Post-spay not eating?

Old September 4th 04, 05:20 PM
Darkchild

PawsForThought wrote:

Good to hear! Please let us know what the vet says and I hope Millie is
feeling better soon.

Took her to the vet who did the surgery as many vets near me aren't
working today because of the holiday.

Millie's temperature was high - they gave her fluids from an IV and a
shot of antibiotics. Apparently her uterus was infected when they spayed
her - I have no idea if that contributed to this.

I have to force feed her a/d for the next couple of days and pill her -
although I think I'll just mix the pill in with the food.

Brought her home to discover she had an accident in her carrier - she
peed on herself. I've tried to wipe her down with a damp cloth but it's
still quite a mess. I figure I'll give her a bit of time to rest and
then will try and bathe her? Or should I just continue to wipe her down?
She's fairly soaked through with urine in her hind quarters but I
figure she's traumatized enough without having a bath too. She resting
on a piece of plastic with newspaper underneath.

DC

Old September 4th 04, 06:16 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Darkchild at
wrote on 9/4/04 11:20AM:

PawsForThought wrote:

[...]

Poor baby!! I would try to keep wiping her down with a warm cloth. She has
just had quite the ordeal. The IV will help with her appetite. Sometimes,
dehydration from a fever alone can depress her appetite. Poor little girl.
I'm sure with the good care you are giving her, she will improve. Try force
feeding her water in the syringe too, so she keeps hydrated. Keep us posted.

Old September 4th 04, 07:14 PM
Mary

"Darkchild" wrote in message
..

Millie's temperature was high - they gave her fluids from an IV and a shot

of antibiotics. Apparently her uterus was infected when they spayed her - I
have no idea if that contributed to this.

Oh no, poor little girl.

I have to force feed her a/d for the next couple of days and pill her -

although I think I'll just mix the pill in with the food.

That sounds like a good idea. The less trauma the better.

Brought her home to discover she had an accident in her carrier - she

peed on herself. I've tried to wipe her down with a damp cloth but it's
still quite a mess. I figure I'll give her a bit of time to rest and then
will try and bathe her? Or should I just continue to wipe her down?

I would continue wiping her down gently, and bathe just her hindquarters as
soon as you think it is okay. Cats hate to be dirty, so this is probably
distressing her. I'm so sorry she has to have this terrible experience from
what should have been a fairly painless, routine procedure.

Old September 4th 04, 07:47 PM
PawsForThought

From: Karen Chuplis

Darkchild at
wrote on 9/4/04 11:20AM:

PawsForThought wrote:

[...]

{{{{Millie and you}}}} I'm so glad you took her to the vet and they discovered
what's wrong with her. I agree with Karen in that I would just keep wiping her
down and not bathe her at this point. I'm afraid the stress might shoot her
fever up. Keep us updated, ok?

Take care,
Lauren
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Declawing Info: http://www.wholecatjournal.com/articles/claws.htm
Old September 4th 04, 07:47 PM
PawsForThought

Old September 6th 04, 02:45 AM
Darkchild

Mary wrote:
"Darkchild" wrote in message

I have to force feed her a/d for the next couple of days and pill her -

although I think I'll just mix the pill in with the food.

That sounds like a good idea. The less trauma the better.

Actually pilling her was faily easy - force feeding not so much.

Brought her home to discover she had an accident in her carrier - she

peed on herself. I've tried to wipe her down with a damp cloth but it's
still quite a mess. I figure I'll give her a bit of time to rest and then
will try and bathe her? Or should I just continue to wipe her down?

I would continue wiping her down gently, and bathe just her hindquarters as
soon as you think it is okay. Cats hate to be dirty, so this is probably
distressing her.

I tried to bathe her today just because she's starting to reek - I got
most of one side done.

Force feeding continues but she is still showing no interest in food or
water. Or cleaning herself. She seemed more alert today but again I'm
not sure.

She peed herself again today - which surprised me since she had been
moving over to the litterbox. I guess she smelt the pee on her fur and
figured it was ok but now she's covered in pee again.

I've moved her to my bathroom - tile not carpet although I had had her
in my solarium so I could keep an eye on her.

I'm so sorry she has to have this terrible experience from
what should have been a fairly painless, routine procedure.

If you'll permit a vent - I'm feeling in over my head here. I'm alone,
and I've never so much as had a goldfish. I'm starting to wonder if I
can do this? I mean I love Millie very much but I guess I'm just feeling
really overwhelmed. I'm tired and I thought I was doing the right
thing. On top of that she hates me now and seems to have reverted back
to her feral instincts.

Sorry for the vent - I know all of this is part of being a responsible
pet owner - I'm not mad at her I just wish this was easier for both of us.

DC

Old September 6th 04, 03:33 AM
Mary

"Darkchild" wrote I tried to bathe her today
just because she's starting to reek - I got
most of one side done.

Force feeding continues but she is still showing no interest in food or
water. Or cleaning herself. She seemed more alert today but again I'm
not sure.

She peed herself again today - which surprised me since she had been
moving over to the litterbox. I guess she smelt the pee on her fur and
figured it was ok but now she's covered in pee again.

No, I don't think so. Something is really wrong. When does she see the
vet again? You mentioned that she has a vaginal infection, didn't you?
Her urinating cannot be voluntary. She needs to be seen again.

If you'll permit a vent - I'm feeling in over my head here. I'm alone,
and I've never so much as had a goldfish. I'm starting to wonder if I
can do this? I mean I love Millie very much but I guess I'm just feeling
really overwhelmed. I'm tired and I thought I was doing the right
thing. On top of that she hates me now and seems to have reverted back
to her feral instincts.

You just need to see a good vet. Can you make an appointment and
take her in and have them clean her too? She should not be incontinent.
I really hope you can take her in asap. You may want to let them keep
her for a couple of days, rehydrate her, feed her, and clean her up. As
for Millie, she doesn't hate you, she just feels bad. Let the professionals
handle this--just make sure you have a good vet who knows what he/she
is doing and cares. Keep ups posted.