Still convincing Buster

Old December 16th 03, 03:44 AM
Victor Martinez

Default Still convincing Buster

Mark Edwards wrote:
Any ideas? I'm really concerned for him.

I'm not sure what to suggest. Do you think you could train him to walk
on a leash?

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old December 16th 03, 04:35 AM
Marina

"Mark Edwards" wrote

snip

http://home.comcast.net/~Mark-Edwards/cats5.htm

snip

I see Buster wears his fangs outside, like Frank does. I call Frank my
little Sabretooth. Sorry I can't help with Buster's wanderlust. Purrs that
he calms down.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old December 16th 03, 10:02 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:35:06 GMT, Mark Edwards
wrote:

Hmmmm. Buster is acting like he doesn't want to be completely adopted.

He wanted out Saturday morning, so I let him out. He stayed out most
of the day, until I went to the grocery store.

Then I heard him meowing from across the parking lot of the apartment
complex, where he was lying down under a car. I called him, and he
meowed. I meowed back at him, while he ran as fast as his little legs
would carry him. I'd meow, he'd meow back. The whole way to me.

Neighbors must think I'm crazy (grin).

I brought him in the house, and calmed him down, while he cuddled
close and purred. I headed for the door to go back out, and he
followed me around, and eventually to the door.

Senyah said that he went frantic about wanting to go out, when I left,
so she let him back out.

Later that night, just before going to bed late, I looked for him, and
he came running in. But he went straight to the door and started
crying to go back out again.

So I let him back out again, and he wandered off around the corner.
Man, I hope Timmy isn't down the well, somewhere...

He stayed gone all day Sunday, and most of the day today (still home
sick, btw). Senyah woke me up around noon to let me know that Buster
is back. The first thing he did was find a comfortable place on the
dresser to lay down.

Pictures at:

http://home.comcast.net/~Mark-Edwards/cats5.htm

I don't know what to make of this. I know that Senyah isn't doing
anything to scare Buster, and Little Feet has been the epitomy of a
good host.

Could Buster just be afraid of being hurt again, or afraid of losing
his freedom? He stayed indoors with us for over a week, before he
started wanting back out. Maybe he has periodic anxiety attacks about
being abandoned?

Any ideas? I'm really concerned for him.

Rocky, my ex-feral goes through the same thing. For a week or two
he'll be perfectly happy being inside, then for some reason he'll
start refusing to come in, or want out after being inside for a few
minutes. Most of the time I haven't been able to figure out why.

After the first time I babysat for the neighbor's new puppy he refused
to come inside. This seemed strange as he didn't seem to mind the
puppy at all. Rocky would be outside in the shelter I put together for
him when I took the puppy outside, and they seemed to get along well.
Rocky even put up with the puppy sharing the food bowl.

Then a couple nights ago I saw that Rocky was giving the table a wide
berth. I keep the pet carriers under the table, and had put the door
back in one of carriers so I could put the puppy inside when she naps,
since her first thought after waking is to urinate. Rocky had noticed
the door, and is no doubt remembering the last time the carrier had a
door he was whisked off to TED for shots and neutering. So perhaps
Buster is just noticing some subtle change, and isn't sure what to
make of it.

Little Bit is another one who doesn't like any changes. Just putting a
folding chair in a different corner of the room throws her off, even
if she had been napping in the chair just before I move it. Her
favorite morning spot is the corner of the bed, which catches the
morning sun. If I want to keep her off the bed for a couple days all I
have to do is change the color of the sheets ;-) Instead of the bed,
she'll spend the morning on the floor next to the bed.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Old December 17th 03, 10:46 AM
polonca12000

I don't know why Buster keeps wanting to go out, but I do hope he will start
staying in soon. Best wishes for your health, Mark.
Purrs,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Mark Edwards" wrote in message
snip He stayed gone all day Sunday, and most of the day today (still home
sick, btw). Senyah woke me up around noon to let me know that Buster
is back. The first thing he did was find a comfortable place on the
dresser to lay down.

Pictures at:

http://home.comcast.net/~Mark-Edwards/cats5.htm

I don't know what to make of this. I know that Senyah isn't doing
anything to scare Buster, and Little Feet has been the epitomy of a
good host.

Could Buster just be afraid of being hurt again, or afraid of losing
his freedom? He stayed indoors with us for over a week, before he
started wanting back out. Maybe he has periodic anxiety attacks about
being abandoned?

Any ideas? I'm really concerned for him.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

Old December 20th 03, 03:17 AM
Diane

Maybe he has a territory established and feels a need to go remark it. I
have a neutered male who was on the streets for several months before I
adopted him.

He is allowed out supervised by me. We have lived in two locations and he
seems to establish a territory and he always marks a few spots with urine
or scratching.

If not allowed out for a day or two to do this because of weather or my
schedule he becomes increasingly frustrated and insistent on getting out.
Once out he makes a point of re-establishing his territorial boundaries.

Diane