Tucker weight loss update

Old October 11th 04, 08:41 PM
Rene

Default Tucker weight loss update

In case you haven't been following, I started Tucker on a new, canned
food only diet to help him lose weight. (Long story short, my vet gave
me poor information and he gained 5 pounds in 8 months!)

He's been on the diet almost 6 weeks and is doing great! He's lost 1
lb. 10 oz. so far! Initially, he lost a little more than expected b/c
of the new diet, but now he's losing a healthy 4 oz per week or so.
Last Friday was the first time I noticed his physique was a little
different (in a good way).

I'm so thrilled! We have a long way to go, but we're slowly getting
there. If anyone else is thinking of trying this, remember that you
_can_ do it! If Tucker can, any cat can!

A big thanks to Megan too for all of her (continuing) help! Stay tuned
for further updates.

Rene
Old October 11th 04, 09:50 PM
MaryL

"Rene" wrote in message
om...
In case you haven't been following, I started Tucker on a new, canned
food only diet to help him lose weight. (Long story short, my vet gave
me poor information and he gained 5 pounds in 8 months!)

He's been on the diet almost 6 weeks and is doing great! He's lost 1
lb. 10 oz. so far! Initially, he lost a little more than expected b/c
of the new diet, but now he's losing a healthy 4 oz per week or so.
Last Friday was the first time I noticed his physique was a little
different (in a good way).

I'm so thrilled! We have a long way to go, but we're slowly getting
there. If anyone else is thinking of trying this, remember that you
_can_ do it! If Tucker can, any cat can!

A big thanks to Megan too for all of her (continuing) help! Stay tuned
for further updates.

Rene

Fantastic! That's remarkable progress.

MaryL

Old October 11th 04, 11:05 PM
Mary

"Rene" wrote in message
om...
In case you haven't been following, I started Tucker on a new, canned food

only diet to help him lose weight.

Rene, what are the details? Quantities and so forth?

Old October 11th 04, 11:05 PM
Mary

om...

Old October 11th 04, 11:56 PM
blkcatgal

This is great news. What kind of canned food are you feeding and what is
the quantity? I have an overweight cat that I feed a combination of canned
and dried, about 50/50 ratio. Maybe I'll switch him over to all canned.

S.

om...

Old October 12th 04, 01:03 AM
Rob

The brand is Wellness. Megan is helping me as well . Rene is further
along than I am in getting the cats to cooperate. I think three of our
four are now doing fairly well on the switch over, the fourth is being
completely uncooperative so far. The quantity Megan recommended
is 15 calories per pound the cat has for a target weight per day, divided
up into two feedings 12 hours apart. So if cat A has a target weight of
10 lbs, you'd feed it 150 calories a day. A 5.5 oz can of Wellness
is 170 calories, so basically you give the cat about a 1/2 can per
feeding. Talk to her though before considering this, that's the
target, you'd probably feed them a bit more to start until they get
closer to their target weight. The food isn't cheap though, $0.80 to $1
per can, but hey, they're worth it .

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
This is great news. What kind of canned food are you feeding and what is
the quantity? I have an overweight cat that I feed a combination of
canned and dried, about 50/50 ratio. Maybe I'll switch him over to all
canned.

S.

om...

Old October 12th 04, 02:17 AM

Rob wrote:
The quantity Megan recommended is 15
calories per pound the cat has for a target
weight per day, divided up into two
feedings 12 hours apart. So if cat A has a
target weight of 10 lbs, you'd feed it 150
calories a day.

Hi Rob,
Let me make a small correction here as the above is not exactly
accurate, but does work in your situation. :-)
Basically, an indoor cat with an average activity level needs about 15
caloires per pound per day to maintain body weight. In order to drop
weight a reasonable cut in calories would be 30%. For a cat that only
needs to lose a little weight, feeding them the calorie requirement they
would need to maintain their target weight probably wouldn't even amount
to a 30% drop, so it's reasonable to use that number as the calories to
feed and will cause a nice slow weight loss. However, for cats that need
to lose quite a bit of weight, feeding what they would need to maintain
the target weight may be too drastic a cut in calories.

With Tucker, who originally needed 315 calories to maintain his weight,
we cut his calories by 30% to a little over 200. Now that he's dropped
some weight we've made another slight cutback to continue the weight
loss, but keep it *slow.* If we had fed what he needed to maintain his
target weight, his calorie intake would have been cut by over half which
is unhealthy and could put him at risk for developing hepatic lipidosis.
I hope this clarifies things better.

Also, if your one cat is not advancing in this as well as the other
cats, don't worry about it and just make sure she's eating enough of
whatever you can convince her to eat, even if it means more of the old
food or whatever else she'll eat and less of the healthier stuff for
now. Some cats take a lot more time than others to adjust to change, and
she'll come around eventually.:-) I have cats that took many months to
adjust! So far it sounds like you're doing pretty good for such a short
time. :-)

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke