High WBC, vet no help - need answers fast...

Old July 10th 03, 03:51 AM
MacCandace

So, how is Tuttan today after seeing his regular vet? It can sometimes take a
few days for the antibiotics to kick in so if they remain stable, it's
understandable. If they get worse once they're on abx, then they definitely
should go back to the vet.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

Old July 10th 03, 04:52 AM
MK

Sure they will. I guess the point I was making is that the information
shouldn't be withheld from the owner. If they want the raw info, then
that's OK, otherwise they should be told the doctor will call them as soon
as s/he can and not just be stonewalled. That's sort of rude and just not
necessary. I don't know what the deal is in this case.

MK DVM

"Yngver" wrote in message
MK" wrote:

I don't know why they are being so coy with the result. Personally, I
wouldn't have much problem with a technician or receptionist reading you

the
result or faxing it to you. They are your medical records. The thing I
wouldn't want them doing is trying to offer any interpretation over the
phone, in my case they simply aren't qualified to do so.

Yes, but aren't most people going to ask questions about the results,

which the
vet tech/receptionist isn't qualified to answer? Most people won't have

any
idea what the results mean without an interpretation.

I've had receptionists read me the results if I insist, but the minute I

say
"is that good or bad?" they say I have to talk to the doctor. I think if

it's
something simple--like positive or negative--it's fine for the

receptionist to
tell you but if we're talking about a CBC, I can see why they would want

the
vet to give the results.

Most emergency clinics fax a copy of the record to your regular

veterinarian
automatically, so they may have it already.

The WBC count may or may not mean much, depending on how high it was.

I'm
guessing that if they got a WBC count they probably got a PCV with that,

so
hopefully if the cat was anemic that would have been addressed.

Old July 10th 03, 06:06 AM
Christine

Well, the diagnosis is in, and it's not very pretty. Pancreatitis,
and it's pretty advanced. IF he beats it he will have a good chance
at a full recovery, but it is very touch-and-go right now. He keeps
leaking fluids into his chest and abdominal cavity, and is having
trouble maintaining his body temperature on his own. Managing the
symptoms is what they mostly do, until the cat gets through it (or
doesn't). Note to self: just because blood tests are normal one day
doesn't mean they'll be normal the next day. Two days after the first
set of blood tests, his electrolytes were all out of whack.
Ultrasound detected the fact that the fluid was gathering around his
pancreas, which is what pretty much clinches it. We're hoping for
some good news tomorrow....

Regarding the emergency vet place:
This place is apparently so compartmentalized and clannish and
defensive, that they're afraid that if ANYONE is calling them on the
phone, someone's going to get blamed for something, and they just
don't want it to be THEM. Here is a sample phone call:
Me: I called to request that Tuttan's medical records to the regular
vet's office, and I keep getting faxed from your office to my home
phone, and I don't have a fax machine.
Desk person: All I can say is that this is the number that I was
given, xxx-xxx-xxxx so if that's not the vet's number, I don't know
what to say...
Me: No, that IS the right number, it's just that that's not the number
that they're faxing to.
DP: Well, I don't know, I have no control over what they do.
Me (in my head): Um, yes, you do. You have the freaking phone number!
Give it to them! Call them and tell them they're faxing to the wrong
place! Or, transfer me to their extension and let ME tell them! I
don't care! But trying to fax this to me at home is just NOT going to
work!

Even if I had known that it was my job to ask for the "medical
records" department, I wouldn't have had any success there, either.
Here was that conversation:
Them: I just finished faxing itto the regular vet, so if they haven't
got it, I don't know what to say. I have a completed fax transmittal
sheet here.
Me: No, no, if you have that I'm sure you're right, I'm sure they got
it. But something is still trying to fax to me at my home number.
Them: This is the only fax machine that's working. But it wasn't me.
Me: I think there's a whole nother fax job that is maybe just retrying
itself?
Them: I don't know who that would be, because it's not me.
Me: well, could you find out? Because this is the fourth call I've
had this morning and it's really annoying.
Them: I suppose I could ask around.
Me (in my head): Ya think??? Because I sure can't do it, from here!

Old July 11th 03, 05:46 AM
Christine

I'm sorry to report that we had to put our sweet Tuttan to sleep
today. After five days of lethargy/depression/shock with pretty much
no progress, it wasn't fair to make him linger any longer. He went
very quickly. He will be terribly missed, as he was such an
affectionate sort. Pet your pets today, before it's too late...

Christine and Tuttan (in spirit)