"Best by" dates

Old July 12th 04, 09:17 PM
Cat Protector

The problem we have on this group is you get labled the bad guy if you don't
feed your cats the same food as some of the others on this group. Never mind
if your cats are healthy, well cared for or even well loved. Some of the
bullies on this group simply can't accept that you feed your cats foods that
they don't. People like Lauren say "put your ego aside" when it is not about
ego. Forgive me if I don't join your crusade against others who may feed
their cats food that you wouldn't feed yours. My cats are just fine with the
diet they are on. Even the vet says they are healthy and has no problem with
my feeding them their normal cat food. Their quality of life is very good
and they are happy.

www.panthertekit.com

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"dgk" wrote in message
It's not about you. It's about feeding your cats a good diet. Why don't

you
put your ego aside, and try feeding your kitties a higher quality food.

I know
you love your cats and want to do the very best you can for them.

Lauren

I'm trying to feed my cats a high quality diet and they simply walk
away. I'm finally going to get a chance to try some Petguard Premium
Feast which some kind soul recommended last week. But frankly, if they
won't eat that, then I'm going to try Friskees or 9 Lives. Several of
my friends have reasonably elderly cats (15 up to 20) that have eaten
that **** all their lives. Me, I fed my previous four cats good food
(they were a LOT less picky than the current generation) and only one
lived to 16. Two died by the age of 10, one from Heart Disease and the
other from Diabetes. This is just anecdotal of course, but I am really
getting ****ed off throwing away expensive food after getting that
look from the boys."What, you expect us to eat this crap?"

And it isn't like I've been offering them the real crap. For all I
know they're going to turn it down also (they have all the dry food
they want, which IS Science Diet or Eukanuba or Nutra or something -
that stuff they eat).

Let's say that quality food extends my cats lives by 6 months. That is
significant when you only live 18 years or so at a maxiumum. Still, if
they really enjoy McDonalds and they hate Quality Nutrition, should I
deny them that their whole lives? What is quality of life if not
enjoying food? It isn't like they have sex. Hmm. Come to think of it,
I should start eating at McDonalds.

(I haven't eaten at McDonalds or Burger King since 1970).

Old July 12th 04, 09:19 PM
Cat Protector

Karen,

It is all about choice. Just like us, cats can choose not to eat certain
foods. I brought home a bag of Iams once and my cats wouldn't even touch it.
Right now they get Special Kitty and Friskies canned and they love it.

www.panthertekit.com

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"Karen" wrote in message
I threw away a LOT of food until I got to Petguard. The three flavors my
picky eaters like are Premium Feast, Chicken Stew lite, Turkey Lite with
Barley, and Beef w/Barley. Still, I have seen starving strays turn away

from
9 lives which makes me wonder what is in THAT!

Old July 12th 04, 09:34 PM
kaeli

In article knCIc.69045$rn1.6186@okepread07,
enlightened us with...
Karen,

It is all about choice. Just like us, cats can choose not to eat certain
foods. I brought home a bag of Iams once and my cats wouldn't even touch it.
Right now they get Special Kitty and Friskies canned and they love it.

So, if your kid refuses to eat anything but McDonalds, do you just let
them do that, or do you figure that when they get hungry enough, they'll
eat their veggies? Or maybe they prefer corn instead of broccoli.

My cats don't like SD or IAMS either, but they *will* eat Royal Canin,
Purina One, Purina Pro Plan, and Nutro. They usually get RC or PP.
Sometimes they get PO or Nutro as a treat. Very occasionally they get
their favorite crap, which is that "kibbles and bits" for cats junk (I
forget the name).

Compromise. Don't just settle for utter junk. My cats get Fancy Feast,
too, but they also get higher-quality dry food. They only get so much
junk. Just like children. You don't let your kids fill up on ice cream
and candy every day, do you? I don't let my cats fill up on crap any
more than I would let my kids do so (well, if I HAD any kids *LOL*).
They get the FF, but not enough to fill them up. If they're still hungry
(and they will be), they have the high-quality there to eat.

If you love something, you do what's best for them. That includes
discipline and a proper diet as well as all the fun stuff.

~kaeli~
Those who jump off a bridge in Paris... are in Seine.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old July 12th 04, 09:39 PM

dgk wrote:

And it isn't like I've been offering them
the real crap. For all I know they're going
to turn it down also (they have all the dry
food they want, which IS Science Diet or
Eukanuba or Nutra or something - that
stuff they eat).

This is your problem right here and a mistake many people make. When
cats have food available all day and are constantly snacking, it doesn't
make much difference what other food you offer them, they likely won't
care to eat much, if any at all. Ideally you should feed your cats a
variety of canned foods on a schedule (every 12 hours is optimal) and
don't leave food out in between. Not only is it healther for them, but
it changes their attitude towards food and they learn to understand that
it's "now or 12 hours from now." It is also wise to feed scheduled meals
because it lessens the likelihood of the cat overeating and getting fat,
and also will make you aware of illness faster as you'll know exactly
when and how much you cat is eating and will quickly notice if it goes
off of its food. Most cases of hepatic lipidosis develop because the
cats are free fed and it is *days* before an issue is noticed.
Sure, leaving dry food out is convenient *for the owner,* but there is a
much larger price to pay for that convenience that, AFAIC, makes it not
even remotely worthwhile.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old July 12th 04, 10:52 PM
KellyH

--

So you tried to feed them Iams *once* and they wouldn't eat it. Did you
ever try anything else? Believe it or not CP, I, and I'm sure others on
here, CARE about your cats. I just don't understand how someone who always
wants to do the best for their cats can't even spend a little more money to
feed them quality food. I don't care if it's the same brand as the food I
feed, just something that isn't crap. Like I said before, at the shelter,
where every donation counts, we won't even keep Special Kitty or other
store-brand food. It goes for feral trap bait. We do keep Fancy Feast
because every so often we get a cat that will only eat that. Sometimes I
think they put crack in FF.
It's one thing if your cats absolutely refuse to eat anything else, but it's
another if you don't even try. One of the things that won me over about
Wellness canned food is the way it smells. It doesn't stink! Also, the
ingredients are human-grade and there is no by-product of anything. Have
you ever wondered what a by-product is? That means the crap that is left
over from processing every usable morsel of the cow or chicken. And when it
says "meat" by-products, uh, can we be more specific? What type of meat?
I'll probably be opening up a whole can of worms with this one, but I've
never found a satisfactory answer one way or the other about rendered pets
in commercial pet food. So, I tend to err on the side of caution and I'll
stick with a cat food that I'm certain has no renderings in it.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old July 13th 04, 01:23 AM
dgk

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:39:13 -0500, wrote:

dgk wrote:

[...]

That's an interesting point and I thank you. But I've read elsewhere
that it is a good idea to leave out dry food and let them snack since
many small meals is preferable to a few large ones. Every time I learn
something someone comes along and reverses it.

It isn't like they're eating crappy dry food. Ok, I'm open to
suggestions. Dry food as desired or make them eat the wet food 12
hours apart.

One more thing. Jackie (the new old girl) is supposed to eat many
small meals around the clock since she needs to gain weight but has
diarrhea and shouldn't eat a lot at one time. That is the doctor's
orders. Of course, I don't think she eats much of the dry stuff at
all. I never see her do so and I suspect her teeth and gums don't
really allow it, thus it may be a red herring. Still, that makes it
very difficult to leave food out for her and not for the others.

Oh well, who said it would be easy.