Cats alone... how long?

Old April 14th 04, 09:19 AM
Tim May

In article Jg4fc.1$RP4.0@newsfe1-win, Gee wrote:

"Tim May" wrote in message
In article , Ablang
wrote:

I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s)

alone
when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
(automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).

I left two cats alone for 8 days.

Tim, surely you have some neighbours who could pop in and give your cats
some attention at least every couple of days, then you can return the favor
as and when they need it.

You think I would allow some neighbor or nosy friend to root through my
house, finding diaries, guns, videos, whatever? I see how nosy people
are as they check my bookshelves even when I am in the same room with
them.

Anyone who has watched the covert videos of nannies, maids, etc. has
seen them rooting through drawers, wandering curiously around, etc.

My house has a lot of valuable things in it, and only some fraction are
locked in the gun vault.

So, no, I don't let strangers or even family members have free run of
my house when I am not around...I would hate to check the time-delay
camera and then have to kill them.

8 days is really too dangerous to leave them
alone. What if there was a gas leak, or flood, or break in, or one of them
accidently got hurt badly/something fall on them, or they run out of food or
I dunno, just simply flat runs out of Oxygen.

"What would happen if a _meteor_ hit?

They would die. It happens.

But the odds of all such things are nearly zero. (And having a neighbor
visit every day or two doesn't fix most of the things you
described--break-in, things falling on them, accident, gas leak, etc.)

As for running out of food and water, I already described the two large
bowls of each, plust the toilet seats up. Ain't gonna be no cat
skeletons even if they ran out of food. Get with the math, man!

As soon as I moved in here, I
befriended all neighbours with cats and dogs, and ever since I not only have
help in looking after them when we go away, but also have new friends as
well. It's amazing how easily cat/dog people bond.

Your choice. I don't want neighbors rooting through my stuff. I don't
want them calling the cops when they find drugs or assault rifles.

(Killing a neighbor for snooping would be bad enough, but having to
fight the cops when I get home would be infinitely more dangerous.
People are snoops. Watch the video tapes.)

I really think you were quite lucky this time. As wonderfull as your cats
are, and as much effort you make, there are things that could happen beyond
our control. Please reconsider some basic supervision next time.

Stop acting as a catlover cop. I answered the person's question...I
don't need lectures from ****heads like you.

--Tim May
Old April 14th 04, 10:49 AM
Kristine Kochanski

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:48:24 +0000 (UTC), Ablang
wrote:

I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
(automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).

What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?

I would never leave my cats for more than 6 hours. More than overnight
trapped inside a house is tantamount to abuse IMO. Flame me if you
will but that's my belief.

Old April 14th 04, 01:12 PM
Agua Girl

wrote:

I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
(automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).

What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?

I would never leave my cats for more than 6 hours. More than overnight
trapped inside a house is tantamount to abuse IMO. Flame me if you
will but that's my belief.

How do you work? I have to leave for at least 10 hours every day
and don't even consider it leaving her alone.
I guess to each their own. Of course I live in a 1,700 sq foot house
so it's hardly "confining" to the cat.

AG

Old April 14th 04, 01:13 PM
Agua Girl

"Ablang" wrote in message
I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
(automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).

What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?

A weekend, although if it's a full weekend I usually ask a neighbor
to check in. I will leave her for a day and a night without
having anyone look in.

AG

Old April 14th 04, 04:20 PM
Kristine Kochanski

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 05:12:14 -0700, "Agua Girl"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I was wondering... How long has anyone here left their cat(s) alone
when going on a short vacation, with everything taken care of, of course
(automatic pet feeder, plenty of water, lots of litterboxes out, etc).

What's the longest you've left your cat(s) alone, and what extra
things did you put out to make it easier on both of you?

I would never leave my cats for more than 6 hours. More than overnight
trapped inside a house is tantamount to abuse IMO. Flame me if you
will but that's my belief.

How do you work?

I have a home office. I doubt I'd have all my cats if it meant leaving
them all day every day. One would be fine and would disappear up to
her bed for a snooze, the other two would cry all day (they cry when
they think they're alone so they must do it when I'm out too).
Although, like everythign else, I dare say they'd get used to it. I'd
just feel guilty.

The main reason I think it's important for me to be around is probably
the fact I'm on constant litter patrol - they will not do their
business if someone else has been there first so I go around checking
the trays every couple of hours. I always seem to have a nappy sack in
one hand and a scoop in the other...

Old April 14th 04, 04:54 PM
Tracy

Kristine Kochanski wrote in message . ..

I would never leave my cats for more than 6 hours. More than overnight
trapped inside a house is tantamount to abuse IMO. Flame me if you
will but that's my belief.

I'm not flaming. I'm just asking. You never go out for more than six
hours at a time? How do you work that?