Kitten temp 106.5

Old July 5th 03, 05:39 PM
Karen Chuplis

Default Kitten temp 106.5

in article , *~*SooZy*~* at
wrote on 7/5/03 7:16 AM:

Yesterday morning my kitten of 11 weeks was fine running about eating
drinking up till lunch time, he was completely his self. I went out for a
while, when I came back he was sitting on the chair, shivering, he felt very
warm, I could not get any response out of him so I took him straight to the
vet he had a temperature of 106.5!!!!! my vet had never recorded such a high
temperature in a cat...
cat runs between 37.8 degrees C (or 100 degrees F) and 39.2 degrees C (or
102.5 degrees F).
she gave him a couple of injections to lower his temp. and some Rehydration
support to make up and prescription food to take home. She said we would of
lost him if I hadn't of brought him in so quickly!
after 2 hours his temp dropped and I fed him the rehydration drink every
hour with a syringe, then he started playing eating as if nothing was
wrong.... took him back to the vet 9:00 this morning and his temp was 101.5
completely fine....

My vet didn't really know what brought it on, anyone in here very
experienced anything like this? we wondered if he had a shock! I do smear
Vic Vapour rub on all my electrical leads, and use antimate in areas I don't
want him to go but maybe I missed a lead out! really don't know what it
could of been, any ideas?

That is VERY high. I don't know of any specific causes but I do know that
various fevers can strike with no known cause. I'd just keep an eye on him.
Glad he seems fine now. Has he had shots recently?

Karen

Old July 5th 03, 06:04 PM
*~*SooZy*~*

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
in article , *~*SooZy*~* at
wrote on 7/5/03 7:16 AM:

[...]

no not yet as we only got him on the 26th June, we wanted to settle him in
first as advised by my vet and breeder, he is only 11 weeks now, He was
going to have his shots this Monday, but vet said now to leave it till the
end of the week before we give them, the breeder where we got him from cats
are all fully inoculated and FeLV/FIV free so is my other cat, we had her
blood test done just before we got him.

He is still fine playing and eating well, temp normal just taken it. Very
strange the way it came and went! I am so glad he is better, you don't
realise how quickly you fall in love with your pets until something like
that happens!

Old July 6th 03, 02:36 PM
*~*SooZy*~*

"pcb" wrote in message
Is it at all possible that he came in contact with something poisonous?
Maybe cleaning products or insecticides? Last summer one of our cats
had such a high fever that she could barely walk, her whole body
stiffened up. We later found out that the garden area in the housing
complex had been sprayed with insecticide. The vet thought this
could've brought on the fever.

pcb

Not that I am aware of.... I am really careful to lock stuff away, as I also
have a 4 years old daughter, I check what I use to clean the floors with, as
I know most disinfectants etc are poisonous to cats. I always make sure the
floors are dry before I let the cats back in each room.
We do not have carpets.
But I will be more aware in future what I use, just in case its something I
had just not thought about before.

Thank you for your suggestion pcb

soozy

Old July 7th 03, 05:37 PM
*~*SooZy*~*

"Yngver" wrote in message
"*~*SooZy*~*" wrote:

My vet didn't really know what brought it on, anyone in here very
experienced anything like this? we wondered if he had a shock! I do

smear
Vic Vapour rub on all my electrical leads, and use antimate in areas I

don't
want him to go but maybe I missed a lead out! really don't know what it
could of been, any ideas?

Yes, I've experienced this and want to advise you not to worry too much.

You'll
probably never find out what caused it. Fevers of unknown origin (FUO) are

not
uncommon in kittens. Like yours, our kitten of 5 months age was her usual

self
one morning, and by afternoon was sitting hunched up with her chin on the

floor
as though she didn't even have the strength to pick her head up. I

recognized
the signs of fever and we rushed her to the emergency vet (this stuff

always
happens on a Sunday). She had a temp of 105. However, after an injection

of
antibiotics and some fluids, she perked up and within a few hours was

playing
again. The vet could find no apparent cause of her fever. She said it

could
have been a bite wound from playing with our other cat, but we never found

any
wound, and it was unlikely anyway because they never played that hard.

oh thank you its good to hear someone else's pet has experienced something
similar (not that I wish it on any pet) he has been fine ever since
--
Luv 'n stuff
*~*SooZy*~*

Guest Cat & Kitten LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 10th 04 02:08 PM
Purrs for sick kitten, please Magic Mood JeepĀ© Cat anecdotes 46 May 9th 04 03:00 AM
Gem the Gray Kitten (long) Annie Benson-Lennaman Cat anecdotes 21 August 25th 03 01:02 AM