watch, but out of reach of the squirt bottle, and I started squirting
the snake, trying to make it leave. Didn't work. The snake wasn't
going anywhere. So I reluctantly went back inside and came back out
with my 9 shot .22 revolver in one hand, the squirt bottle in the
other.

I again, for about what? the 6th time or so, walked past the snake,
who was getting more ****ed by the minute, because I wasn't even going
to shoot towards the neighbors house, even possibly hitting 'Ead if he
came around the corner of the house, So, with my left hand, I
squirted at Big'Ead, to keep him over by the garage door, and with the
pistol in my right, reluctantly, and nervously shot the snake. (I've
never shot a critter in my life, nor would I normally) The first
shot found it's target, but it didn't instantly kill the snake, so I
shot it again. Then had a neighbor come over and put it into the bed
of the truck.

I feel just terrible about all of this. It's certainly not the snakes
fault that it was born a venomous snake, but I could NOT go to work,
leaving Big'Ead there interested in it. I hope I did the right thing,
because I sure feel crappy.(

-bonbon
Old October 27th 04, 05:26 PM
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:16:19 GMT, bonbon yodeled:

Monday morning, I walked out the front door, down the short walk way
to the driveway to get my keys out of the ignition of the truck, and

YIKES indeed! I hope Big'Ead knows he's so well looked-after. Too
bad about the snake, I'd feel bad about it too, but you did the right
thing.

Pardon me, though, for giggling at the mental picture of you with the
gun in one hand, and the squirt bottle in the other.

Theresa

Old October 27th 04, 06:08 PM
Sherry

[...]

Yeah, you did the right thing. I know what you mean though, I hate to have to
kill any living creature. Very lucky that B'Ead didn't get bitten. Or you.
Also very scary that the snake ended up at your house....I naively thought they
stayed around water.
DH's sister was trudging through a pile of leaves couple weeks ago and stepped
on a copperhead, which was the same color of the leaves, she didn't see it. She
recovered okay, but was awfully sick for a while. Poisonous snakes are nothing
to take chances with.

Sherry

Sherry

Old October 27th 04, 06:21 PM
Yoj

You did the only thing you could do, and the fact that you feel bad
about it shows that you are a good person.

--
Joy

"You can never do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon it
will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson