Bad Butter need advice

Old May 21st 04, 04:32 PM
bobm

Default Bad Butter need advice

Got a real problem with Buttercup a 5 year fixed orange tabby who is
very intelligent.

Got her a year ago from the humane society, and her previous family
turned her in for spraying inside their home. I did live in a 2-bd
duplex and everything was fine. Six months ago I retired and moved to a
senior complex here in Monterey. It's a very small 1 bdrm place, and
Buttercup cannot roam the grounds alone for safety reasons. I have to
take her out in the courtyard two to three times a day. She loves it
outdoors and all my neighbors love her a lot. She is very friendly.

Lately though she does not want to come back in. Whenever I bring her
in, she cries to go back outside and if I don't take her back out, she
will urinate or defecate on the kitchen floor. I tried scolding her and
taking her over to where she did it and telling her no-no. It doesn't
seem to work at all. Her litterbox is clean.

I think she goes crazy when anyone tells her no-no or bad kitty, etc. I
think her previous owners traumatized her a lot.

What can I do? I hate to lose her. Anyone have any ideas?

Bob

Old May 21st 04, 06:49 PM
KellyH

"bobm" wrote in message
[...]

Maybe as soon as you bring her in, take her to the litterbox and put her in
it? Lavish her with attention when you come back inside. I don't really
know, just thinking off the top of my head.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old May 21st 04, 08:51 PM
Joe Canuck

bobm wrote:

[...]

The issue appears to be behavioral, however just in case take her to a
vet for a check and be sure to mention the symptoms.

If nothing else, the vet can clear your cat of any medical issues and
perhaps offer some guidance on this issue.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Old May 21st 04, 10:37 PM
~*Connie*~

Is there any chance of you being able to make an enclosure for her off one
of your windows so she can sit outside but still technically be inside?

Old May 22nd 04, 02:15 PM
Luvskats00

In between the period where you take her back in (where she cries and wants to
behavior? Does she meow continuously for hours until you're ready to take her
out again or does she eventually adjust? Maybe, stop taking her out. I know
that you're with her the whole time, she's out, but can you have her perch by
an open (screened) window, instead? I became a supporter of indoor only cats
(years ago) when my indoor-outdoor cat was hit by a car.

Old May 22nd 04, 04:12 PM
Karen Chuplis

There is a thing called a Habikat that you put in your window. She might be
satisfied with something like that between times?

http://www.habikat.com/habikat.htm