Pleural Effusion Advice

Old March 20th 04, 06:14 AM
Chaintechee

Default Pleural Effusion Advice

Hello to all, and thank you for your time.

Can anyone offer suggestions regarding the treatment of pleural effusion in a 10-year old male longhair? He presented two months ago with difficulty breathing as a result of the accumulation of fluid in his pleural sac. As the cause ultimately was not infection-based, we are assuming that it is related to some sort of cardiomyopathy that is causing fluid to accumulate.

We've rushed him into emergent care twice which has consisted of centesis fluid removal and a highly oxygenated environment for 72 hours each time. Chronic care has consisted of Enacard to manage his cardiac rhythm and output, along with diuretics (Lasix) and steroids (Prednisone).

We are not going to sell his care short. And while we cannot say that money is no object, we've applied more than $1,000 to his recent care. We are certainly willing to do that again, if necessary, and will manage his care chronically without question; but our main concern is that we maintain a happy and relatively healthy existence for our friend whom we dearly love.

Understanding that this is typically a progressive disorder, we know his long term prognosis may be manageable; but it is ultimately poor. Nevertheless, if we can provide effective non-invasive treatment to give him time and quality, we would like to do so. We also, however, refuse to allow him to suffer or endure any existence from which we would protect a child.

Having expressed our awareness of the realities, can anyone share any specific information, treatment, medication, or other therapies that have been successful in the care of their own cats? Despite our affection for our current vet, and his considerate compassion, I sense that his treatment regimen may be very narrow and conservative. If a more aggressive protocol is possible, without placing our friend (Hobbes) in undue distress, we would like to ensure we do so for him.

Again, thank you for taking the time to read this, and the responses I hope it receives.

Sincerely,

WRH
Old March 21st 04, 09:42 PM
Phil P.

"Chaintechee" wrote in message
Hello to all, and thank you for your time.

Can anyone offer suggestions regarding the treatment of pleural effusion in

a 10-year old male longhair? He presented two months ago with difficulty
breathing as a result of the accumulation of fluid in his pleural sac. As
the cause ultimately was not infection-based, we are assuming that it is
related to some sort of cardiomyopathy that is causing fluid to accumulate.

The first order of business should be having the fluid analyzed. Not all
fluids are produced by HCM/CHF. There are several different types of
fluids -each with different causes. Determining the type of fluid might
help identify the cause of the process that produced the fluid and aid in
the treatment and possible resolution of the primary cause.

Good luck.

Phil.

Old March 22nd 04, 04:15 AM
Hoss

Phil,

Thank you for your insight and advice. His breathing seems to have
stabilized, but he has grown very weak and lethargic. We are giving him
high-dose nutrients to beef him back up and will take it to the next step of
finding out why once he is stable. Please keep fingers crossed for him.